How'd it go today?

I retrieved my dads old double bit axe that has to be at least 60 years old .Polished it up and stoned the faces .The old boy always used a stone and I found out why .That SOB is so hard a file won't hardly touch it .That thing has got some good old USA made steel in it. None of that China stuff back then .

Katy and I put on our "save the tree" hats yesterday and righted a 40 foot tall pondo.
Renter on a property we work was taking down an oak tree that was pretty much holding the little fellow up. Over it went. Across a pond dam and road. Gave it a light trim while it was bent over and rigged a pull line from up a grey pine. Had Katy pull the tree back up with the mini and I locked the line off with a prussic. Couple three years and I'll be able to let it stand on its own. HO happy as a clam :)
Should only have to climb the larger tree to pull the gear as I made it retrievable with a biner, loop runner and a Q link in the little one. :)

Wearing a camelback is making the hot weather bearable...weak lemonade and a pinch of salt, or 50% gatorate/water.

Working on a multi stemmed white cedar (Tabebuia palida) that was badly topped some time ago, my second visit to restoration prune. Each quarter of the tree is taking about 3hrs, 2-3 branching leaders in each area, two sizes of silky and secateurs, lashings of suckers and sprouts up, down, up, down, repeat. Can be wibbly wobbly too.
Not pushing it in the heat, just because I say a job will take two days doesn't necessarily mean two consecutive days haha!

Ugh. About to do a big irrigation move. Being a farmer in my 'spare' time is a little like having a 2nd job at times.

I feel ya brother. I am just the associate rancher here and the plumbing falls into my department as well...

They sure can be cute critters though. Kinda worth it:|:

Attachments

• IMG_0174ed.jpg
    IMG_0174ed.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 38
I wouldn't trade it for the world. Our animal count is getting a little ridiculous though. We've got another horse now so four. I hate to admit it but Willie was right my quarter/Arab is up for sale now. Tired of the spooking and occasional bucking.

Got about half of next winter's firewood stacked in the shed.
That went real easy..............

I paid the neighbours daughter to do it:D
She'll stack the rest tomorrow.

The hard working cute one, yes!

For stacking firewood, hardworking matters more than cute.

You horse guys have any interest in those free Mustangs from the range out west??

Worked with Bixler taking down a nice big grey pine, 38"- 40" trunk, all wood stayed and dumped chips on site, thank goodness! :)
always fun working with Brian

I don't know what's happening with the tree guys here of late .They have some work but usually this time of year they are snowed under with work.Evidently none of them are enjoying a highly profitable summer ,odd indeed .

I soaked my clothes in sweat today grinding stumps with a grinder that went dull. Putting in 3 days later this week down by Philly. Going to be close to 100 and high humidity. I am not thrilled about that.

Back