How'd it go today?

Good discussion re rain work. I'm kinda with Butch, not a fan of working in the rain, so hard to get much done compared to dry days. And yeah, Reg's wind firming job in hard rain sounds nuts to me, more power to you, Reg, hard core. Reg, are the wind firmed trees going to be cut eventually for timber or are the aesthetic trees? Either way, I guess spurring all over them is not a big deal, eh?

Reg I'm guessing your big Katanaboy hand saw plays a big role wind firming in the rain, a small chainsaw is going to say "no mas" after working in heavy rain for a bit, afaik.

You ever notice how, after working for a long time in heavy rains, even though while working things were going more or less normally, you are extra exhausted later??:/:

Ive been up lots of firs that have been previously spurred Cory....and that kind of wounding does make a mess, but they survive. Cowichan is logging country....so even groups of trees that are marked for retention have got it coming sooner or later. Hand saws are good where a job demands lots of climbing but sporadic cutting, and accurate pruning cuts. But where theres lots of cutting they will put hours extra on a job. Waste of time....that includes the katanboy. Re: the rain stuff, beggars cant be choosers, so Im not in a position to say 'not today'. Consider also that a company might book me for a day 3 weeks in advance....and I might not have another day free for another 3 weeks thereafter. So something really bad has to happen for either party to cancel.

Edit: I'd never admit to being tired, Cory

Reg my old friend Ron Hartill lives in Cowichan Lake, he also has a 2nd home in New Zealand. Back in the day he was 7 time world lumberjack champion and last job he had before retirement was with Husqvarna.

You probably see him around, if your not too young to know who he is;).

Reg my old friend Ron Hartill lives in Cowichan Lake, he also has a 2nd home in New Zealand. Back in the day he was 7 time world lumberjack champion and last job he had before retirement was with Husqvarna.

You probably see him around, if your not too young to know who he is;).
I just googled him. I know plenty about him now. Boy he was a monster, aye Willard. Did you ever see him compete ?

Cowichan lake is a beautiful area. Seems to have its own climate even....lots if rainfall, comparatively. On the way to our most recent job site there's a stand of second growth firs all around 180 -200 feet, only 3, 4 feet dbh. Covered in moss with lots if dead standing and fallen trees throughout. Its like an old growth forest, but it isn't. But to see and breath it is encouraging to say the least. I hope its gets spared.

I have noticed that when people fold up my estimate sheet after I give it to them they never call me back.

Same here, and the check with the wife thing. We've talked about it before, best to just deal with the wife.

Been blowing a gale most of this week, had to put tuesday's job of till next week as it's the only day I can do it. [dealing with husband]

Little trimming job today for a guy in a wheelchair, probably about 50. Very happy, even sent me a text later saying thanks for such a good job.

Every week I try and win the lottery, but I already did. Not a day goes by I don't think how lucky I am.

Sitting in the doctors office now, waiting for a prescription for this poison ivy. It's all over my arms and in between all my fingers. It's miserable when I get it like this.

Another hope killer is when the guy says he needs to talk to his wife. I'm thinking, "well, you are either a pussy, or you are lying"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Women are often the decision makers, they can also be cheap, going only for the lowest price. I always try to do the pitch in front of both. Get a feel of who's pulling the strings.

Yep, try to suss that out during the qualifying process on the phone...Does it make sense to meet with you and any other decision makers so that there are no crossed wires?

P.I. Sucks. Hope it stayed above waist. The doc will get you shot up and taken care of.

Thank god it stayed above the waist Sean!

Oral Ivy really works. That, and long sleeves.

Never heard of it but if it works I will def pick some up! I should have worn long sleeves but i didn't have any in the truck and I had a crane so I just sucked it up and did it without them.

A really bad case of Oak or Ivy is an unforgettable experience. I had mine once, never got it before but then was completely covered. Talk about miserable. I can sympathize. Might have been worse then the chicken pox, which I also remember. :|:

Well, after two weeks of really good days I guess I can't complain too much about today...we are all home safe and no damage to anything so I'll take it, but it sure was a rough one right form the git-go.

There is a compounding pharmacy in Shawnee Oklahoma, I believe, that has a three dose regimen to take in the dormant season that is supposed to help. I believe that it would be available other places, as well.

PI is the worst. I've had it bad before.

Did a crane job today. A big cottonweed that we prepped and brushed out yesterday. Only took the crane 40 min's on site to finish it out this morning.

Now we're on a four day weekend. Tuesday is Canada day so we opted to take the monday off and make it a real holiday!

I could really do without Canada day right now. Its feels like every month there's a forced holiday of some sort.

I just googled him. I know plenty about him now. Boy he was a monster, aye Willard. Did you ever see him compete ?
Reg, I competed against Ron back in the day. I came close to beating him in the 100c stock saw event at Sayward in the summer of 1988, I spent some memorable times at his home in Cowichan Lake with his family and New Zealand friends who competed in the summer circuits.

Back