How'd it go today?

No climbing on that one, for sure. If a crane/whatnot can't be used, I'd say adios.

Yup, even using a cherry picker, I can't guarantee that nothing will fall on the pool. Chat is they are waiting for something to go wrong so they can get a new one...

Put $700 on it, disclaimers up the yin-yang...if they can get it done cheaper then I won't cry.

Here's a tree I was called to look at to remove...you can't see the neighbour's above ground pool the long branches are over, or the chainsaw cuts from girdling cuts all around the base, or the compost in the crown!!! Totally dead, rotten and falling apart.
I will not take this on my insurance, they just let it go too far. I'll give them a price and get a cherry picker because even little me is not confident to put ANY weight on anything or rig any part on any other part. Disclaimer big time about damage, they have to be prepared to take it on their homeowners as they let it get too far. Does anyone else come across stuff like this?

Pool is behind the new fence, tree is 25 feet high tops to top of sprouts. If the trunk is close enough to the fence I'd just take down a section of that old fence and just fell it. Trunk diameter is big enough to have enough hinge strength with such a short tree.

Hi guys!

Yes...looked at that too, even putting binders arounf the trunk, but the cracks from the base of the 'limbs' go down the trunk, the centre is a powdery mess, the limbs wobble at the slightest touch...
All I can envision, is starting to pull that bad boy through the fence and seeing those limbs break off backwards and 'blam' onto the pool...
Call me a 'fraidy cat...:)

Ha, not to mention the long bar!! I could borrow one though...nah, and ruin my short bar cred with Stig...;)

In that case I'd walk away Fi and you'd still retain your short bar creed;)
For $700 and the cost of a bucket truck plus the time to clean that up..........I'd definately walk away.

Normally don't skid logs - too much impact on the forest. But, had no choice and this method seemed to provide the least impact.

All the {removed} trees were marked by the State Forester for removal.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jJR6wnmhXic?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
There's a state Forest Stewardship program here. The HO asked the Forester to mark some trees that would improve the forest if culled for firewood. So, the Forester marked trees with problems, were a potential hazard, were too crowded, etc., etc. Looked to me, he deliberately left some standing snags to benefit the bird & bugs. There are also some rules on such things as the stacking of brush and ALAP cuts. It seems like a fairly good program. I belong to it too and requires a forest inspection biannually. There's also a minor tax benefit.

Bermy : If they say yes for your bid, you can tie a come-along at the top of the trunk (if you have enough space on the owner's garden to fell it) with a pulley for both a MA and a smoother movement. Aim it straight against the lean and/or the offset c.o.g. You can put a guy line on the side too, if needed. Pull it with a very smooth and slow movement on the handle, no jerk at all. Try to find where some wood is remaining and make your hinge here. No matter if it's in front, middle or in the back, the come-along hold it.
Be gentle on the chainsaw by little touches, listening the sounds in the wood. Pull it again, like a continuous motion and it should come with out losing its limbs nor smashing the fence and the pool behind.

Or ... you tell them to give part of the money directly to the neighbor for a new pool, and just cut it !
Splash !:D

Pretty shitty day, today, but could actually have ended worse.

My good dog, Thais has been dragging his right rear leg lately, so this morning I took him to the vet.
As he jumped into the truck, he blew his left knee completely out.
Both meniscus and ligamenta cruciata. So when we arrived at the clinic, he was dragging two useless legs after him like a spinal injury.
I figured that was the end of the line for him, left him with my friend, the vet, so he could find out if we were to pull the plug or operate.

I went logging, and learned a lesson. Don't log when you are thinking of something else.
I flopped an oak with a thick, low branch which made the whole log corkscrew into the air and on top of me.
Sure didn't see that one coming.

Pinned me down but I could reach the saw and cut a section of the log off of my leg.

I can't believe I only got bruises to show for that. That log was right on top of my leg across the shinbone, should have broken my leg.

Bout an hour later the vet called, they are going to reconstruct the knee. 6 mths of PT and Thais should be able to go back to the woods with me.
Good thing that vet is a good friend who owes me a favour:)

So the day ended well after all.

For a toughish guy, I sure have a huge soft spot for my dogs.
P1000445.JPG

Pretty shitty day, today, but could actually have ended worse.

My good dog, Thais has been dragging his right rear leg lately, so this morning I took him to the vet.
As he jumped into the truck, he blew his left knee completely out.
Both meniscus and ligamenta cruciata. So when we arrived at the clinic, he was dragging two useless legs after him like a spinal injury.
I figured that was the end of the line for him, left him with my friend, the vet, so he could find out if we were to pull the plug or operate.

I went logging, and learned a lesson. Don't log when you are thinking of something else.
I flopped an oak with a thick, low branch which made the whole log corkscrew into the air and on top of me.
Sure didn't see that one coming.

Pinned me down but I could reach the saw and cut a section of the log off of my leg.

I can't believe I only got bruises to show for that. That log was right on top of my leg across the shinbone, should have broken my leg.

Bout an hour later the vet called, they are going to reconstruct the knee. 6 mths of PT and Thais should be able to go back to the woods with me.
Good thing that vet is a good friend who owes me a favour:)

So the day ended well after all.

For a toughish guy, I sure have a huge soft spot for my dogs.
View attachment 46512
All not so bad ... The other hand you have great weather (in St. Petersburg all day today been going strong snow) ...

Sounds like a very intense day & I'm so glad you both survived to fight another day. :)

I can just see you there with an ice-pack eack on your injured limbs :lol:

Back