How'd it go today?

It's back to reality on TreeHouse for me.
I just finished a powerline clearing contract 2 miles [3 km] long by 60 feet wide. All done solo with a Husky 562XP, underbrush and trees a few of the largest up to 36" dbh 100 ft tall spruce. Trees had to be limbed and bucked , anything under 4" just layed down..
The last 3 days were 12 hr days from 7:30 am to 7:30 at nite.

The 562 was like a scythe through the heavy underbrush, way quicker then a brush saw. I was offered another 2 mile job but I turned it down, the job got old real fast. The money was the best I made with a "saw only", made more in an hour then what I made in a day 20 yrs ago logging.
My arms feel like their gonna fall off:whine:, will take a couple of days to recover. Then it's back to what I like best....residential removals.

Eased back in to work from vacation. Only took down one tree, had to lay it down between a sign/ bulletin board and some other trees. It was an old growth doug-fir surrounded in asphalt as an intersection in the park. Stihl 088 with the short bar, 50", not reaching across with the bark shaved off down to the wood, from a spring board. ha. We wanted to shorten up the falling 110' portion, so as not to potentially smash into two other OG doug-firs, so the stump was about 8' tall. The top had previously broken out at about 16" diameter where it had a 12" thick limb. Luckily the tree went a few degrees to the left, closer to the bulletin board, avoiding the OGs, as they were only about 105 feet from the stump. A humboldt slide the butt right down the stump, virtually. Thankfully we had a good sized backhoe to help break apart the logs, and get the saws unpinched while bucking.

That saw made me tired, and a 441 feel Light. So much more than a 660 with a 36", but lighter than the crazy heavy 60" Cannon b/c ( a rarity, rather double cut with a 660).

Home late, so off of work early tomorrow, rounding out my 40. Then off to start 5 fir removals for a septic system on a personal residential job. Earned my benefits and retirement, so tomorrow/ Friday I'll earn some cash by getting to climb some trees. :)

Al, back in my pulp days, the saws used for limbing would build up carbon from running at constant high RPMs with almost no resistance.
So every once in a while when they were good and hot, we'd find an oak stump and do some cuts to burn the carbon off.
Talk about fireworks!

Burnham, come on over and visit when you get to running around again.
We'll go out and see if we can start a fire in my woods.
Better bring LOTS of gas, though.

I think the biggest fire here, ever recorded, was something like 60 acres, and it made headlines in all the papers:lol:

I believe you Stig, so far as Denmark is concerned. But the world is a big place. I would be surprised if countries where accidental starts are not so unusual were more wide spread than places where they are. But that's speculation on my part...based in part on news stories from many parts of the world. Recall huge fires in Russia a couple of years back, for example?

So Max, what did you find when you went looking for your spark arrestor screens? Are they there, or not?

Just poplars, poplars and more poplars for you, eh...what plant hardiness zone are you in? What other species of tree grows there?

St. Petersburg is on my travel bucket list, as its history is fascinating to me! The 'House is awesome, so many different countries are rep'd...it gives a good scope of this earth we live on. We just need to find some Africans and South Americans.

Just poplars, poplars and more poplars for you, eh...what plant hardiness zone are you in? What other species of tree grows there?

St. Petersburg is on my travel bucket list, as its history is fascinating to me! The 'House is awesome, so many different countries are rep'd...it gives a good scope of this earth we live on. We just need to find some Africans and South Americans.
We are growing different trees just recently were only poplar. Next week, I planned to cut down 84 different of trees - elms, oaks, lindens... and of poplar ...)).) Yes, visiting St. Petersburg you will discover a lot of interesting things. Need to come to us, when we have White Nights (mid-end of June).

Recall huge fires in Russia a couple of years back, for example?

Siberia is causing a lot of smoke in your area this year.

687010main_20120913-siberia_946-710.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/fires/main/world/20120913-siberia.html

So Max, what did you find when you went looking for your spark arrestor screens? Are they there, or not?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I have not had time to sort it out. I will decide the issue in the coming days.

Kind of like the forest fires in southern Europe that are set by out of work firefighters.

Spark arresters doesn't help much against that.

It is not that simple ... These fires are created specifically so you can officially legally cut down trees ... and sell in China ...

More than 17,000 wildfires had burned more than 30 million hectares (74 million acres) through August 2012, according to researchers at the Sukachev Institute of Forest in the Russian Academy of Sciences. In comparison, 20 million hectares burned last year, which was roughly the average between 2000 and 2008

Quite a project then, they are up 10 million Hectares this year.

Some real interesting stuff tonight ... WOW.
Stig. That is the kind of job (over the rails) I would love doing even with the high stress. Awesome job pulling it off.

Today was rather just one of those days. Cut some more trail in near Mt. Bulllion. Loys of slate to help chain need more frequent sharpening. fun fun fun ... Got paid and phone os going crazy. Finally some tree work rolling in. Gotta love fall in the Sierra.

Yes, Dylan, I watched the other vids in the series. Glad that you enjoyed it. That site has some great stuff that you wouldn't see elsewhere. People really get out there to record on video. Crazy things too..... It almost never fails to entertain. The vids on North Korea itself, not the labor camps, are bizarre.

Back