How'd it go today?

This was the annual cherry weekend at my place.

20 years ago I planted a couple of dozen different cherry trees.
When the berries are ripe, we invite friends and neighbours to come and pick as many as they want, so the place has been buzzing with people all weekend.
The cherries haven't been this fine for at least 4 years. Perfect weather for them, so they are big, and REALLY ripe.
I think there will be quite a few people with a bellyache tonight:lol:

Going with a crane operator today to look at some jungle. Around thirty trees to remove, mostly Red Pine and Chestnut, some leaning over a second house. Lots of clearing to get the crane in, one of those have to work before you get to work jobs. They want an estimate, but I somewhat know the folks. Like to get the work.

I booked a couple of days work today and will put a bid to remove one of the biggest lombardies I've ever seen. Thing was probably 9-10 ft dbh!! Yesterday wore me out, it was 100 degrees in the shade and we spent a healthy chunk of the day chipping...made a good week a great week but I sure wish I had a steady and diverse enough income stream to take er a little easier on the tree work in these hot months.

Oh, and I'll be employing the 2013 BCTCC champion for 3 days at the end of this week...man I'm looking forward to ground guying it for a couple of days!!

California of Canada...lol that sounds funny.

True name is the Okanagan Valley and yes it is the California of Canada, some of the best apple orchards and wineries in North America .
I have to say the tree guys who work the hot summers there, work damn hard for their pay .

Spent the last two weekends on my roof, scrub off the mold, bleach, patch, then this weekend paint...got a line right across the roof from chimney to gable, put a micro pulley on it and clipped in with my lanyard on the bridge...back and forth, up and down, bare feet (better grip), long sleeve TH t-shirt, long pants, wide brim hat, shades (our roofs are all painted white), 10' pole and roller, 2litre cooler, cold beer in the fridge...Looks nice and fresh now, rain goes straight off the roof into the tank.
Last week while scrubbing, it paid to be clipped in, I slipped on the damp mold and was heading for the concrete 10' below...'doink'...checked up on the rope and lanyard...whew!

True name is the Okanagan Valley and yes it is the California of Canada, some of the best apple orchards and wineries in North America .
I have to say the tree guys who work the hot summers there, work damn hard for their pay .

I was chuckling because I think of Cali as a strange land of nutty people and communist politics. The thought of wine didn't even cross my mind. Good to know

Land of fruits, nuts and frosted flakes.......

Killed another grey pine solo today. Rob was on the same 120 acres with Matt hacking at brush. I had already brushed out a corridor to drop it into from out of some erratics. Landed and rolled as planned. Mini made short work of the brush. Yarded a 20' X 28" log out of the rocks down to where I can buck it up on Thursday when I go back to do some mistletoe removal on the same parcel. Good day.

I was chuckling because I think of Cali as a strange land of nutty people and communist politics. The thought of wine didn't even cross my mind. Good to know
I should have added this to my last post,
take a look at a map of North America and notice Ontario ,Canada is as far south as California. A lot of people don't know that and think Canada is all up north in the cold.

This was the annual cherry weekend at my place.

20 years ago I planted a couple of dozen different cherry trees.
When the berries are ripe, we invite friends and neighbours to come and pick as many as they want, so the place has been buzzing with people all weekend.
The cherries haven't been this fine for at least 4 years. Perfect weather for them, so they are big, and REALLY ripe.
I think there will be quite a few people with a bellyache tonight:lol:
Ya got that right! The cherry tree in my parents backyard produced a bumper crop this year the misses and I have so far made five pies and have two dozen pints of jelly all ready and the tree is still producing.

DO you guys get that cherry/pear slug that eats the leaves? Our trees are defoliated regularly in the season...ashes or builders lime apparently will keep them at bay (my cherry tree in Tasmania...) any comment?

take a look at a map of North America and notice Ontario ,Canada is as far south as California. A lot of people don't know that and think Canada is all up north in the cold.
Well true but Ont. is north of Ohio and it isn't Palm Springs here in the winter time .On the other hand it isn't like Hibbing Minnisota either thank heavens .

I don't think of California as south really either. I mean it has a southern portion. I live in south Louisiana 40 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. It's just a weird one to use as a reference point for warm or south. Texas. Now Texas is a good one.

I don't think of California as south really either. I mean it has a southern portion. I live in south Louisiana 40 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. It's just a weird one to use as a reference point for warm or south. Texas. Now Texas is a good one.
Now we need some comments from our members down under:lol:

Well you can't get much souther than where Bermy hangs out in the summer.::lol:

I'm about the same latitude as Myrtle Beach SC and San Diego, it's pretty good weather here.

Felt like I was in the Amazon today though. Took down five big privets covered in this stuff. Anredera Cordifolia - Madeira Vine. http://www.lanecove.nsw.gov.au/our ...oxiousWeedDescriptions-Anrederacordifolia.htm

It sure can climb and it gets a hold on if it's let go. Cut and leave, lucky for me but not the creek it came from.

I took some pictures but it was too dark down there and they didn't come out. Looked like this with some lantana thrown in.

cats-claw-smothering.jpg

Great, ain't it:D
Yep, aside from the constant calls from my mother "bring the baby and pick some cherries".
DO you guys get that cherry/pear slug that eats the leaves? Our trees are defoliated regularly in the season...ashes or builders lime apparently will keep them at bay (my cherry tree in Tasmania...) any comment?

No we don't have any slug issues on the pear or the cherry trees, biggest threat to the cherries are birds but even they can't touch this years production.

Back