How'd it go today?

Hows that 38 special workong, justin. Still keep pondering about getting one myself. You can pm me if youd like.

The 38 special has worked out great. I don't grind a ton but I've got about 400hrs on it now. No breakdowns. Mine was one of the early ones and the rubber guarding kind of lacks but that would be my biggest complaint. 38hp direct to the cutting wheel seems to rip pretty good for that size of machine.

Cool tree. I wonder why we don't have Eucs in Louisiana?

That looks like a Eucalyptus Nicholii, you wouldn't want them. About the worst Euc there is, useless timber and always full of dead stuff and biting or stinging things.

They also just fall over in storms, just a few surface roots. I've removed more of them than any other tree.

Postponed job this morning, old guy and he sounded real real crook on the phone. My old clients keep dying off.:(

Couldn't find anyone else at home so worked here, I've always got plenty to catch up on.

Heat and humidity have been kicking our asses this week. It rained for about 5 days straight, finally let up Sunday, so we've been going at it playing catch up. Lot of pruning these past two days, dead wooding some nice red oaks. Doing a maple removal and crab apple pruning tomorrow assuming the weather holds out.

Hot and humid here, too! Tranny went out on my work truck yesterday. Did a small job this morning, then came home and started pulling it out. I'm not looking forward to it!

First day on a three day job. Brushing out three willows. Crane for the wood on thurs. new crane op on the same and only crane I've worked with. Easy peasy job for us to get acquainted on.

Brutally hot here today too but no humidity.

I still suffered I don't even have a clue of how y'all do it down there. I'd die. I start at 6am right now rollout and push the 7am bylaw quite regularly. By 1pm I'm toast in the heat.

The heat just doesn't quite seems as bad after being in Vegas for a couple of days, which is nice cuz it normally wears me right out. I am still, however, drying out from the weekend so today I was glad to be able to have an early start and get the most out of the workday by 1. 3 fir to dismantle in a relatively tight LZ and one to drop, went pretty danged well. Had the FIL out helping today, and the last time he came out we worked a 13 hour day without a lunch, so we made sure to be civilized and have a sit down lunch, went back and tidied up and then hit the lake for a dip.

Today is both my 40th birthday, and, by design, my last day working at State Parks, though they desperately want me to stay. Last time my alarm will go off at 520 am, at least for a while. Last time to rush out the door at 6am, at least for a while. Gotta go work for the Man.

All prepped for tomorrow. We got a wild honeybee hive in one of the arms of the willow. We're going to crane it off and a beekeeper is coming to salvage them. It should be interesting!

Taking the tops down on about 25 trees in the woods for vista pruning. Did about 15 today and came home ad passed out.

Im about to. I made my way out of the woods and flopped in the passenger seat of the truck and told my groundie to pack up and "get me the hell out of here". The humidity is nuts here lately. If it was 60 degrees and less humid, I could have nailed that job in a slightly long day and made great money. I made it to noon and was thinking "This isn't worth an injury or being sore for the next 2 days." They're all 60 foot trees and the top 10 feet are blocking a 10 mile view. Its not my finest work, but it isn't a complete butcher shop scene either. Im trying to go easy but also be realistic at the same time.

Kicked ass today. I've got some pics too but I guess I gotta get a app or something in order to post them

Craned out a ton of willow today and saved the honeybees. Ended up finding a second hive in the middle tree and picked the whole thing off set it in my trailer and delivered it like 10 mins down the road to the keepers place. I called him and let him know we found a second one and I could practically hear him grinning through the phone. When I dropped the second one he had already cut the 1st log open and had the bees swarming on a proper box. He mentioned the 1st hive were incredibly gentle bees. No smoke and no one got stung, no protection of any sort.

Big time karma boost saving those bees!

Forgot to mention one of my main competitors worked directly across the street. Humping some heavy fiddle fart over pruning down through a field. I'm the only one around here who utilizes a mini/grapple. Useless today though. Picks were healthy. 2g from the furthest out to just over 5g in close. The crane op said he was good for 10 up close but we ended up light because it was so rotten. 5g of rotten willow is a chunk.

Back