How'd it go today?

Speaking of White Pine sap ... I stumbled on a little trick worth passing on:

I was cleaning my saws, etc. today after cutting those pines yesterday. I sprayed on some WD-40 and used a small parts brass bristle brush to get the sap out of the teeth. The pole saw blade was a PITA. So, I sprayed the hand saw blade and went to eat lunch. When I came back the sap brushed out really easy. Something to remember ...
;)

I just remembered that I put my handsaw away covered in sap.
I'll go and try out your trick right away.

Hope it works for you as it did for me. The brass brush was a big help.

Worked great!
I used the sharp end of the blade of a break-off utility knife, and the sap was sotened up enough that I could just scrape it off then clean the sawblade with a rag.

Thanks Jack!

Wd-40 must have 10 thousand uses .It cuts sap ,grease,tar .It will take dried paint off of finished wood work and never harm the finish .

For getting sap off of climbing rope I rub mayo on it, works ok, you guys got any better tricks for that?

Easy off oven cleaner is great to depitch a tablesaw blade .Daub it on, let it set 5 minites,scrub with a brush and rinse with water .Hardwood doesn't pitch that bad but pine is terrible .

+1 for goop or any citrus based hand cleaner.

I have a spray bottle of goo-gone that works great too. My ropes smell good enough to eat when I'm done!

On that citrus stuff I a have a maple top bench made by Kennedy which I got from work on a pass .

That thing had spent 30 plus years in a hostile greasy environment .About three treatments with citric acid hand cleaner had that maple as clean as the day it was installed .

One of the forums I used to post on was about old machinery .One gent from Australia would get spoiled citrus fruit from the market free and smashed it up in an old bath tub and dunked badly rusted parts in it like bull dozer tracks ,small ones .About a week in that stuff and the rust just about fell off or so he said .

Lawdy I just got through installing air ride helpers on the Merc so it can handle the weight of Mrs Smiths' mobility scooter .They said a two hour job ,more like three and a half .

Took it for test run around the block which in the country is 4 miles .It did just fine so that's that .

The oil in the fat is good for hair. Lather it in, let it soak for a few minutes, then wash it out.

if it prevents baldness you are telling me 10 yrs too late:whine:

Busy week this past week, but one of the better ones this year profit wise I think, even only working 4 of the 5 days. Spent the weekend helping mom heal up from a foot injury, and doing paperwork along with equipment maintenance. Dad and I have too work up a new business plan since I'll be partnered in too the company here shortly. Took awhile but were finally making some headway with stuff and he's coming around more too some of my ideas.

Good to hear you guys had a sweet week. My weeks have been mediocre. Some money, but we aren't reaching my expected numbers. The work is plentiful, but small, and I lost a top producing groundman over the winter and don't have firepower I did at this time last year. The new one is coming along, and if I get a tad busier I'll be bringing in another newbie. I hate newbies. Not them as people. Just the expense and demanding process of teaching them. Im so anal about how I teach and want things done. I make it tougher then it needs to be but I just cant stand the thought of an injury or mishap that I could have prevented by being a more thorough teacher.

Back