How'd it go today?

The second leaning grey pine over a bunch of trees on that job sucked with a 1/2 life today. TIP at 85 feet up and still no room for every top to line out over the oaks they want me to save. At least the zip line set up kept the damage to the oaks to an all time low. Only had to limb walk over to the oak a couple of times to get hangers out and cut bits out from the pine groing through it. Friggen tangled mess. All over a creek as well. I was hoping to make more money on this job, but the brush off the tree is just being stubborn. Rob tried to get pictures of it and his pad went on the fritz. Thank the tree gods for the Wraptor. Finish out the tops and limbs tomorrow and chunk the rest down to felling size. Crikey what a PITA tree.
I think I will take the rest of the year off!

Alcohol spray is everywhere now here, at the entrance of stores and restaurants, you name it. There are some bad viruses going around, some potentially fatal. A quick splash and your hands are germ free. Washing with soap and water won't kill some. It might be a good thing for kids to do when entering the house from school, etc.

Interesting on that chain, Willard, good to see somebody else getting into the game. That is what i had in mind when suggesting to Bailey's, but as i mentioned, he said liability concerns with the foreign made goods. I bet it could be set up to alleviate that concern, if it is something to worry about. Liability doesn't seem to be affecting a lot of places having their products made in Asia.

There has been a lot of that broncial stuff going around .Mrs Smith still has it and I had a touch which is slowly getting better .

It's that cold wet weather it seems that brings it on .If it gets down below zero about a week it all kind of goes away at least for a while it seems .We need a little dose of 10-15 below for about two weeks .If nothing else it cuts down on the freakin mosquitoes come spring time .The bats and purple martins can find something else to eat or become vegans if that's what it takes .

I plowed snow for 10 hours sick a few nights ago. Twice I considered putting my head under the tire. Plowing sucks. Plowing at night sucks. Plowing at night while sick is just ugly. Fortunately whatever my issue was, was short lived and not crippling. Nothing is quite as bad since quitting smoking. My wellness factor has multiplied. Plus I dropped 25 pounds. I actually feel 28 years old nowadays. I didn't for awhile.

How far north do you live?
It is pretty much a boreal species. We get a winter invasion of them every 30 years or so, except for that they are EXTREMELY rare here.
I've seen 4 in a lifetime of birdwatching, so congratulations to you:D
They are easily mistaken for a large adult female goshawk untill one notices the head shape.

I live just south of their range map. They are listed as accidentals quite a bit south of me. I wish I could get another look at it with the binos. Nothing else I can find in the bird book matches its size, manner, and look, but I wasn't close enough to get the fine points of ID. Bold, smallish, and daytime owl limits it pretty well. Hopefully I will get to see it again. I read online of a sighting and it was a regular resident for a while 40 miles east of me.

Way to go on the non-smoking Chris!

Called a buddy to ask if I could fill up some water jugs at his place and found out he has the well point I need sitting in his barn with enough pipe to get down to my wells current level. I gave him an old chainsaw a while back and wouldn't take anything for it so I'm getting the point and pipe for nothing.:D I'll only have to buy another 10' of pipe I think.

Taking my pump over to the well place across the street to have it all checked out/tested as long as I have it disconnected. Figure it's worth the $50 bucks to know what kind of shape it's in.

My step daughter, her new husband, and his daughter came in from Texas for Christmas. They were all sick with that bug. Hacking and sniffing and snorting. So far we are still OK. Great fun getting sick.

Did you dodge the bugs???

Couldn't budge well pipe to pull it up so hand drove it down another 5 feet. some water in bottom of pipe now.

Tried pitcher pump but needed new leather valve. tried well pump and couldn't draw water.

Dropped elec. pump off to get impeller, seal, etc. checked, installed new valve in pitcher pump, and still can't draw water....presently letting pitcher pump soak to see if it will draw after the leather soaks up some water.:|:

Got diagnosed with bronchitis this morning. Sinus infection just got out of hand.

I suspect it has something to do with the insane work schedule of late. And the fact that my 18 month old has decided that mommy nor daddy need to sleep longer than 3 hours per week( at least that's the way it feels)

Such is life, craned 22 trees out of a backyard this afternoon!

Easy morning. Had a dead beech to rope down. Got there and saw it from a different perspective and snuck it down in one shot between some landscaping. Top shattered into one consolidated mess in the snow. Fast clean up, check in the bank by noon.

Cool!

original_153301.jpg

Got this down to a spar today. Just a little clean up underneath, drop and remove it now that it is of the size to. PITA. This one fought hard to live. TIP was at 85' so about 100' tall. Lined out at least half the tops last visit and limb walked over to the oak they are trying to save under it to sort that tangled mess out. Pine was all through it. So much so you could not see most the tops of the oak. Creek below is a PITA as well. Oh well. Soon to be collected on. :P Sorry no before pics. Rob's pad acted up the first day.

Attachments

• IMG_20130102_113012.jpg
    IMG_20130102_113012.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20130102_140716.jpg
    IMG_20130102_140716.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20130102_140738.jpg
    IMG_20130102_140738.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20130102_143954.jpg
    IMG_20130102_143954.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 19
Went and worked outside of Philly for a few days with my uncle. We always get together in the winter for a job or two. For kicks. Got to use a Boxer for the first time. It was the first time Ive used or been on a job with a mini. Simply put, Im buying one. Im going to hurry up and pay off one of my trucks, which wont take much, and get in touch with Carl. I used a mini with forks, which seem to be a waste compared to a BMG, but still a total game changer in a fenced in backyard. I took some heavy sycamore logs and marched them right out of a backyard and into a trailer. That and some rather long white pine logs. lifted the logs right up over the fence height and through the gate. It was a joke. Now that Ive seen the light, Im sold. It was a gas powered unit on tracks. I myself couldn't find any flaws in the unit itself. Had fair power, didn't leave damage worth talking about on a semi mushy lawn, the controls were user friendly. I could imagine a Gehl style loader would be killer. I sat down this morning and thumbed through a stack of invoices from finished jobs. I took inventory of which jobs were mini friendly, and which were loader friendly. The answer came out to be that a mini is better suited for me at this time. So, Ill start mailing big checks to the bank shortly and nail out a truck loan and give Carl a call I suppose.

A mini is like a GRCS - once you use one, you wonder how you ever got along without it! Good luck!

Back