How'd it go today?

Just got out of a big Land and Forest committee meeting. We're developing management plans for about 2500 acres along our shoreline, representing a real patchwork of previous logging operations. The forestry firms we've contracted with are using a lot of fancy terminology to get at an esthetically pleasing type of species conversion. There are a bunch of aspen and red maple stands that show no signs of releasing their grip without some kind of intervention. Since natural fires are no longer allowed to do their thing, I'm in agreement that some kind of management to promote diversity is a good thing.

Anyways, we're also working of getting what would be the second largest Carbon Credit registration of it's kind finalized. Turns out there is a caveat in the program which states any lands already protected under the law (think state/federal lands off limits to commercial cutting) are unable to register credits. A big hunk of our holdings are off limits to cutting of any kind due to out bylaws, which is throwing a wrench into the works.

Wrapping up a fire protection/species conversion scheme elsewhere as well. Big JD1270 and a couple forwarders have been at for a couple weeks. The guy at the controls is KILLING IT out there. Very little incidental damage. They'll be back to chip all the slash/tops after this crew moves off. They bring in these big semi-trailers and blast them full of chips. Unbelievably heavy, I watched on sink into our parking lot one night. . .

IMG_20160119_143125532_HDR.jpg

Also burned the pile from this summer last week. Pretty slow otherwise.

IMG_20160107_115629926.jpg

Cheers

Did a day of assorted pruning got a truck load of mixed foliage, ash, cherry, oak, crabapple, took it to my friends who raise goats and lambs...it's been so dry they haven't been able to get much fresh fodder. Mr. drives for the milk company as well, and delivers to the bread factory...I went home with six loaves of bread...won't need to buy any for a few weeks. I love trade.

So far we haven't had a callout.
The fires are too far outside our area for us to go on support role either.

Total fire ban for the next four days...that includes chainsaw work apparently ' use of any machinery capable of producing a spark...'

The last 2 days have been real fine, here.
Frosty, with blue sky and about 3 inches of snow on the ground.
Perfect logging weather, it just makes work so enjoyable.
Really makes me remember, why I chose to become a logger 40 years ago:)

My wife likes having a fire outside at night, so yesterday I found a dead, dry spruce with a lot of branches o the way home. Limbed it and bucked it to 3 and 4 foot lengths, then split those.

Last night I made a nice fire behind the house, and we stood in the snow for a couple of hours, enjoying it.
All those knots in the spruce made for a lot of flying sparks, there was a full moon and the night was clear and with no wind.

It was really fine:)

590a51369162fdc7a0f3c212f3a748b9.jpg

Posing next to a fishing pole at the point furthest south in the U.S. Guy was fishing for yellow fin tuna.
e404cb18149c077a0a5dd5da8662259f.jpg

Stig's shirt down there looking towards Antarctica.
8cc01a512362c887bb1a532e4e657902.jpg

Ancient natives used to tie their boats to these holes in the rocks. The wind and current is so strong blowing/going south that if you went adrift no one was coming after you. Nothing between there and Antarctica.
f83cb22313e462966799b108f47d55c3.jpg

Sea turtles on the black sand beach.
6343b2b60e6e9aade980186fd676868a.jpg

Hoorah...wonderful place to be. My brother-in-law was stationed there with the Navy about 6 years. I never thought I would ever go to Hawaii at all.

We went FOUR times. We would get a cheap flight, he would take 2 weeks off and put us up (free place to stay that overlooked Pearl Harbor...we could see the airfield from the deck on the hillside) and he would be our tour guide. Each trip we visited a different island. On one trip he bought a 39' sailboat before we came, taught himself to sail, he took it out sailing once before we got there, we re-rigged all the sails with about a mile of rope when I got there (we were knee deep in ropes in the cockpit during this process...he had me ride the bosun's seat up the main mast to work on the antenna (all fun stuff for this tree guy)....then we sailed to Molokai (next island over) and stayed on the boat for a week as we explored that island. (I didn't learn the full sequence of sailing/learning to sail events until we were well into the adventure!!...but he had just retired as a Lt. Commander from subs so he knew how to navigate already...and he is a very quick study in almost anything.)

Anyway...don't get me started...we had some wonderful adventures there...took the kids each time...first trip they were both preteens...later trips they were teenagers. Good times.

Tell Jon, "Hey!!!" I met him at the WCGT redwood climb....a very like-able fellow. I have enjoyed watching his career progress.

Is there a thread on different helmet mounted communications devices? Thinking it might be nice to have something for our next barn raising so we don't have to use hand signals or shout over the the telehandler.

Hoorah...wonderful place to be. My brother-in-law was stationed there with the Navy about 6 years. I never thought I would ever go to Hawaii at all.

We went FOUR times. We would get a cheap flight, he would take 2 weeks off and put us up (free place to stay that overlooked Pearl Harbor...we could see the airfield from the deck on the hillside) and he would be our tour guide. Each trip we visited a different island. On one trip he bought a 39' sailboat before we came, taught himself to sail, he took it out sailing once before we got there, we re-rigged all the sails with about a mile of rope when I got there (we were knee deep in ropes in the cockpit during this process...he had me ride the bosun's seat up the main mast to work on the antenna (all fun stuff for this tree guy)....then we sailed to Molokai (next island over) and stayed on the boat for a week as we explored that island. (I didn't learn the full sequence of sailing/learning to sail events until we were well into the adventure!!...but he had just retired as a Lt. Commander from subs so he knew how to navigate already...and he is a very quick study in almost anything.)

Anyway...don't get me started...we had some wonderful adventures there...took the kids each time...first trip they were both preteens...later trips they were teenagers. Good times.

Tell Jon, "Hey!!!" I met him at the WCGT redwood climb....a very like-able fellow. I have enjoyed watching his career progress.
Same here Gary, never thought I'd see this place, waaay cool

Back