How'd it go today?

Say a treeguy got stiffed for a couple K by some weasel, could he ask the yakuza to go collect for him and give them half? Or do you need a prexisting relationship with them. And if they collected for you, would you be indebted to them beyond the 50% payment, as in lay down with dogs, get up with fleas?

Is the yakuza basically the same as the mafia here in USA? I think of the mafia as dirtbags and lowlifes and bums. Sure great movies are made about them, but in reality they are are losers . Somehow the yakuza seem to be more respectable, but I have little idea.

Had a rain out today. So I got 10 hours of maintenance done. Went through a case of grease but at least I know everything got done this week. I was surprised to only find 3 marker lights out between 15 trucks,4 trailers, and 5 chippers. Two of them are on my truck even.

Figured from the radar you'd be rained out Rich. They were promising us on Tuesday we'd get 3" over the next two days, so I didn't schedule a job until Friday...never saw a drop.:|:

Absolutely gorgeous weather here the last dew days, sorry Rich. I finished up that maple trim, way more hacking than any tree should get unless its properly pollarded, but I was mainly following previous cuts at customers request.

IMG_20160310_144508809.jpg

Actually the custy is a very nice older woman down the street (I walked home while I ate my lunch to see my kid and grab a pair of pliers). I pointed out the old cut locations and she said "That'd be fine, but if you can't get there safely you can cut off as much as you want to." I love when a customer cares more about me than their tree. It makes it easier to put in a little more time or effort to do it right. She said her sons would take care of the brush this weekend, so just leave it where it drops. We are now heading back on saturday to chip. I met with her eldest son today, he was a bit overwhelmed by the brush pile, and pointed out a black locust they were planning to cut down. We discussed the lead going over the driveway toward the house about 2' about ground level. I think that convo made him a bit nervous as she asked me to cut that down as well on saturday. More work: YAY!! Chipping the pile from a job that we were not planning on chipping: BOOOO!

Lost a few lights on my 450 today too, well all of the parking lights. Found that while we were bringing this new-to-me (free) swingset home

IMG_20160310_173111182.jpg

It instantly blows the fuse for the parking lights, our most recent suspect is that we hit wires with a pipe when we propped the bed up the other day, will investigate tomorrow.

Road some horses today. Getting pretty psyched on our roping season here. It's quite a thing to work in unison with a such a large powerful animal like that. To me it's like a hinge say. Such a simple thing but in actuality there's infinite layers of detail involved in doing it just right.

They really amaze me with their endurance and ability, such a strong and smart animal.

I learned just enough about riding horses to recognize a lead and change it, usually just before she tried to scrape my leg off on a post. I can just imagine how it must feel to really be in unison with them, that's gotta be awesome.

Leads and how to put a horse on the proper lead is pretty good.

Man I just love working those buggers into a lather, and just like most animals they just love it when they have a clear leader who can give clear signals. Lots of lip smacking going on today. I've got lots to learn but I'm a much better rider now then I've ever been.

Oh Lawdy the freakin world came to an end,almost .My computer took a fit and I thought is was the vid card .Not so,twas the monitor which I had another.The geo thermal puked the compressor ,that sucks .One of the toilets broke it's flush valves .1973 American standard ,had to go to flea bay to find the part.

The good news is my lady friend is not in the family way.Of course she's 68 years old with a tubal ligation .--Old yes,dead no:)

Have you ever been kicked bad by a horse, Squish? They don't seem very smart when they do that, you know the hand that feeds them and all...

I road a neglected horse almost every day for about a year, he was parked outside my N. California shop in a large pasture. His owner was too fat to ride so she said to ride at will. Often saddled up during lunch hour and loved it, the pasture was big enough to stretch out in. I got pretty good, very comfortable with it. A horse walking is a nice velocity to travel. One day leading him through a gate to some fresh grass, i went behind to close it and wham he let me have it in the upper thigh, very close to the middle and what could have been serious. Still it laid me out. Never rode him again. I know that Squish doesn't like to hear that horses are dumb, so maybe it is just that one. :lol:

Oh Lawdy the freakin world came to an end,almost .My computer took a fit and I thought is was the vid card .Not so,twas the monitor which I had another.The geo thermal puked the compressor ,that sucks .One of the toilets broke it's flush valves .1973 American standard ,had to go to flea bay to find the part.

The good news is my lady friend is not in the family way.Of course she's 68 years old with a tubal ligation .--Old yes,dead no:)

I gotta ask. What happened to the compressor? Starter? Valves? Windings?

I road a neglected horse almost every day for about a year, he was parked outside my N. California shop in a large pasture. His owner was too fat to ride so she said to ride at will. Often saddled up during lunch hour and loved it, the pasture was big enough to stretch out in. I got pretty good, very comfortable with it. A horse walking is a nice velocity to travel. One day leading him through a gate to some fresh grass, i went behind to close it and wham he let me have it in the upper thigh, very close to the middle and what could have been serious. Still it laid me out. Never rode him again. I know that Squish doesn't like to hear that horses are dumb, so maybe it is just that one. :lol:

I recall that story of yours Jay. You've got to remember I've lived with my horses for five years and had horses for about seven now. And I've had a few different horses in that time(6, 3 we still have)I've never been kicked, bit, or any of that sort of thing. But I have had my ass bucked off before. I've also been around and ridden many other horses, sometimes in some high pressure scenarios like ropings where there's a lot going on. It's a shame that horse booted you and I certainly won't ever and it doesn't sound like you know why it did, but I can assure it wasn't because it was dumb. I doubt you'll find a lot of support for the horses being dumb theory except from people that don't understand them. It's intricate a relationship/interaction with a horse. One thing that makes it so is the fact that horses have incredible thresholds for pain and discomfort. Something as simple as ill fitting tack or to severe a bit or confusing signals between the riders legs/hands or an unnoticed injury/ailment, or.......

It's one thing to ride a horse, it's a whole other thing to know a horse and develop true horsemanship.

I don't know Jay if you were an experienced rider before hopping on that horse or if the horse was a dead sided/dead mouthed old trail nag, or a highly sensitive, highly trained performance horse. Or if the owner gave you much if any instruction at all. But is it possible that while you were having a good old time, that just maybe the horse wasn't?

I'll know what's up if I get kicked after my horse gets stung by a giant Asian wasp. Sent straight from Japan! Lol.

I was a horse guy for a while. Team penning competitions. Also I rode in the rodeo for a time. Not horses though. Horseback riding was always a pretty magical thing for me from when I was a kid. I do have some natural ability to intuitively read a horse if I get to spend some time with it/own it. I've seen "super experienced" all horseman types try to show me how to do things with my own horse, and I was sitting there going "man, my horse hates you."
One time I had a big quarter horse rear up against the treatment of this old man who was "showing me the ropes." It reared up turned sideways and slammed into his new Ford truck putting a major crease in it. He was irate and I was thinking it was very obviously going to happen with the way he was treating it. I didn't say anything though because I was young and he was the "master."

Same as with dogs, people are almost always going to be the problem part of the equation of a problem animal. If they lie to each other cheat each other chances are they'll be even worse with the animals… "Horse traders."

It is amazing what some horses will put up with. You do have to watch who you let on your horse. I'm still learning the basics of team roping so I get a lot of people wanting to 'help'. Some I appreciate, some I don't.

Penning and sorting is fun. Anything with cattle and horses really is fun.

It's just a hobby for us, local practices, I'm staying out of jackpots until I know I'm not just donating money. I mean I'd like to stand at least a slim chance of winning first. For me it's more the journey with the horses and a social thing. Gets me off the property, whereas otherwise I might never leave. Lol.

Back