How'd it go today?

A guy guy still owes me $600 from about six or seven years ago. I probably would have forgotten about it, but it must have been about the coldest couple days of the year and in the snow, removing trees prior to a house construction. He skipped. Bye bye money. He has skipped out on a lot of people, I later heard.

A guy guy still owes me $600 from about six or seven years ago. I probably would have forgotten about it, but it must have been about the coldest couple days of the year and in the snow, removing trees prior to a house construction. He skipped. Bye bye money. He has skipped out on a lot of people, I later heard.

This makes me want to go after him for your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, August. I called him a couple times, he promised to bring it, but never did. i gave up on ever getting paid. He moved way up into the mountains, because people were after him, is what I heard. I knew him from before, we had worked some jobs together. Only one other time did i work for him, and it was hell getting paid. i thought I had cleared that potential problem with him prior to the last one that he skipped on. I should have quit while I was ahead. Live and learn....

Years ago there was a Logger boss who never payed on payday. I knew this about him before I took the job. When the first payday rolled around, sure enough, he didn't have the money to pay us. Everyone walked dejectedly away. I stayed, stood there silent. Made him feel awkward. Told him after the awkward silence that I needed to get paid because I had people that I had to pay. He told me that he needed to get paid from the log sale before he could pay. I reminded him that I needed to get paid. Another awkward silence. Finally he asked "you need to get paid right now?"I said yes. He went into another room and got my money. I never had another problem with him on payday again. I cut for him for 2 1/2 years but everyone on the crew always asked me when THEY were getting paid. I would tell them, "that's up to you."
Now, 22 years later, whenever I bump into one of them they will still ask me as a joke, "when are we getting paid August?"

I had a few hard times getting blood from a stone while in the woods but mostly it was cool, I was considered a smaller guy mostly on the crews I was on, I let the 'big' guys make the point most of the time.

Well just waiting for my crew to arrive in the next few minutes(and today is payday lol) as it lightly rains on my cut hay.

Loggers might be bad payers but building contractors are worse, always have to chase them for money. But neither of them come close to the transport industry, still owed six months work from a long time ago.

Got a call to look at a job today, said I'd be there between 2 and 3 but I'd ring first to make sure he was home as it takes a while to get out there. Started ringing about 2 and gave up about 3, no answer but I left a couple of messages.

Came home locked up and he rang, doesn't take messages because they cost 10c each to see. Minimum house price around there is about $700,000 and he's a bit above that. Going out tomorrow now, so much for saturday afternoon.

My other worst experience trying to get paid, was when working for a contractor with a trust fund. He actually said to me once, as i was pretty much speaking for the group of us that needed our wages, "I don't see how you guys can live so hand to mouth". How can you explain if someone has to ask that? I don't begrudge anyone for having a trust fund, it could be real helpful, but it does seem to create a whole different reality from that which most working people know.

I've been stiffed a couple of times, not much, a grand each time.
The most recent time I got done a couple of builders on the same project lost out on 40 grand each.
That's bankruptcy figures for a small family business.

I've been stiffed a couple of times, not much, a grand each time.
The most recent time I got done a couple of builders on the same project lost out on 40 grand each.
That's bankruptcy figures for a small family business.

I have a tree service contractor friend of mine who got jacked for 35,000. He wanted me helping him as a sub on the job and I told him no because the woman managing the project seemed… Evil.

My other worst experience trying to get paid, was when working for a contractor with a trust fund. He actually said to me once, as i was pretty much speaking for the group of us that needed our wages, "I don't see how you guys can live so hand to mouth". How can you explain if someone has to ask that? I don't begrudge anyone for having a trust fund, it could be real helpful, but it does seem to create a whole different reality from that which most working people know.

Hand to mouth, wow yeah, his question made me sit there with no response too but it does describe me.

Loggers might be bad payers but building contractors are worse, always have to chase them for money. But neither of them come close to the transport industry, still owed six months work from a long time ago.

Got a call to look at a job today, said I'd be there between 2 and 3 but I'd ring first to make sure he was home as it takes a while to get out there. Started ringing about 2 and gave up about 3, no answer but I left a couple of messages.

Came home locked up and he rang, doesn't take messages because they cost 10c each to see. Minimum house price around there is about $700,000 and he's a bit above that. Going out tomorrow now, so much for saturday afternoon.

Ode to a tree man, or should I say, in light of this recent context, "owed to a tree man.
"It's amazing how much I hear my story on this site.

