How'd it go today?

Just got over a case of P.I., mostly on the forearms and belly. I must be building up an immunity, it wasn't near as bad as in the past. Back in the sap again, removed two lightning struck pines that were just dripping. I know what a fly on flypaper feels like.

I've worked cutting trees here in northern Manitoba for 40 years now and never had those ailments.
In this part of the Boreal Forest we have no poison ivy, oak, ticks etc.

I could really do without Canada day right now. Its feels like every month there's a forced holiday of some sort.

I love holidays. Working all the time non-stop grows old. I'm the owner and my guys are regular payroll so the holidays even cost me big bucks in stats. Cost of doing business. That's why I said we opted to take the monday off as I never short payroll ever, if the fella's wanted to work it and just take the tuesday stat I would of lined it up that way.

Back in the day logging during a summer shutdown I'd go fall for a contractor and found those guys were working 7 days a week and their production on the weekly scale was poor.
I told them to take weekends off and just work 5 days a week.......some of them thanked me and they were making more money.

The others they just kept frying up full breakfasts and lunch in the lunch shacks and kept up their "spinning their wheels" 7 days a week.

Reg, I competed against Ron back in the day. I came close to beating him in the 100c stock saw event at Sayward in the summer of 1988, I spent some memorable times at his home in Cowichan Lake with his family and New Zealand friends who competed in the summer circuits.

Cool. From what I was reading about the spirit of the circuit, sounds like everyone was a winner. Is Ron still in good health?

I've worked cutting trees here in northern Manitoba for 40 years now and never had those ailments.
In this part of the Boreal Forest we have no poison ivy, oak, ticks etc.
Very fortunate you are. Some of our trees are so wrapped up with ivy that you can't see bark for many feet. I guess it's a small price to pay for living in paradise.

I love holidays. Working all the time non-stop grows old. I'm the owner and my guys are regular payroll so the holidays even cost me big bucks in stats. Cost of doing business. That's why I said we opted to take the monday off as I never short payroll ever, if the fella's wanted to work it and just take the tuesday stat I would of lined it up that way.

I like holidays too Justin, but I'd rather pick my own than keep having them imposed when I cant afford it.

Cool. From what I was reading about the spirit of the circuit, sounds like everyone was a winner. Is Ron still in good health?
Carl Bischoff is a great guy and he too has left logging and got into arb work.
Ron Hartill is 78 now and from what I hear he's still strong and in good health.

I like holidays too Justin, but I'd rather pick my own than keep having them imposed when I cant afford it.

If I understand right you're a sub? So stats aren't gonna work well for you, but if there wasn't stat holidays I wonder how many employers would ever give an employee a day off with pay?

I seem to be less affected by the PI up home since getting into the more virile strains (more leaves?) when working down in KY and Southern IN.

Finished taking down a Honey Locust Sat., filled truck w/chips and trailer w/logs, cleaned up yard, 12 hrs, no crew. Long warm day. Think I felt a little hotter each time I heard one of the HOs kids splash in their pool. The mini really saved me on this one!

Will pick up the rest of the logs and equipment on Mon.

Tried to get some pics but camera went on the fritz somehow.

Camera probably got to hot. Your lucky you didn't !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why should a person get a day off with pay ? I know it the norm, but what makes it justified ?

Well in this case in particular it's to celebrate the union of our nation. As an employer I feel it's justified, I'm proud to give my guys a day off with full pay, it's the cost of doing business. I don't begrudge paying it at all. As a sub you won't get paid and it doesn't cost you anything other than a day off without pay. If things are structured that tightly for you that you can't afford to take even one day off every couple of months that's a tough spot. As a sub/freelance climber it's suprising to me that you wouldn't be able to set a day up if you really want to on a 'stat', if there just isn't that much work around there what does it matter as a sub if it's a day off due to a stat or just due to no work?

Well in this case in particular it's to celebrate the union of our nation. As an employer I feel it's justified, I'm proud to give my guys a day off with full pay, it's the cost of doing business. I don't begrudge paying it at all. As a sub you won't get paid and it doesn't cost you anything other than a day off without pay. If things are structured that tightly for you that you can't afford to take even one day off every couple of months that's a tough spot. As a sub/freelance climber it's suprising to me that you wouldn't be able to set a day up if you really want to on a 'stat', if there just isn't that much work around there what does it matter as a sub if it's a day off due to a stat or just due to no work?

