How'd it go today?

Yea man, all it took was working with Brendon for a day to sell me on one. I loved it, the amount of work they save is crazy. I couldn't believe how I got along without one after working with one and buying one. The mini was the stepping stone for Gehl loader and I haven't looked back, once you get one you'll live it, production will increase greatly.

I WILL buy one this year. I built this business to the point where it generates work and has a solid reputation. Now is where I'll start bringing iron into the equation. Im not going to go hog wild. But Ive reached that point where I know the business is ready to start getting the work done faster to squeeze more in. Plus, I think that mini will allow me to be far more competitive on certain bids. The jobs where guys are bidding in 2 days of humping brush and logs a long way to a driveway. I think having a mini with a BMG would let me blow it out in a day. Not that I would cut my bid to half of the competitions, but I could reduce the price on those jobs, blow the work out far quicker, and turn a higher hourly net.

Had a weird phone call today.

Guy calls up and says he is my new neighbour.

To my knowledge, none of the houses near me have been sold, so I was somewhat mystified.

Turns out he bought the forest that my land abuts.

He is dropping by for a cup of coffee tomorrow and a talk about maybe having us run the forest for him.

If this pans out, I'll be able to walk to work once in a while:D

Loaders are a must. I've got a wheel loader which costs 3.5x less than my bucket yet it is 4x more useful and labor/time saving than the bucket

So besides the loader stuff, got any interesting details about the Philly job, hows your uncle doing?

That's cool Stig.

Chris, sounds like a great plan. I was planning for the mini in my future, but since I've been working for the State for almost 2 years (time flies) now, I am doing a lot less work privately and am not at that same point. I'd hope that this year might see it, but more likely not 'til next or later. For full time tree services, it seems to be almost sensible as chainsaws over crosscuts.

BTW, Chris, how's Natalie and the family? I was just thinking how great it is to see such a positive post (not that its very different or anything from recent) in contrast to the struggles to Natalie's medical troubles of a bit ago . Just going through two bouts of normal sick baby/ family recently gives only a small, small inkling of the strain of being a father to a seriously sick kiddo.

Cory, nothing interesting. A huge sycamore leader over a house. A silly white pine over a fence. Some stump grinding, and a little brush clean up. My uncle is well. He is getting tired though. I can see it. He is a snail about getting in the tree anymore. Once he is moving, he is fine and makes music. But its clear to see that time has taken its toll and he is eager to buy a log truck in a few more years and finish out his career running logs. He fell twice in his career and the last one was about 15 years ago. He broke a few vertebrae and it didn't haunt him until the last 2 years. He says he feels it now and getting started on the gaffs on cold days has become a struggle.

Sean, my family is well. Natalie had a 50% chance of complications with the new shunt in the 1st year. We are past that one year mark with no indications of trouble. Sickness hasn't struck the kids yet this winter, but its coming. Oh is it coming, Im sure. Is everyone in your house on the mend?

Had a weird phone call today.

Guy calls up and says he is my new neighbour.

To my knowledge, none of the houses near me have been sold, so I was somewhat mystified.

Turns out he bought the forest that my land abuts.

He is dropping by for a cup of coffee tomorrow and a talk about maybe having us run the forest for him.

If this pans out, I'll be able to walk to work once in a while:D

Sweet! Just worked on one like that couple of days ago.. New owners just up the street. We drove though as we were going to use the two trucks to yard brush with. Then the renter from next door (same owners) came over and moved wood and brush with his truck ... Life is nice with out a commute. No biggie forgetting something at the shop either :lol:
Good word on Natalie there Chris. :)

I am a tad tired today... Pruned a couple of apple trees just big enough to be on rope and a couple of little canyon live oaks on her place as well. I marked mazanita to prune for Rob while I was making a mess for him. Then she had me set up a date to prune about 4-5 more oaks in April :) Good day :)

But Chris, you've been saying he's slowing down for a few years now yet he keeps getting it done;). But transitioning into running logs sounds excellent to me.

All are surviving here. Dahlia and I are mostly over it, but Amy is in the midst of it. I don't get it that for someone who's biggest complaint is sleep deprivation, she went into work late on Thursday rather than staying home to rest and avoid getting sick. Now that she's home sick, she hasn't taken any naps and doesn't want to go to bed early. Anybody seen the schedule for those mind-reading classes?

