How'd it go today?

I did see a huge wasp today out behind the shop, it's body was easily as long or longer than my thumb. They can cause a shot of adrenalin of you think they might be coming after you. More often than not they are minding their own business, but if you give them reason to think that they are being threatened, they will aggressively respond.

So they will attack/sting humans? What is the sting like, worse than a "regular" wasp?

Ha, I remember one wasp that hit me, there was a nest low in a pine to be removed so I went there a few days before the job with a pole saw and figured I could slice off in one stroke the skinny limb it was grown around, it would hit the ground and I would run, then could sneak in later and spray the nest. I don't know how he did it but about a quarter second after I touched the limb with the pole, they attacked and got me good right on top of the dome, yeeooooowwww

And Jay, are bees threatened with mysterious declines in Japan like they are in North America?

Looking good Bots!

Dropped these two today. Had the smaller one dropped and cleaned up in 2 hours. Bigger one is almost cleaned up, just some trunk wood left. 660 and 441 were acting up near the end so I couldn't finish cutting it up.
ezujudep.jpg
uquqysu8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freightliner Bud, it's a rough truck, hard to tell from that pic.

Agreed Squish. The 660 is something simple hopefully. The 441, idk. It started killing itself a few seconds into the cut every time.

Brought 2 guys in to help get finished and was out of work by noon. Now just waiting on FedUp to get my new phone to me. package missed the delivery truck this am...they might be sending it out tonight...not sure...if they make an "attempt" i must be here...if I have problem call...can't call til I get phone..."don't try to pick it up where we told you to pick it up it might be out for delivery"...

I'm pissed. ready to leave town for the week and they can't tell me where the package is or if it will for sure be here today, tonight, or tomorrow. these people suck.

Freightliner Bud, it's a rough truck, hard to tell from that pic.

Agreed Squish. The 660 is something simple hopefully. The 441, idk. It started killing itself a few seconds into the cut every time.

Might be obvious but check the screw top on the spark plug, the thread can wear and become loose.

Two flats same side on the dump trailer after finishing a oak removal for a new addition, carpenters arrrg. Thankful I keep a pair of spares on it and I won't have to buy a pair as my off casts for the super duty will do to replace them Thursday. Home bound to change out a rear air tank on the bucket so I can crane off some live oak wood with the winch that has no room to be caught via ropes.

I haven't heard of the bees in decline here. The Giant wasps entering the hive, I wondered that myself, MB, just have an opening too small for the larger predators to get through. Only a partial solution, apparently.

The sting of those giants is far from pleasant. Once I was trimming the hedge out behind my shop, and ran into one. I must have upset it. I went and hid out in the shop for about five minutes, and even though the hedge is a ways from the door, immediately after I walked outside again, it came right after me in a straight line. I took off running and it stung me through my flannel shirt in the middle of my back. I thought it odd that it still had the memory of the encounter at the hedge, I guess they don't easily forget. It immediately felt like getting hit in the back with a baseball bat, a dull impact like pain, but the worst part was what started up the next day or two after, itching like I couldn't believe at the sting spot. You wouldn't think that itching would make you want to die, but it was like nothing I have ever experienced. Pretty incredible poison that melts human tissue, I read, and apparently the itching is the tissue trying to reject the infection. I guess it lasted about four or five days. Really terrible! I've read the sting described as initially like being plunged with a hot nail, but I found it more dull wallop like. A second time and they say you could be a goner. You do hear about deaths as a result. I'm rather paranoid of those wasps, and they are quite common during certain times of the year, like now. :\:

I haven't heard of the bees in decline here. The Giant wasps entering the hive, I wondered that myself, MB, just have an opening too small for the larger predators to get through. Only a partial solution, apparently.

