How'd it go today?

Just curious, what made him look like that to you

She could have been the owner, the way she carried herself, but pretty young still. The older guy just had the owner vibe, seemed to be the only one really interested in three shelf tiers of clean saws, and he asked what I needed to make if they hired me. Seemed pretty casual at the same time, which I thought was a good sign, his hardhat worn at a jaunty angle.

Hope to see her again for sure, she has what appears to be great enthusiasm....I mean buying a milll and stuff, and wheeling the big rig. "Yes ma'am", might have to enter my vocabulary. Is that how you say it? :lol:

Easy day. Birch and hickory, climb chip, leave wood at stump....oh wait. While i was in the tree i over heard bryan and the custy talking. Couldnt hear perfect as i had my volume down, and saw blaring. Turns out the custy asked bryan if we can move the wood, on the other side of the house. Being the nice guy he is, not thinking, he totally agreed to do so, instead of asking me, or checking the w/o. Lesson learned, mini was home, no wheel barrow or caddy, bryan solo moved and stacked all the wood to the other side of the house, bottom cut was 22"

Am i a jerk?

Could be the start of am I a jerk thread....but no, you probably gave Bryan some business advice that will aid his future. He's kind, it's not such a bad quality.

Sounds like lesson learned :)
TD'd an incense cedar up the hill in Mariposa Pines yesterday with Katy and Seth... Cut and chuck and chip and chunk. Branches went on the driveway above the chipper and the wood in an 8X8 square I made with a few logs we lowered after I threw the top. Mostly dead but still sticky.
Katy is still learning the ropes so I got shook a couple times. I just cut accordingly and braced. :lol:
She's getting better. I need some new 1/2 line instead of the 9/16ths, that would have helped.

Then today I joined Rob at the site he was on yesterday and cleared willows out of a creek bed. :P
Talk about culture shock.:|:

Being a jerk is part of being the boss. Not being a jerk too much. If you don't know when to be a jerk, you're company is in trouble. If you start to enjoy being a jerk, your company is in trouble too.

Im to nice a guy, so i figured it was a good situ to make a point.

Good kid just forgetful and spacey. Best rope runner ive had though.:lol:

My help has a walk in the park, to be honest.

ya, with your iron, B.

I'm beat. Home at 730. Didn't get out the door until 9a, then fuel chipper and truck. Worked at a golf course/ country club. End weight reduced and slight canopy raise on a 130' doug-fir. Whooped!! Tomorrow will be a rest day, at least for my arms. Less than one tank of gas in the 200T and less than one in the ms361, and less than 6 gallons of gas, and we had about 8 yards of chips. Cones are heavy this time of year, too.

I had to help clean-up today as secondary groundie could only work until 230-3p today, and brush hadn't started hitting the ground until 11a. Secondary groundy is good for brush dragging and chipping, but too smokey in his personal life to focus enough to be good groundie. He did get a bunch of pictures today. Put 'em up later.

Dinner time and some chores.

Extracated two 1/2 ton giant Bird of Paradise from giant pots on a balcony...some interesting rigging needed, a rubber mallet and a softball figured in the setup, haha.

Crane truck action all day, 1000lbs of potted plant was NOT going to be moved by two girls and a Philipino!

One got swung down and replanted on the property, had my helpers dig the hole, fill it partway back in because I thought it was too deep, I was wrong so I got in the hole and shovelled it out again, couldn't ask them to redo something I'd made them do in the first place.

The other one had to be cut in half up on the balcony and the halves repotted in the original pots...must be 50 gal or more clay pots. Got filthy with mud, potting mix, and shredded bird of paradise roots, had to to use the 361 to cut the rootball crane to pick them back up and place them in the pots...what a mess.

I had to google dat!

img_0439.jpg

Strelitzia, the Strelitzia nicolai is the biggest, I've removed heaps of them, they can grow to about 30' and spread. Heavy as well, full of water usually.

65172915.jpg s2.jpg

We did a dead Radiata pine today. Tight spot, small backyard and a new fence they just got erected right next to it. :roll:

A few scratches, cleaned them up now it's time to wash the dust down.:drink:

Damn what a week. Last Friday our stumper sheared some U-joints. Tuesday the 3500 had a fuel pump failure. Got it back today, they had to clear the lines as well. Take it too the job, load up the trailer, start it up and it dies. Suspected air leak or broken gasket somewhere, supposed to have it fixed by the am.

Then to add insult to injury our drive shaft on the chip truck broke today. This just isn't our week. Hoping for a smoother next week, starting a 5 day removal project tomorrow. Stage the brush for the chip truck Monday.

Did you get the Chevy straight? We had to change the fuel filter housing on one of ours, it would lose prime and just give it up.

Smashed a window today in a storm door. Lowering wood right over a house. A little piece of dead wood shook loose and ricocheted around the tree and out of the tree, off of a porch roof, and into a storm door window. I was disgusted. I had a carpenter there within a half hour taking measurements and headed to get a new piece of glass cut. It was fixed within an hour and half. Called my customer to tell them that we had a little unforeseen headache but that it was fixed like brand new. They were blown away and all confused that I paid for the repair. Telling me I went over and above and have left them speechless. Im thinking "No I didn't. I broke it. Its my place to fix it." makes me wonder who their last tree co was.

I didn't fix it. I called someone. I am under the gun to get caught up on work big time. About to lose Penn State account and one or two other big spenders. Im way behind because of a series of mechanical break downs. I cant break stride in the tree right now.

You are young, the time to pull out the stops. A good way to learn about your possibilities as well. Knowing what you can accomplish is good.

Back