How'd it go today?

Is there a thread on different helmet mounted communications devices? Thinking it might be nice to have something for our next barn raising so we don't have to use hand signals or shout over the the telehandler.

For trees, most people seem to use the Sena motorcycle helmets. I bought a head-band one for my crane op to use. Its fragile. The helmet mounted ones are durable. Someone here tried mounted the corded microphone on the helmet brim. Said it was good. I think a bit different performance for tree work than the boom mic, but I don't know.

There is a thread. https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?16683-Helmet-comms&highlight=helmet+comm

Thats cool! Have a good time!

Neat thing about Stig's shirt. Did we ever get pics of those SOTC shirts those guys won?

That is pay back for the picture I posted of myself wearing a SOTC shirt by the Dead Sea.

Great to see you outside the continent, Willie. I hope you are having a super time.

I'm planning a company excursion to Norway in August. Will have to remember to bring your t-shirt:D

P1000465.JPG

Mountains, Gandalf, I want to see mountains again! ( Quoted from memory, might not be 100% accurate)

Because we all ride and own motorcycles and you can take the ferry from Hirtshals on the west coast to Kristianssand in Southern Norway and spend 4 days driving some of the most scenic roads in Europe, without it costing an arm and a leg.
Bring a tent and a sleeping bag and a bottle of single malt and rough it.
Should be a fun time.

Problem is the weather. It rains a LOT in south western Norway ( Sognefjorden gets about 1400" /year)

So I have a back up plan in case we look at a weather report the day before leaving and it says 4 days of rain.

The Harz Mountains in Germany.
About 7½ hours drive, so we can probably do it in 5.

It hasn't quite been decided yet, but I think we'll do it.

That is pay back for the picture I posted of myself wearing a SOTC shirt by the Dead Sea.

Great to see you outside the continent, Willie. I hope you are having a super time.

I'm planning a company excursion to Norway in August. Will have to remember to bring your t-shirt:D

View attachment 66976
Yeppie, fun to do a payback.

Had a cylinder go down on one of the sleds today. Had to limp home. Lame.

Probably have to change the coil pack.

Painting some steel targets later 8)

Well sorry I've been absent in the posting department lately, been quite busy between logging, firing the bosses new hires, and hunting with my boys. Trevier (oldest) has been testing new pellets in his rifles, Prestein (middle) has proved to be quite deadly with the new gamo. My 2 year old seems to be eating his fill of squirrel and rabbit.

With the fire ban on...slow for work

I went to one of the campaign fires yesterday...we drove an hr and a half to get there, spent 3 hrs waiting to be deployed, 7 hrs on the fireground, home by 9pm, 14 hr day.
Our sector was tasked with patrolling a second fire close to the main one, VERY rocky ground, could only get half a hose length in from the road edge to hit hot spots...they have broken several bulldozers on this fire, D8's too!

The sad thing is these fires were lit deliberately...six spots between us and the city, this one took off and has been burning since the 16th.

Australia Day today, we're having a BBQ at the fire station to celebrate two lovely ladies who have been volunteering for almost 20yrs, they run a catering service and donate their profits to the Brigade so we can buy extra equipment and nice stuff for the station...awesome.

Cool about the catering ladies.:)

That is one very long day..and I guess you have to do all that in bunker gear...that is very tough to work in that long, I imagine.

Gary, how's your healing going or gone?

I'm sick today with a freaking cold. I can't even begin to guess how long it's been since I've had a real cold. Sucks.

Rattled out three small but nicely priced jobs today, replaced a tile I broke yesterday on a clients house.
Start a two day lapsed pollard job tomorrow for a strategic analyst who works in NY by coincidence.
Got the phone call today from the job I drove away from pricing thinking "please God let him find someone else"
A previously heavily topped poplar that died in the first year after.
60 odd ft left to ring down at least 5ft diameter at 60 ft, surrounded by outbuildings.
For the first ever time I phoned him up the day after to put another €400 on top of the €2000 I'd already priced it at.

Hey Gary...we wear bushfire turnout gear, which is fairly heavy cotton...but not too bad.
Magnum boots, leather gloves and a helmet, goggles and P2 mask in the smoke.

Hey Gary...we wear bushfire turnout gear, which is fairly heavy cotton...but not too bad.
Magnum boots, leather gloves and a helmet, goggles and P2 mask in the smoke.

That sounds much more do-able. My little bit of experience with turnout gear in an August training exercise doing Jaws and extrications was horribly hot.

Justin...nose slowly healing. I learned something about wound care. Most cuts, scrapes, etc. I have always kept clean, dry, dressed so they would scab over and heal.

This surgery is supposed to heal from the inside out...which means to NOT let it dry out and scab over. They told me the process but did not emphasize it; I did not understand this was a different kind of healing process. I spent the first week doing what I usually do. At my one week checkup the nurse set me straight and I am keeping vaseline on the wound all the time now while it heals. Live and learn.

Dont mess with your money maker Gary! Good thing the nurse set you straight.

Lotsa departments just use structure gear for wild land work. They dont do a lot, so dont get two sets of turnouts. I think that if you do ANY you should have a dedicated set of wild land gear.

The difference is amazing, you are cooler, well protected, and more productive.

I am kinda a gear snob and wear nomex. Frigging pants are 300 bucks.

Back