I have a tree service contractor friend of mine who got jacked for 35,000. He wanted me helping him as a sub on the job and I told him no because the woman managing the project seemed… Evil.

One of the reasons I let it slide was whilst pricing and doing the spec with the client I had a feeling something didn't smell right. I sort of blamed myself, I should have listened to my instinct.

Not getting paid large sums can really be a life wrecker. It happened to a friend of mine twice. The second time his wife basically kicked him out from the family home. They had a couple kids too. She didn't just throw him out, but chased after him kicking him in the butt. My friend meant well and did very nice work, is all I can say. I lost contact with him, he may have turned to dust. :(

I got my butt beat by work today. Its been a bit since I got spanked this hard. We took an oak down and the only access we had was 10' between two houses and the neighbor wouldn't let me use the mini because he has a gas line 3 feet underground. I couldn't change his mind. I dragged brush all day pretty much and am smoked. Been a long time since I played groundman. Climbing has its tough days but dragging brush all day is just pure labor.

When I was working in New Zealand as a contract climber in 99-2000, I recall pulling over a a big back weight Radiata Pine with a toyota 4x4. It was the company owners vehicle. We didnt use a straight pull, rather a 2:1 incorporating the base of a nearby tree, because I was worried about the tires spinning with a 1:1 pull. We measure the tree at 130 when it was lying there after. Mike, the company owner, was greatly relieved that it had come over safely and stayed on course. He questioned me on the whole thing afterwards i.e. the rigging, line angles and the falling cuts, and after Id finished explaining, he replied 'I wish I knew what you know'. Which was a complement I suppose.

This week was pretty tough. Big tree's, sketchy trees, topped off with a couple big back leaners with a house right behind....both side weighted too. Underpriced, with just me and a 19 year old kid, a good one at least. The kind of stuff that saps a lot of your mental energy, as much as the physical work. After they came over I thought, same as Mike said, 'Thanks God I know what I know':lol:

Still amazes me how relaxed and expectant home owners are while youre doing this kind of stuff. They dont know me from Adam....and a mistake would be life changing for all parties. I think in their shoes I'd at least be asking some questions about the methodology before letting it happen.

Reminds me of when the crane operator had the flu and forget to set the locking pin on the jib. It swung free back into the boom and the oak tree came down crashing into the roof...fortunately the edge of the roof. After some moments of silence, the elderly couple inside that had been so nice and calm, serving us tea and stuff at the break, came out of the house huddled together and shaking. You couldn't help feeling sorry for them. If people knew what was going on above.....

HO's put some serious trust in us. Its not like we are plumbing or paving their driveway. We could mess their world up a lot faster then the other tradesmen.

I got my butt beat by work today. the only access we had was 10' between two houses and the neighbor wouldn't let me use the mini because he has a gas line 3 feet underground. I couldn't change his mind. I dragged brush all day pretty much and am smoked. .

Whoa that musta driven you nuts, knowing the gas line was 100% safe. What'd you do with the wood? How's the climber doing?

'I wish I knew what you know'.

Reg, did you ever do any logging or at least cutting a lot of trees out in the woods where a mistake has little to no consequences? I think it would be tough to learn all about falling while only working in residential settings.

This week was pretty tough. Big tree's, sketchy trees, topped off with a couple big back leaners with a house right behind....both side weighted too. Underpriced, with just me and a 19 year old kid, a good one at least. The kind of stuff that saps a lot of your mental energy, as much as the physical work.
Yup. Sideweight can be scary stuff, especially when it is underpriced;)

Still amazes me how relaxed and expectant home owners are while youre doing this kind of stuff. They dont know me from Adam....and a mistake would be life changing for all parties. I think in their shoes I'd at least be asking some questions about the methodology before letting it happen.

Question: Do any of you ask the homeowners to get out of the house before you make a huge cut that you are confident in but if it went wrong would crush stuff and kill folks inside? I do on occasion. Not sure if that makes me extra professional or just the opposite:/:

HO's put some serious trust in us. Its not like we are plumbing or paving their driveway.

Like the Jim Carey line in the Cable Guy", You'd be surprised how many customers treat me like snot, like I'm a goddamn plumber or something'. HAHAHAHA

Last HO I asked to please not be in the side of the house we were working over that could have proved really bad while we were dismantling over it, replied; "oh, that's ok. You aren't gonna hit the house anyway are you". and promptly went back into the house. Had that pondo gone wrong, it would have cut the house in half. Game on I guess..

I hear ya. But as they say, it would be one hell of a lot easier to fix a house than a human life.

Rule #1- Don't Kill the Customer.

Back