The sting of those giants is far from pleasant. Once I was trimming the hedge out behind my shop, and ran into one. I must have upset it. I went and hid out in the shop for about five minutes, and even though the hedge is a ways from the door, immediately after I walked outside again, it came right after me in a straight line. I took off running and it stung me through my flannel shirt in the middle of my back. I thought it odd that it still had the memory of the encounter at the hedge, I guess they don't easily forget. It immediately felt like getting hit in the back with a baseball bat, a dull impact like pain, but the worst part was what started up the next day or two after, itching like I couldn't believe at the sting spot. You wouldn't think that itching would make you want to die, but it was like nothing I have ever experienced. Pretty incredible poison that melts human tissue, I read, and apparently the itching is the tissue trying to reject the infection. I guess it lasted about four or five days. Really terrible! I've read the sting described as initially like being plunged with a hot nail, but I found it more dull wallop like. A second time and they say you could be a goner. You do hear about deaths as a result. I'm rather paranoid of those wasps, and they are quite common during certain times of the year, like now. :\:

Jay, that reminded me of a guy I met that had a train horn mounted on the front of his Harley, and a 5hp Honda air compressor mounted on the back. He had a key fob rigged up so he could blow the horn from a couple hundred feet away. The idea was to wait until someone was checking out the horn and hit the button. It was Dang loud at 60 psi, I don't know what it would have been like standing in front of it at 130 psi. Well, he was at Bike Week in Daytona, sitting in a restaurant when some big burly biker walked up to check out the air horn. He gave it a toot, and I guess it must have really pissed the guy off, because he hung around for five hours waiting for him.:lol:

Having 'my' new hives around is super cool. I really like checking it out. Today rode the horses down the fenceline they're against. Amazing to me how non-agressive they are and that the horses don't seem scared of them. Almost a zen like thing to be on horseback surrounded by bees. During the day there is obviously thousands flying around. The hives are just humming.

There are a couple woods rigs around here with train horns mounted. A few beers and the owners can be a pain in the ass. . .

So I've been rattling around in an 80s AM General 6x6 Dump truck hauling logging slash. Boss came and found me to have a look at a top that blew out and hung over our main access road. Nothing spectacular, but it should be fun. Laying almost horizontal.

Anyways, a few pictures of the tree in question, and two gnarly hangers that will need attention as well. The second one is pretty sketchy. I don't want to hook a cable to get it off the stump because it's sure to mule kick and slide down the adjacent tree. I don't want to go nip at it with a saw for $20 and hour. Honestly I would use explosives to get it off the stump. . . that would be fun :D

DSC03847.JPG

DSC03849.JPG

This one has been up for a few years. Needs to come down. Also over the main access road.

DSC03850.JPG

And this is the big dog. What do you think? Explosives! haha

DSC03851.JPG

DSC03853.JPG

DSC03852.JPG

DSC03854.JPG

Once the forwarder is done collecting brush We'll take out that top over the main road. I'll get some pictures.

Cheers.

If you've got machinery around set a line up in a couple of those, espescially that gnarly one and rip it down. Sacrifice a old rope or set some wire.

I hear you Squisher, that is the plan for the dead white pine. I'm going to cut out that maple top, but I'm reluctant to set a wire in that last tree, I can see it sliding back on a hell of a tear. You're probably right though, we really don't have many options.

Depends what you have to pull with. I've pulled over some pretty healthy trees before with cables, by accident even, while yarding. Sometimes a line or a second one in a different spot if there's a couple machines around. Pre-set it all and then give it a yank when they're around/available. Have a back-up plan if some or a bit of cutting may help the machines. Like cut a shallow face/kerf/backcut/whatever, that won't come too close to tripping them but will make the machines pull bust them down easier.

Puzzles for sure though! Nasty.

Heres the beekeeper tonight at my right hand homie's job. He sent her up in the bucket to screen off the hole to the hive. They'll get rigged down and hauled away in the morning. I stopped by here today and got stung a few times.

Cool! I saved two honeybee hives last year with a crane it was quite a buzz! No one got stung though when we did it, not once. Are they all riled up? How'd you get stung?

We prepped the trees for the crane the day before and worked right around the hives and no one got hit.

Back