Luckily, our almost-trip over the mountains to open cross-country ski trails on the east side of the Cascades has been postponed for now. The trails are big money makers for the Parks, which they need, but I AM NOT COMPLAINING about not going. Seems they have been closed since Christmas due to snow/ wind damage. I'll work out of Olympia next week, so will be home each night, and Amy and Dahlia will be here with the nanny/ babysitter during the days, or Amy might push too hard and go in to the office or field. In any case, Amy won't be home alone, sick with Dahlia in the evenings next week! Fortuitous for us.

All are surviving here. Dahlia and I are mostly over it, but Amy is in the midst of it. I don't get it that for someone who's biggest complaint is sleep deprivation, she went into work late on Thursday rather than staying home to rest and avoid getting sick. Now that she's home sick, she hasn't taken any naps and doesn't want to go to bed early. Anybody seen the schedule for those mind-reading classes?

Luckily, our almost-trip over the mountains to open cross-country ski trails on the east side of the Cascades has been postponed for now. The trails are big money makers for the Parks, which they need, but I AM NOT COMPLAINING about not going. Seems they have been closed since Christmas due to snow/ wind damage. I'll work out of Olympia next week, so will be home each night, and Amy and Dahlia will be here with the nanny/ babysitter during the days, or Amy might push too hard and go in to the office or field. In any case, Amy won't be home alone, sick with Dahlia in the evenings next week! Fortuitous for us.

I WILL buy one this year. I built this business to the point where it generates work and has a solid reputation. Now is where I'll start bringing iron into the equation. Im not going to go hog wild. But Ive reached that point where I know the business is ready to start getting the work done faster to squeeze more in. Plus, I think that mini will allow me to be far more competitive on certain bids. The jobs where guys are bidding in 2 days of humping brush and logs a long way to a driveway. I think having a mini with a BMG would let me blow it out in a day. Not that I would cut my bid to half of the competitions, but I could reduce the price on those jobs, blow the work out far quicker, and turn a higher hourly net.

I don't have a clue what your budget is Chris, (and I'm not trying to run your business), but I'd highly recommend skipping the mini and getting the Gehl AL140 if it is at all attainable. With the duals off, it's only like 3" wider than my minis. With the duals on, it's a stable little beast. I had Carl price me a Boxer 532 (think that's the correct model) before taking the Gehl plunge. Less than $3k difference if I recall correctly. They show the 140 with 1924#/tip, 960# rated work loads....I know it'll lift and carry 1500 pounds with no big problem. The night Carl brought mine over, I took it to the pile and lifted a big pecan chunk right off the ground with the forks. To load that pecan chunk, I had my two oldest daughters ride the back of the mini with me to lift one end onto the trailer, then grab the other end and lift/slide it on up into the trailer. The 140 could grab the same piece and lift it 7' in the air, no problem.

The Gehl has near twice the ground speed of a mini as well, and next to no turf damage. Just something to think about....

Well there we go. Now my head can spin in a whole new direction now that you've mentioned the 3" width difference. Im just going to have to get synced up with Carlito in the spring. My credit is excellent, I really don't owe much in the world. Im going to blow out the loan on my 350 and see about finding an equipment financing company.

I am so looking forward to a Gehl I can taste it. My Boxer has made me 30% more this year than without it last year, and that was with only part time help. Just yesterday, I was forwarding brush over snow through the woods(really low underbrush) and was infuriated by how easily the low slung Boxer got stuck. Granted, this scenario will probably only play out three or four times a yr here, but working without aggravation is a dream.

I had to satisfy myself about the width, so I took some pics to show the difference.....

IMG_1765_zps6bc22eb7.jpg

IMG_1766_zps6fdf7939.jpg

IMG_1769_zpse8ffbf08.jpg

IMG_1770_zps6e9a55a1.jpg

Most single-width gates are either 36" wide (too narrow for either) or 42" (easy for the mini, carefully with the Gehl), and any wider than that wouldn't matter.

Bwahahaha! Try to stay out of the peat bogs Carl. I haven't found a homeowner yet that wouldn't let us carefully remove and replace a section of fence to forward material of course the $$$ surcharge for handling does help.;)

So, about these equipment financing companies...who knows what about them?

What does a 140 and BMG cost together? How does that work out in rough monthly payments? Does the bucket come standard with the loader, or is that optional, as I imagine forks to be?

What is the weight like on a 140 and BMG?

Haha I wish we had duals for the 540, Dave! That's a 140 only option currently. Also the 540 duals would make the machine around 7' wide, and would reduce turning angles by some degree.

Sean, let's jump over to my dealer thread to continue talks for continuity of information location.

Good day here working for a friend who just bought a house on short sale. What I thought might be a day has now become three because we cleaned it up so nice. Love a working vacation:) Here is my hang time tomorrow

Back