How'd it go today?

It's time for you to enjoy yours. We ended our long drought...and how! Now its time for us to put up with our poor weather season, for the next 5- 7 months, with some intermittent spells of good temperature and dry conditions.

We've got a formal dining room set made of pecan .I've never worked the stuff myself .However they say in hardness it's pecan,shag bark hickory ,bitternut etc .in that order

There's probabley 800-1000 bd ft of rough sawn shag at my shop ,stickered .Probabley another 3000 laying in logs .

To me the stuff has a very pleasent light brown coloring to it .Nice grain much tighter than oak .

A friend of mine is a very good cabinet maker and made a hutch for another friend of shag bark which was all hand scraped with a cabinet scraper .Has a finish as smooth as silk .

Well I'd imagine the different woods would present their own individual methods .

Many of us who do hobbist types of wood working may seldom get the occasion to work with less than standard hardwoods being oaks ,beech ,poplar etc .Like for example cherry which is very easy to burn going cross grain with a router bit .

Stig,Jay and few other more experianced craftsmen have worked with these lesser used woods but most of us simpley have not .

Deadwooding and pruning some black oaks at a customers. Only got 4 hours in. Leg was acting up. As was the burnt foot. See if Rob sends the pics. The one I did today had some good limb walks.

I decided to clean the chimney .Whoa what a mess .Has that thing ever got the creosote .So on second thought I think I'll just put a ridgid stainless liner in it and be done with that once and for all .

Problem is the flue was made for a fire place with a 9" square clay liner .An air tight insert stove does not get the flue temperature up enough to burn off the creosote .

Other than that managed to flop 4 more dead ash trees and get them drug out to the landing area where I have some room to cut them up .Damned thick woods I hung two of the freakin things .

We bought Martin, the apprentice, a new MS441c. He has been using a pretty worn out one, so he was really stoked.
Here is the picture he sent us to show how much he loves his new saw.
I guess his girlfriend was working the night shift:lol:

Attachments

• ny sav.jpg
    ny sav.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 20
I sold some of the Rio rosewood from my salvage project to one of the best guitar makers in the country today.

He was really happy to be able to get some, since the felling of it has been banned since -92 and gave me a good price for it.

I really enjoyed seeing his shop and some of the fine instruments, he makes.

http://www.kehletguitars.com/

When my dad turned 80 earlier this year, my wife and I gave him a trip in a hot air balloon.
I was going along for company.
Turned out the balloonist ( or aeronaut as he calls himself) needed some treework done, so we traded for a trip for Richard+wife and kids.

Today the weather was finally good for flying, so we all took off from my place on a frosty morning, just at sunset.

Fine trip, we all enjoyed really it, and I got some good aerial photos of my old homestead.
PA270008.JPG P1020347.JPG P1020352.JPG P1020344.JPG P1020363.JPG P1020362.JPG

Back