How'd it go today?

Treat them like hiring a tree guy.
Talk to the owner. Will the owner be on the job?
Will he do the work or hire subs?
Ask for references from recent jobs.
Check for licencing (if required) and ask for a proof of insurance.
Check BBB
Read online reviews
Wish I was close enough to help more on advice...I roofed for 23 years before I got into trees.

What type/material of roof?

I could go either way. Thinking metal though. its a small rental house I own. I have had 4 guys so far look at it. Only one gave an estimate in writing......but to bad it was on someone else letterhead. Said it was his son....blah, blah .......not a single certificate of insurance so far.

what do think...4K for new metal?

I've been out of the game too long to know prices, but ~420/sq sounds pretty high.

The more different surfaces the roof has the more it will cost (in any material). Metal isn't a bad deal on a big straight roof like a barn. Most houses have enough valleys, corners, edges, and height changes to really bring up the cost in metal as the "accessories" are pretty expensive.

What are your reasons for choosing metal, if i might ask?

Is there any tear-off involved?

How do they plan on installing it? Is there shimming involved to straighten out the roof line? What vapor barrier? Any insulation? How will it be vented?

Here's a pic of my work camp. So far we are having a good week, tomorrow we move into a large storm job (15 busted, uprooting pines)

Attachments

• 1465347762483.jpg
    1465347762483.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 39
Well... I feel pretty damn stoopid. Been a long time since I gaffed myself and it always seems I do it when I sharpen or buy new points.
Stone dead oak had my name on it. Leaning multiple leader. Need all rigged down from over two sheds. No room to pull them over into a clearing as there was solar. Like spiking granite. Got my calf pretty good. I thought I had not got myself all that much and finished out the tree for a few hours on it. Hit the ground at 1PM and took a look.. damn it. Felt like a total rookie. Oh well... Had to go get tires for the truck. Stopped at the RX store on the way... Drove out to the tire shop an hour out and doctored it up on their picnic bench with Levi's help.
Have to teach the kids first aid sometime... LOL.
Live oak tomorrow. Thank god. So sick of friggen dead trees.

Oh man Stephan, sorry to hear that. How bad did it get you?

Keep it clean. I'd take a half dozen superficial cuts over one good stab any day. . .

It is starting to hurt. had some seemingly fatty tissue coming out. Only went in about 3/4 of an inch. Just pissed me off. I have antibiotics in case. But not near as painful as when I did my Achilles. That FN hurt

Sorry to hear Stephan. Puncture wounds suck.
Finished up some dead ash and went to clear around a culvert for the county. Beavers have been damming it up and they need access to fix the problem. Of course they forgot to let the property owners know what was going on. They don't need to let them know but I consider it to be a common courtesy. Was there for six hours and get less than two hours worth of work done. I did get to meet an old timer who was hired by the county to trap the beavers. As serious as he was about it I almost couldn't contain my laughter. The Beavers had been taking out small spruce trees and he informed me that those are bad beaver to eat. He then told me he's eaten a lot of good beaver and bad beaver over the years. Of course he could be heard over comm systems so I had the guys adding their feedback as well.

spu504-500.gif
They are 2.5 " long.. I lucked out Jim ;)
Thanks bro.
http://www.wesspur.com/images/treegear/spu504-500.gif

Walk on tiptoes when wearing spurs on the ground. It keeps them pointed and makes you realize what you are doing. :drink:

I received a phone call today from a nice elderly lady in Minot, ND. She's looking for someone willing to do some tree work. Seems she's called three different tree companies, only to be turned down by all of them.

Here's a picture of the project. Several trees will need to be removed. Many more will need cleaning and reduction pruning. All Cottonwoods. Huge project.

Cottonwood Removal and pruning.jpg

I'll keep you folks posted.

Joel

I'm under the weather gun today. I got 450 small square bales from my whopping seven acre hay field. Pulled 150 off last night and now the rest today, hopefully before the rain that's on its way. That's why I'm up so bloody early, I'll be on the field by 5:30. Avoid the rain, and the heat. All hand picked onto a flatbed and then stacked by hand in my hayshed. I made my daughter drive for awhile for me last night(she's 11) which is all the help I'll see. No friends/family available to lend a hand, but I'll have it whipped up today no problem I think.

Kids nowadays, I had to pay my daughter to help me drive. When I was 11 I would've paid my dad to let me drive. So be it I guess. I think it's important to learn to drive early so I push the issue even though she has no interest in it.

You must be joking.....or some adult is giving her advice.

My kid is quite into making money. She holds down her Sunday chute girl gig where she gets a ten spot plus tips which usually adds up to 20-30$ bones. She harvested our rhubarb of all things this spring and made a small killing selling bundles at the local gas station. So yah I had to pay her. Probably not really but I wanted to actually, so I could demand the focus and attention to detail that it warrants. No biggie, the kid gets money from me one way or another so might as well get something for it.

All the bales are in anyways, mostly done without the kid as she was at school.

Back