How'd it go today?

Changed a water pump in the 7.3 burning some nuggets in the rain and saw service during showers. Placed a good order with treestuff, and found a good new beer:)

You can't just put bees out in their boxes and pretty much leave them to do their thing, can you? Maybe it's over here that the bees need more management because the giant asian wasps will enter a hive and kill everybody. It's pretty gruesome to watch that happen in a video. A wasp can fly alongside a bee in mid air and bite the bees head off. Gnarly predators to bees, you have to put out traps for the wasps, and just hope. Anyone who might think that these wasps wouldn't be better off extinct, is misguided. This is the time of year when they have reached full size and are flying around looking for meat. :\:

This box turtle comes up every time I clean fish and begs. He's pretty cool. You've got to watch your fingers though. He'll stand up on his hind legs and flip over backwards trying to get a piece just out of reach.
image-8.jpg image-7.jpg

You can't just put bees out in their boxes and pretty much leave them to do their thing, can you? Maybe it's over here that the bees need more management because the giant asian wasps will enter a hive and kill everybody. It's pretty gruesome to watch that happen in a video. A wasp can fly alongside a bee in mid air and bite the bees head off. Gnarly predators to bees, you have to put out traps for the wasps, and just hope. Anyone who might think that these wasps wouldn't be better off extinct, is misguided. This is the time of year when they have reached full size and are flying around looking for meat. :\:

That is crazy. How long before they appear over here??

Are the wasps worse than usual or, though formidable, are they the same as ever, and the bees and wasps are in a neutral standoff overall, neither side gaining ground, overall numbers holding steady?

I've heard that those wasps in Japan wreak havoc on the european honeybees, but the native japanese honeybees have developed a defense and attack them in a 'swarm' if they enter the hive and will usually fend off wasp attacks? Any thoughts/knowledge on that Jay?

Here as I understand it the bees will be pretty much left alone to do their thing, not much tending needed. There is an electric fence around the hives to keep bears out.

I watched a cool video about Japanese bees that kill the wasps by engulfing it with their bodies so the temperature is elevated to a killing temp for wasps. Takes a while with lots of casualties. I guess the Japanese bees try to kill the scout wasp so it does not come back with buddies to decimate the hive. I guess European bees dont know this trick.

We have two sites on the place with about a hundred boxes on each site. The bee keepers come along and take the full boxes and replace them with empty boxes to keep the bees producing. Around here we get paid in honey, and apparently the money made off of honey production only covers the operating costs of keeping bees during the times of the year when they are not is California, Oregon, and Washington pollinating trees and crops.

If a lone wasp enters a hive, the bees will swarm it and cook it if they can. The problem is that the wasps will often go and get their buddies from their own nests, and attack in formation. The bees don't stand a chance.

I don't think this year is any worse than usual, it's an annual headache for bee keepers. I did see a huge wasp today out behind the shop, it's body was easily as long or longer than my thumb. They can cause a shot of adrenalin of you think they might be coming after you. More often than not they are minding their own business, but if you give them reason to think that they are being threatened, they will aggressively respond.

Can't the beehive's entrance be a bunch of little holes that only the honey bees can fit through?

(A few teaser pics for my cali bud Stephen :) )

Removed a fruitless mulberry that HO said they planted 35yrs ago and never pruned it, lots of branches....fit that whole pig in box, minus trunk wood, chips overflowing a bit

My bandit model 90 packs em in tight :thumbup:

Helped out out of town today, stopped in at the campground of the Music Festival I'm volunteering at this week on the way home.

One to top, 2 to drop, drag some brush with the mini tomorrow and I'm outta here for a musical vacation.

Have 2 guys coming to help. Ive been exhausted the last couple days and I'm glad their coming up to help and glad to pay for it.one

New phone should be delivered tomorrow as the old (washed again) isn't working the best. New stumper teeth also coming. Acquired brake handle for 200t and it is getting installed tonight.

Back