How'd it go today?

I have heard that Blount has recently acquired GB as well.

I'm glad that I boght 10 rolls of 3/8 Oregon from Bailey's this year. Should keep us supplied for a while.

Just ordered some loops of Woodland/Carlton chain from Baileys and it showed up toot sweet. I have had past experiences that have a run on chain when it is on sale and have had it BO in the past. Sux, but it happens. easy to underestimate what you might need in reels and loops as a supplier when you are dealing with sale on your product and have outfits ordering mass quanties.

I woke up to another 4 or 5 inchs of new snow this morning which puts it up to a foot in less than a week .This might turn out to be one of those winters we might have 30 inchs on the ground after it's all said and done .

The big deal about that is you run out of places to side cast it .

Every so often they would have to line up 5 or 6 trucks abreast and transfer snow from one side of interstate 75 to the other if it got too deep to side cast .

That hasn't happened for a long time .We are however right on the southern boundry of the "snow belt " that with the lake effect is responsible for the weather patterns that bury Cleveland and up state New York every so often .It's never as bad here though than it is there which I'm thankfull for.

We don't get the amount they do in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse for the most part. Every once in a while a Nor'easter brings in snow off Lake Ontario and we get hammered. It's been a lot of years since we had a bad winter and that's alright with me.

Spent the day trying to beat some snow and it never did. So we got two areas cleared for two of three beetle ridden pondos to drop in. These two I have decided to take them down in halves. Top and drop. There were some nice trees and manzanita in the back of this property I would like to see undamaged. The third one we still have to clear out brush to get it down, but it can be felled into a pasture was we do. Still going to put some mechanical advantage on it as it has some limbs that can get tangled on a neighboring tree. Always like to make sure the odds are in my favor for the fell ;)

If they would leave what little snow falls around here alone, it would all be gone in less than 48 hours most of the time. But noooo, they have to clear 1/2" off the large parking lots, pile it up into hills up against the light poles, then wait a few weeks for it to slowly melt.

How far north do you live?
It is pretty much a boreal species. We get a winter invasion of them every 30 years or so, except for that they are EXTREMELY rare here.
I've seen 4 in a lifetime of birdwatching, so congratulations to you:D
They are easily mistaken for a large adult female goshawk untill one notices the head shape.

Well decided to quit giving water today. I don't think the pump is the problem; when I prime it it will create some pressure, just no water in the well. filled the well pipe and it just drained away. Thinking the water table went down between the drought and all the new industry around here close.

Thinking I might try adding a length of pipe and driving it down a bit further. Any thoughts on if I should try to pull the thing up to check it all first? Hand drove the present well about 25 yrs ago or so. Not looking forward to doing it again for sure.

Don't know Al. Going back and forth on whether to pull it all up or try driving it down another couple feet right now. Much as I hate to I suppose pulling it all and looking it over is the thing to do...I don't doubt the point is in rough shape after this amount of time.

I can pour gallons down it and the water just disappears though. That's why I'm thinking the water table has gone down some.

Due to the fact a driven well point is shallow it would not be a surprise if the aquafer might have dropped with drought conditions thoughout the midwest and lake states .You could try thumping it down but use a drive fitting and drive pipe couplings . If you just use a pipe plug to drive it and standard pipe couplings you most likely will screw up the pipe threads .

On the other hand you could have a rusted out pipe too after 25 years in the ground .Galvanized pipe usually fails or rusts out right at the threads .

I think if you do some research they might make an adaptor to use with a 90 pound jack hammer rather than a fence post driver .

We have sand here. Most shallow wells tend to plug before they corrode. I have witnessed shooting a .22 cal rifle down the well to revive a plugged well point. Interesting to say the least and I am not recommending it, but it worked several times.

You can do the same thing with an air compresser but it takes a big one .With a shot gun the hydra static shock breaks loose the formation if it's plugged .

Al, the well goes down form the basement floor so unfortunately no room for a jack hammer.

If the screen was just clogged I don't think the water I poured down the pipe would have disappeared as fast as it did.

Just ordered some loops of Woodland/Carlton chain from Baileys and it showed up toot sweet. I have had past experiences that have a run on chain when it is on sale and have had it BO in the past. Sux, but it happens. easy to underestimate what you might need in reels and loops as a supplier when you are dealing with sale on your product and have outfits ordering mass quanties.

That sounds like my last order :lol: Some loops are on back order into 2013.
If you guys are looking for "low priced" sawchain you may want to give this company a try www.trilinksawchain.com
I've yet to try it out but have heard from others it's a good quality budget chain in all the various pitchs, plus bars and sprockets too.
Company is based out of Atlanta, Georgia, engineering dept in Portland ,Oregon and sawchain plant in China.

Interesting note I noticed about them is they copied Stihl's patented Oilomatic drive link channel design and they call theirs Centri-Lube.

Back to Oly yesterday. Snowing lightly. Won't last, I figure.

Just hooked up an new wireless router. Won't get dropped now while streaming hopefully, which has been a pain with the old, old one.

Just watched a little coyote with a bum leg cruise in front of the house by the neighbor's pond. Heard 'em howling last night.

Dahlia is sick again, from our time in OK. Hope it passes soon. No vomiting or diarrhea this time...a respiratory/ sinus thing.

Took today off work to extend the vacation. Back to it on Wednesday. Two day week will be short. :)

Back