How'd it go today?

There evidently must be a surge in hardwood usage because I've seen more log piles than usual . Then again with no snow on the ground and it about frozen hard as concrete it's the perfect time to haul it out .

Those are prime saw logs, 12' and 16'. Can't have any visible limb artifacts or other defects, nor spike knots on the cut surface of the log.

Pulp brings $22-27 bucks a ton here.

I could have hauled more logs on the trailer, if I had more to haul. Still, the first load was over 15klbs. Still, bunks would make loading faster.

About the copper sulfate...
The bad guy is the copper, like silver, chrome or mercury. This metal in itself is very toxic for most of the organisms.
A small amount impairs the growth of algae, lichens and other fungi in the pools or on the roofs.
Put a coper wire along the top of the roof, and only by the very small amounts taken by the rain drops, your tiles will stay clean, without algae, lichens nor moss.
Avoid the contact with iron or other metals, though.

For the roots, the tree "knows" nothing about the bad neighbor in the drain trench and therefore it can't want to avoid it. But the tiny roots found it on their way and they are killed, or at least they stop their growth. Other roots around don't have this problem, continue their business and take the leadership. So, the drain stays clear. Until the coper concentration comes low enough to allow the root's growth...

The sulfate coper is a very soluble form and doesn't stay long in place. It's curious that it was used to preserve wood.
It's used for treating the vine but it's quickly washout by the rain and it has to be mixed with calcium carbonate to last a little.

Here's a video from yesterday. I thought it was just going to be a cake walk, but some of the trees really were not at all. I have a lot of respect for good loggers. Just because your on the ground the whole time doesn't mean it is less dangerous. Lots of included bark from co-dominant stems, decay, and some of the Willows were lit on fire in the past so we found it to be a little more dicey than expected. Especially for being in a nice open field with no targets.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ft6ctn9hiD8?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ft6ctn9hiD8?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Cool Fred. Full cleanup on those trees? Why taking down?

Is that a gopro? I just got one today, pretty excited about it. youtube user CTTREECLIMBER subscribe!

No cleanup at all. The trees were being removed because the field is being returned to agriculture. There were Cottonwood and Willow. It has basically been a prairie for the last 30 years or so.

It is the go pro 2. I think your going to like it a lot Brendon, it is really easy to use. The video editing isn't my forte, but I am trying to get better at it. I will subscribe right now to your channel.

Nice video man! That's pretty much what I've been doing the past week or two, expect doing a full clean up. Its nothing with the Gehl though, I've been loving every minute of it.

You guys will love the GoPro. I have the Hero 2 right now, sweet little camera. Wanting to get one or two Hero 3's here soon.

I bought the Hero 3 white. I was going to buy a brinno time lapse, had it in my cart then had a light go off to check out the go pro. needless to say i got one of those. more versatile. I bought the battery back back. im more interested in doing time lapse, less editing IMO. will try it out tomorrow, and for fridays craner. now i want a mini ipad to link it to :|:

Good job Fred... Just a tip... Some of the multiple co-dominant stems, when they are tight like that, lend themselves to boring the back cut... Just a tip. The crispy ones lend themselves to fast feet and hard hats when burnt. Always looking up waiting for the top to go goofy or a limb to cut loose.

I don't do much crane work, but got a job as the climber on a small crane removal today. It's the first time I've ever worked with a knuckle boom crane. They are stronger than they look. I was figuring maybe it was a 15 ton crane, but the operator told me it was 30 tons! The crane was mounted on a big quadruple axle flatbed (two axles up front, two in the rear) so all the wood and brush fit on the flat bed and got hauled off like that. Anyways, all done by lunch time so myself and the crew went out for a leisurely dim sum lunch.

All I have is one crappy cell phone picture that doesn't show much, but here it is anyways.
IMG-20130123-WA0000.jpg

Here's a picture of a similar truck that I stole from someone's website, just to give an idea. These trucks are all over Hong Kong.

cranetruck.jpg

12F out there this morning; balmy compared to you all up north...
just happy all three trees are notch 'n' drop,
so we can get right to staying warm running brush to the chipper.

Good job Fred... Just a tip... Some of the multiple co-dominant stems, when they are tight like that, lend themselves to boring the back cut... Just a tip. The crispy ones lend themselves to fast feet and hard hats when burnt. Always looking up waiting for the top to go goofy or a limb to cut loose.

Great info Stephen, thanks a lot. :)

It is 9* right now and I have two large willows to brush out today and get the wood tomorrow, gonna be cold.
Way to splay em Fred!

Back