I have plenty of work Justin, or opportunity to....but my hands have been tied somewhat. Since our daughter was born just over 5 years ago now I've been down to 3,4 days a week max....because Ive been looking after the kid on the days my wife works and vice versa. Financially it wouldve made far more sense for me to work the whole time and her to stay at home....but she been working and supporting herself since she left home at 15, so having having her own independence in that sense is a hard thing to let go of, which is fair enough. I wouldnt have swapped having my kid 3 days a week for any amount of money....Its been magical. But hard on the pocket. Especially with all the cost involved with emigrating 3 years ago. So when Im forced to lose more days (stat holidays) out of my 4 day week, its not so good. It wont last for too much longer, she be starting kindergarten in September, so things will change then. But its been tight I can tell you. I dont begrudge anyone else getting Stat holidays, or time and a half overtime and other such perks....its just that I've never had them so dont comprehend the obligation so well.

There aren't stats in the UK? That's where you're from isn't it? Or you've always just been a owner or sub?

I thoroughly enjoy holiday days so I can spend time with my family/friends and to just unwind and leave the grind behind. To me it seems like without the 'forced' holidays I may never take a break.

Kids can present a challenge financially/timewise for sure. We only have one and she's nine now, so much easier.

I've been a sub for 20 years, and was employed 5 years previous to that in the UK and Oz....but there weren't too many perks. Some cash at Xmas as I recall. Moving countries and starting over was the killer. I had no work lined up when I got here either....and it takes time to build a rep. I have no regrets though....just a lot of catching up to do :)

Having( like you) moved to another country and stared from scratch one sometimes get so focused on getting established you lose sight of why you took the plunge in the first place.
Lots of bank holidays here in France, I embrace them. I'll potter around in the workshop but never actually bend my back in anger.

I've been a sub for 20 years, and was employed 5 years previous to that in the UK and Oz....but there weren't too many perks. Some cash at Xmas as I recall. Moving countries and starting over was the killer. I had no work lined up when I got here either....and it takes time to build a rep. I have no regrets though....just a lot of catching up to do :)

It takes time to establish in a new area for sure. There's always competition, keeps it lively I suppose. Seems like we get more and more 'tree' companies around here all the time. I take it all in stride. I'd be surprised if a climber of your skill level didn't have all the work they could handle in a market like Victoria. Big trees weed out the weak.

I'd be surprised if a climber of your skill level didn't have all the work they could handle in a market like Victoria. Big trees weed out the weak.

Yeah its reassuring in that sense....still very competitive though. If the municipalities were stricter on the guys who are spurring all the trees that are supposedly being retained, there'd be a whole lot less competition.

I hear you there. Not many around here seem to know about treecare. Hell I have to fight the topping thing constantly here. My pet peeve really is all the 'companies' around that just pick off the easy stuff and can't actually handle the tough stuff. Its a double edged sword, I let everyone and anyone know to refer jobs my way that they don't want but at the same time it pisses me off that they'll cream off the easy ones.

Yeah I dont think theres a lot you can do about it. Other than set the bar high when you're pitching. Certified, insured, workers comp, equipped, established....no damage nor drama....regardless of whether they ask the question. Then the next bidder needs to at least offer the same to be in the running. Amazing how many guys successfully sell collateral into a job as unavoidable. When really its just because they dont have to know how to deal with a situation. But if they're good at sales, the homeowner is none the wiser.

I hear that. I don't get much worked up about it. Nature of the business for sure. I'm pretty good at selling it, although a big majority of my work comes from referrals and those are mostly a slam dunk regardless of price. I push everything when I'm in sales mode, put the insurance, compo, and quote right in the customers hands and encourage them to get the same from other bidders. I have no problem if it's a standard affair telling them to go for the lowest bidder, but if it's involved I'll sell myself as the best viable option. I love the big/hard jobs, that's where the money is.

Its a tough one being a Tuesday and all, buggers up the rest of the work week. I decided to take today off as well to keep my equilibrium level. :D Now that I work at a tree nursery (aka farm) I don't get paid stat holidays or OT so I have to be careful of what I do and don't work, the mortgage dont care about my stress levels.

Back