How'd it go today?

Spent much of the day cutting on a dangerously steep bank. Only fell badly once. Popped out the knee, but can still walk. There WILL be technicolor bruises in many places, but the job got finished and now we can plant it - mostly in fancy daylilies and many colors of phlox. Will be taking it easy tomorrow.

I fought most of the day with a water softener that appears to be winning at the moment .The pot licker must have a clogged resin bed .That kind of sucks since it's only about a year old .

I pruned this morning and trimmed ornamentals until early afternoon. My morning job was awesome. Sugar maple prune. Bid for half day, including clean up. I was out of the tree at 9:05, and off the property by 10:30. I was delighted. I somehow did cartwheels through that tree. It was soaking wet from a night of rain, and my boots slipped constantly, but we nailed it in a jiffy.

spent most of yesterday pruning a beautiful copper beech. not too many of those around here, and this one was ~70'. i really love the way they branch out, so much fun to climb around in! been doing so many live oaks and canary palms... stabbing and scratching is getting old. btw, did the beech srt on a home made rope wrench. really felt good, i liked the feel. i cant wait to try out the hitch-hiker. cheers. Jaime

Last edited:
Spent the day changing chipper blades and doing some mods to the grapple. Then the wife came home from the doc and said that they are going to do surgery on her asap. Was working on a deal for lumberjacks dump trailer but now that is on hold for awhile. If anyone is looking for a dump trailer, he has a really good deal on that one. If no one buys it I am going to once all this surgery stuff is behind us.(if we have any money left) I hate insurance companies! Anyway yall have a great day tomorrow, and swing around in one for me, Ill be at the fire station.

Nailed down about a weeks worth of work doing estimates today, which puts me about two weeks behind! Good times. I slipped and poked a hole that should have gotten stitches in my shin last Sat...then spent about 20 hrs on hooks this week. I didn't want to spend my Sat. night in a busy ass tourist town hospital the night before a Sunday road closure job...so I performed a little triage in my house instead. Damn but my leg is SORE. Looking forward to a long weekend of downtime. Cleaning up the house, truck...saws etc and just takin er easy and getting ready for a busy couple of weeks.

Oh, and the Mrs. and I celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary today! I'm still amazed she's stuck around for so long. But I am a handsome devil. Charming too :)

It appears at least this morning that I've won the battle with the water softener.

The problem was compounded by a series of errors .I had mistakenly left in place an aerator from a previously installed iron filter which didn't work . As a result it caused the bacterial iron to clog the pressure tank and eventually the softener resin bed .

I had field stripped the softener head and cleaned up everything and reassembled and ran some "iron out " through the system .So far so good .

I'm tellin you this water business has became a pain in my butt trying to keep good water in this damned house .---mumble grumble ---:what:

Yeah, but being charming and handsome meant nothing to that gaff.. Careful Dylan ;)
I am starting to wonder if my gaffs will even remember me. I almost put them on to set lines in the tree, but my throws were good. I thought I heard a lonely sigh coming from behind the seat :lol:

Masterblaster, they found a mass on one of her ovaries. They did a ct scan yesterday, and are going to take it out asap.

Three pines back yard. Heat index 103 found 1/4 in cable in one stopped in at my saw shop and couldn't resist clean 61 as heavy as it is it will stay on the ground! Found a 500 ft roll of New England rope at .40 a ft not sure how good that deal was!? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1344027555025.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344027555025.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 11
Jeff, best wishes to your wife.

Today was my last production day, now a week off, 9 days with the weekends. Seems like an eternity. We need it though, me and my man, we're beat. Cooked, tired of the grind.

I lined up a nice day today, 4 spruce removal(3 straight fells) and a fir that was topped into a lightpole( would've been a removal but it already had the yardlight on it). Had two more big trees on that job to do and the customer advised it was to hot for a friday of the long weekend and scheduled another day to do the two. One will be a nice juicy fir fell into a field, near a couple buildings but plenty of room, and the other is a 100' spruce that will need to be climbed out and topped out into itty little bits. Nice big trees for our last day, healthy spruce that became doomed in this last windstorm. Six blew over on the property and the people cleaned those up themselves, but the rest had to come down due to arborphobia. Really though not a bad idea, these were forest/farmland trees that were built around, tall big trees to have blowing over near your house.

We were happy to get off a bit early.

Just moved a load of wood today and called it. I am pretty much done this week with the heat. I need some time off with my kids doing some fun stuff. I will fell a tree in the morning that Rob wants down on the property and he is going to harvest the chips for his new garden next door. Grey pine mutiple codoms almost all the way to the ground right next to the road and primaries. Should not be too hard to coax it paralell to both and land it tops by the driveway. Felling cut is going to be a might low for a West Coast guy :lol: But I have good inspiration from some here to get it done ;)
Jeff, my best wishes for you and your wife. I hope all goes well.

Jeff, prayers and best wishes to your wife and you, too. Going through that stuff is rough on you both. My wife went through (touch wood) a bout of breast cancer, recently. Everything went very well because we caught it early.
But, it's rough on the whole family. God bless! ;)

Mowed, weeded, put up wall panels, wiring, graded the lane ... gettin' too old for this chit ... :roll:
Daughter, SIL and 3 dogs arriving around 9 :D

Poor old Tom bad day .The dropped the 020T I refurbished for him a while back,twice .It survived the first tumble not the second .

Then they backed over a Stihl BG 85 blower and smashed it ,which is now mine .I can find one with a blown motor on flea bay for pennys .The engine is okay but my did they screw up the blower housing .Looks like it got stepped on by an elephant .

So his day ended up with a new blower and a new 201T which he says sucks .

Back