How'd it go today?

Yes. A well written piece. My areas of focus and worry revolve around saw handling mainly. Chipper usage spooks me too with newbies but much like Stig, I try and teach anyone under my hand to master a chainsaw and its uses. I worked for companies where if you could start the saw, you could run it. You learned from stitches, close, calls, or bent bars. I try and teach past that stuff. I worry about saws and newbies. I put a LOT of focus into teaching them confident and skilled saw handling. They'll get the rest of the tricks of the trade with experience on the job.

Chris, have you trained many people that ended up being long term stayers in the trade? As Jerry pointed out in his book, and i think something of possibly some frustration to him as a foreman, the turnover with tree workers is so constant and large. Mastering a chainsaw can be a lifetime pursuit.

Ive turned one out to be a lifer so far. But remember, Im only 29 myself. Only been in business 7 years I think. Not how long Ive been at tree work, but how long my name has been on the shirt pockets. Its an exaggeration to say I try and teach newbies to master a saw. But to be proficient. Proficient enough that I don't need to supervise them. So they can run a saw and make safe, efficient cuts while reading tension, pressure, and twist. Any dope can saw rounds off a flopped trunk. But to tie off a lowering line and take a saw and slice a big leader down so it fits into the LZ without the saw making limbs pop, or pinching bars, etc. Basic professional use of a saw. It worries me, and I invest plenty of time into teaching it. I could invest less time and let them figure certain stuff out, but its not my style to let newbies learn from hard knocks. I want to save them the scars and bad memories as much as time allows.

Just thinking that aside from wanting to prevent injuries, it reduces the importance of teaching people anything if they don't stick with it. It may or may not be in someone's jurisdiction to help plan out another person's future for them, it sort of depends how you feel about that, wanting to make a contribution to the trade or whatever, or maybe seeing that such and such person really may not have a lot of options going. :roll: I do know that giving people techniques is not the only thing that will make them stick with the work or not, there is some kind of....spirituality(?) that goes with it. At some point or another, most people seem to encounter the hurdle of remaining in the trade or not, most any manual trades, it occurs. I believe that a lot aren't mature enough to make a totally rational decision about it, not knowing that their feelings are likely going to change more towards the positive with perseverance, and they may well have forgotten their original ambitions. Funny how we fool ourselves. Holding on to people for the advantages to yourself, or at least giving them the impetus to remain in the field, is a skill in itself. Not so much in the old days where there were more formal training systems about that required some commitment to get into, but now people can flop around still making up their minds. The grass is greener is like some exotic perfume under their nose that takes them away.

Its not about their future for me. Its about their safety right then and there. Guys come and go, but while on my clock, safety is paramount. My hot dog top producer that quit over the winter stopped by last night to return some books I lent him such as "The Fundamentals" and Tree Climbers Companion. He is unhappy in his new job. He likes the benefits, but day dreams of tree work. Asked me if next year he could come back. I have mixed emotions. We will talk when the time comes.

I can understand that approach. Personally, I get bored teaching people anything if I get the thought that they aren't going to stick with it. I guess that in some trades more than others, transitoriness is a given.

The less they know, the higher the liability they are to me. No one has ever left my job sites fugged up besides me and I pray it remains that way.

Part of it for me is self preservation as a motivation. I hate the thought of having to go pick up someone's fingers off a table saw for them, or anything like that. There is a bell curve of hzzards, but it never goes completely down to the bottom again since before the first time that they pushed the on button.

Unfortunately I've seen people get complacent around machinery .I've never had to pull anyone out of a machine and I hope I never have to .However I've seen people have some real close calls from being over confident .

Worked solo today on a live oak full of dead over a front walkway and roof. Did half the tree, came down, chipped it all and cleaned up the garden and walk areas. She kept adding on and I eventually sold two more crown raises at the roof and a cable job. She really liked what I was doing.... Nice when it works out that way. Whole tree by itself (well, its a group of stems from the same root system) would have been a one day job with Kat and I working it. But she wasn't up to it. Gave her a couple days off to recover and back we will go with the new list of things to do on Wednesday.
Getting hot this week. It was 100F over the weekend. 94 were I was at today and supposed to hit 107 on Saturday. Called a client and rescheduled a grey pine TD for Thursday as it will be mid 90s then before it hits 100F Friday :P

Little trees work, but very pleasing work, restored an almond that has been wind battered, and first formative prune of a small mahogany in a tight space, then two large pittosporums, deadwooded, thinned and power washed to remove sooty mold and bugs...high value client likes what she saw and is adding on more!
The work site was to die for...right on the edge of a golf course, 13th tee of Mid-Ocean Golf Club over looking the south shore reefs...splendiferous!

Worked on a guy's Stihl 019T yesterday. One of those so called clamshell designs, and a major hassle to take apart. Prying with a screw driver is a secret technique. Five or six hours to put new diaphragms in the carb, and get it all back together. Figuring out the throttle and choke linkage business is good for keeping your mind from going senile. Necessary to take the whole thing apart to get the carb off, then it's required to put it all back together! Call it a major project the first time, it is a very strange configuration. Got it running and went home a free man at 9PM. Walked in the door with an open can of beer. :|:

Took down this little POS grey pine with (my 7yr old son) Levi's help today.. He kept my rope clear as I barber poled the stem and threw the tops. Then he moved most all the brush to a burn pile over hill and dale proficiently and compacted it. Helped rake the smalls.. I mostly moved the big wood. Tell ya.. I was proud of that boy today. And he took pics of his old man to boot.. LOL
Some fodder...

Attachments

• P1010825.jpg
    P1010825.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010795.jpg
    P1010795.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 48
  • P1010800.jpg
    P1010800.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 48
  • P1010803.jpg
    P1010803.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 48
  • P1010805.jpg
    P1010805.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 48
  • P1010807.jpg
    P1010807.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010808.jpg
    P1010808.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010811.jpg
    P1010811.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010815.jpg
    P1010815.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 47
Traded my time to the State today. Taking tomorrow off to take care of some things, including myself...a little follow-up with the chiropractor, who may need some tree work, as it happens.

Cold call at a house within an HOA, for which I do trees, and a couple residents as well, resulted in a dying fir take-down from a guy that is maintaining his late father's house.

Chasing a few other commercial cold calls for dead trees and clearance pruning. Would like to become their 'contract vendor', or go-to guy, so to speak.

Season is picking up.

Couple other irons in the fire...ramping up a bit for the jump from the salaried position back onto my own feet full time. Feel better already, in numerous ways!

I had a young woman at walmart approach me and ask me if I was a vet. I said yes and she called me a hero, hugged me and gave me a card with a long message inside thanking me and calling me a hero. Wow.

Back