How'd it go today?

That's beautiful Jay.. Looks like a really nice day to ride a ferry :)

I really wish I had logging experience... All I have ever done is cut what was marked... No reason why, just marked and I cut. Our lumber industry local is crap. I can make more making it into fire wood than trying to sell a log. Now, if the Alaskan type mill Rob is making works out, I will mill my own rough lumber for simple priojects around here, and if I get a special log, I will sell the rough lumber probably where Willie sold his. He drove all the way down here from Oregon with a trailer load. So it had to be worth the trouble.

I have an Alaskan mill and have made a few bucks making fire place mantles for people, and it helps knowing a mason and a few carpenters.

He's a great client Sean. He really would like more days this year... But we have a rule. No one client can have more than 20% of our business. We just recently rasised it up from 10% rule. He and one other project are who we did that for. So.. He is maxed out. I can replace a 20% loss in business.
Customers like are a wonderful thing and sometimes worth bringing in a second crew.

It is barberchair week here, it seems.
Within the last 3 days 2 fallers have been killed by barberchairs, both within 30 miles of here.
So take care out there, folks. If it has front lean, bore it!

Sad to hear about such tragedies. Do you think low temps contributed?
I've gotten into the habit of boring anything over 12" ... been lucky, never had a barber chair ... touch wood :\:

Noodled a black gum this morning: :|:

Attachments

• IMG_20130125_113135.jpg
    IMG_20130125_113135.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 22
That's sad news.

Hanging around the house. Getting roofing supplies delivered. Getting a new roof started Monday by a contractor friend of a friend. A leaking skylight pushes this project to be done now. Looking at a dry stretch next week. Gonna add a skylight to an interior bathroom for more natural light. Probably right over the shower.

Hanging with Dahlia today. She's napping now. Friday is my full-time day with her, after working four 10's M-Th. Amy works 4-10's Tu-F, currently.

Sad to hear about such tragedies. Do you think low temps contributed?
I've gotten into the habit of boring anything over 12" ... been lucky, never had a barber chair ... touch wood :\:

I don't think so. Both the beech and ash we have here will barberchair at the drop of a hat.
It is really something, we watch out for.

My guess is they were just careless, which makes for a shitty posthumous reputation for a profaller.

Very sad.

Watching 2-guys dig a hole in my garage and install a Tornado Shelter today. They were ready for concrete at 1:30 but it won't be here until 3:30. I guess they dug the hole faster than expected.

We had someone else here (Andy?) do that. I know I'd sure as heck like one! What kinda damage did that do to your pocketbook?

Back in 2011 I filled out an on-line application for a lottery type rebate. They emailed a few weeks ago and said I was selected. I have to pay in full up front but then get 75% of the cost back in 6 to 8 weeks. (75% up to a max $2000 rebate).

That made it one of those deals I couldn't pass up.

Cheap ones are about $2600 here. Expensive ones are $4000. All kinds of prices inbetween too.

All that was left of my in-laws neighbors' house in Shawnee Oklahoma, 1/3 mile away, was the saferoom/ concrete storm room, built above ground, at the time of the house construction.

When you see that, $4000 well spent. A good place to keep important papers, memories, and firearms.

Slow up here in the high desert work wise... Built some nice 2x6 sides for my 99 f-250 diesel. Worked on my contractors license, got organized. Simply Arbor Tree Care is slowly roaring to life. Doing it old school... Truck (hopefully a trailer in the works) 200t, 372xp, top of the line climbing gear, rigging gear, and lots of motivation.

You have a FB business page yet? I'll "Like" it if you do...

Mine is just starting to attract attention... See what happens.

Spent the day a nervous wreck... Rocky slope full of dead trees and brush. Not real big trees today, but you would be severly injured or dead if one of the burnt buggers fell on you. No good escape routes... Felling bar and small wedges. Burn the slash, make fire wood for the HO. Nothing went bad, Felt like one was gonna though. Just sets you on edge and wears you down. Limbs falling out near by.... Cut and try to move through the rocks to safety. Sharpen chain 5 X due to rocks and hard ass kiln dried oak. HO is pulling us off in the AM to do some work on the road. Few dead ones threatening to fall in it. So I will be in a better work environment for felling. Being on edge all day like that just wears me out.
Kids all home from TGIF and got to see my parents for a minute. Kat at work .... she made some bean soup I will be enjoying shortly.
Went by one the the beetle infestations we did and the HO's were home... Got paid which is nice. Walked a pondo grove with them and marked some small trees for thinning. Their tenent will do those. Nothing more than 20 foot high and 5" DBH. Let him have it. I'll do the big stuff and make the real money ;)
Need a day off soon... maybe it will rain.

Slow up here in the high desert work wise... Built some nice 2x6 sides for my 99 f-250 diesel. Worked on my contractors license, got organized. Simply Arbor Tree Care is slowly roaring to life. Doing it old school... Truck (hopefully a trailer in the works) 200t, 372xp, top of the line climbing gear, rigging gear, and lots of motivation.

It all starts somewhere. I started out with no customers base, a climb line, a lowering line, an 88 F250, a 200T and a Husky 288. No pole saw. No rake. No blower. No nothing. My whole business fit behind the seat of that old truck. I sold people on serious work and am pretty sure I shocked them when I showed up with nothing but got the job done.

No FB page yet, but will hopefully have a simple website and Facebook page up soon. Will let you know :)
Thanks, finally decided that I just needed to dive in and go for it. Ha, classic, that's how I feel some days. The community is fairly small here, so going to rely on providing professional, quality work and word of mouth. Just gonna be hustling!

Ian, I get a lot of good business from thorough (I'd hope good) craigslist adds, with embedded pictures showing we are professionals, not the cheap guy. FREE and easy to renew the ads. Fast from a computer or smartphone. Also, good for getting rid of chips for free or rarely for sale, and firewood for sale or they pick it up at the curb in manageable sized pieces which I hand truck or roll off the HO's property if I need to get rid of it and don't want to haul it all. Large limbwood which is usable, but not worth processing for firewood would otherwise have to be hauled and dumped. Good work, keep going. Consider incorporating now. I finally am after 6 years.

Graigslist as opposed to flea bay has the advantage you deal straight up one on one not with the entire world with people you never even see .I've also done real well on local advertising type periodicals .Sometimes flea bay is good sometimes not .

Ha I found a metal lathe on Vancouver Island British Columbia for a member on another site from Craigslist and I'm about 3000 miles away .

Back