How'd it go today?

This week being normal auto industry vacation shut down has been 8 hour days ,A relief from the 10 and 12 hour days of the last 3-4 months 6-7 days a week .

Soooo about every other day it's been about a face ,half a cord of splitting on my wood pile. That is until it gets into beer thirty which I never miss .:|:

Well of course not in damn near a tropical climate most of the year. Actually the last few years the frozen north is not as frozen as it once was. Which does not annoy me in the least .--Fer crips sake I've spent at least half my life shivering like a dawg chitting razor blades in winter---Sucks ---

Not really. The beetles are around still but a huge percentage of the pine is gone now so that's helped to hold them in check. I still do a good deal of bug kill bit I'm not seeing as much fresh kill. This year has been lots of elms not due to any blight other than most all of them around these parts seeding super heavy. That's enough to push people towards removal. I've been doing a ton of big trees (for around here) this year lots of 36" dbh plus and in the 100' range. I've specialized into only large tree pruning and removal.

I've been so busy I turn away anything on the smaller end of the scale. I feel really lucky to have gotten to where I am business wise. But still the heat kicked the crap out of me this week. I find the bigger trees make the day go better and they command the high dollar too

Not really. The beetles are around still but a huge percentage of the pine is gone now so that's helped to hold them in check. I still do a good deal of bug kill bit I'm not seeing as much fresh kill. This year has been lots of elms not due to any blight other than most all of them around these parts seeding super heavy. That's enough to push people towards removal. I've been doing a ton of big trees (for around here) this year lots of 36" dbh plus and in the 100' range. I've specialized into only large tree pruning and removal.

I've been so busy I turn away anything on the smaller end of the scale. I feel really lucky to have gotten to where I am business wise. But still the heat kicked the crap out of me this week. I find the bigger trees make the day go better and they command the high dollar too

Hell yeah :thumbup:
Nice you are in a place to choose the work now :)

I'm still staying small though. Seems like to much that could go wrong to ever completely take myself out of the equation. Just the control freak in me I guess.

We were trimming hedges near the capitol city yesterday. All the gear was at Richard's place, so I left Sam dog at home for once and rode my motorcycle to work.

What a fine way to start the day, a 5 o'clock 30 mile ride through a slight morning mist and the sun low on the sky.

I missed having Sam to watch the truck at work, though.

Making room at home with a nice fire, need to remind myself more often that it pays to not bring it home. Started last night fed it till 2am and back at it since 7. Be nice to have some space back.

It's been raining about every day .This time last summer we were in drought conditions .Once again over a several year period the precipition will about equal out .

Did some residential work yesterday. Climbed and chunked down a 100'er Doug-fir for Amy's boss, then went to a previous customer who had a 36" fir, but short to fell away from his neighbor's garage, a climber doug-fir and some ground fells. Both were Put on Ground Only jobs. Have to go back to the second job for some cable inspections and to bid cabling or removing of a large double-leader fir, maybe going 130', again Put on Ground Only. Its nice being a professional mess-maker.

We were trimming hedges near the capitol city yesterday. All the gear was at Richard's place, so I left Sam dog at home for once and rode my motorcycle to work.

What a fine way to start the day, a 5 o'clock 30 mile ride through a slight morning mist and the sun low on the sky.

I missed having Sam to watch the truck at work, though.

I always missed my dog! Not much compares to a quiet ride on the bike headed to make money though.

I met up with a out of town client first thing this morning, he has a beautiful property over looking the Bear River, anyway he came up for the holiday and first thing noticed a large Black Oak broke off and smashed his deck. Luckily it missed the cabin. We quickly caught up and I was off to look at one more up the hill.

Got to the second one, more Black Oaks, again for some really nice people.

I had an ho

Sorry, accidentally clicked post...

Anyway, I had an hour drive to the job, making phone calls along the way. Nice drive, no traffic really. I had to button up a good sized job, when I arrived the stump grinder was doing his thing so I finished up some wood cutting, shoveled some grindings, packed up and got paid. Another one down. Met up with a good friend for a quick lunch and then headed on home. The rest is history.

Arrived at a crane job, a large pine removal near some graves, and the guy who was going to do the above ground work (his relative's graves), had too much to drink the night before. He apologized and asked me to fill in. I didn't mind, just glad that I brought my gear that I wasn't expecting to use. A beautiful and peaceful highland spot way out in the country, overlooking the distant town, the area mostly known for growing grapes.. Everything went well except for the on and off drizzle, the crane operator was a good friend of mine and we don't get a chance to work together so much. The old family home of the guy that asked to assist was just down the hill. His relatives live there, the eldest son and how things come down the line as a rule, a Buddhist alter and photos of departed kin on the wall. I guess it was an aunt or a cousin that made a dynamite lunch for us, never had such tasty egg plant along with fish, breaded shrimp, and chicken and some rice dish with lots of ingredients. Resisted the urge to reach for the carton of sake that was on the table as well, since nobody else did. Tree was down by then. Some of these country ladies are really wonderful cooks. Was given a nice bottle of wine from their field and a promise to come back for grapes when the harvest is being done next month. The lady brought refreshments out to the site three times. Very very nice and appreciative folks and two hundred bucks! :) I noticed one old and lean local villager that was helping out for good will, his being quite adept with a chainsaw working through limbs. Cool to see.

I dig it. I am still not hiring anyone. I like running lean and staying busy. And the liability seems lower.

Ditto. The only "employee" I have is a sub that I sub for as well, so I guess you could say we are each others "employee". It's very bromanticle:lol:

Back