How'd it go today?

I understand perfectly what a dormant "season" is. It's the term dormant "work" that had me puzzled.

Well in spite of being rather "dormant " for the morning I did get my lazy butt in gear and split about a cord and a half of storm wood this afternoon .Not too bad for an old fart I'd say .

I just got back from getting a bite to eat at the Alehouse and had quite an amusing experience. An older gentleman wearing a cowboy hat and apparently somewhat intoxicated was sitting at the bar and began singing the song 'Brandi' to the middle aged, husky looking woman sitting a couple barstools away. He sang for about 3-4 minutes getting quite loud at times and actually had an impressive voice. The girl at the table next to me said that she thought the husky looking woman was actually a man. Her boyfriend asked me if it was a man or woman and I said I didn't know. A couple minutes later I asked my server and she said "Oh yeah, that's a dude. He comes in here all the time." I busted out laughing and so did the people at the next table.
:lol:

You gotta give a link to the song..

Was it?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N-tRXewCAmU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9j17qt53Bh0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Same here Paul, I loved it outside.

Weird day today. Doing a two day job shearing taxus, and an hour or two in Dad comes up and says he has a surprise for me. Come to find out they shot a skunk and wanted us to pick it up and take it to the dumpster. They suspected it had rabies from the way it was acting, and it sprayed 3 of their dogs. So Dad and I bagged it(worst smell ever btw, god we wanted to puke). After that, I was the only one brave(or stupid) enough to go finish the taxus near where the sucker sprayed. Needless to say I wasn't very happy lol.

After lunch I went and cleared a big cherry top from a clients driveway. Storm damage from a few days ago I guess. Got it all stacked and ready to be chipped, and a good bit of wood piled up for pick up.

Shall I take a shot..... Palm tree,seed pods in bloom? Ask me how I know if I'm right :mad:

In over 25 years I've never been bothered by any bee or wasp collecting pollen off flowers. They are by nature not aggressive unless provoked and they are protecting their home. If a bee is out collecting pollen then he is out of his home territory and will retreat rather than attack if you get too close.

Also, if you spray and kill a hive then the next day robber bees from other hives will come to steal the honey. These stray bees are not guarding their own home so they will not attack you either. The only time I get stung trimming palms is if I bump into a wasp nest on the bottom of a frond.

Back on topic, I trimmed palms all day today. :|:

Waited an hr and a half for my guy this morning, Grrr. Then he couldn't wrap his head around a bowline. It wouldn't bother me except I hang my life from it. Some days I really wonder why I bother. Finished up three of the five Oaks to be pruned though. Two in the am and the rest of the week is cake.

I understand perfectly what a dormant "season" is. It's the term dormant "work" that had me puzzled.

Story about not posting sooner. I was at our cottage since Friday and we don't get the Internet up there. We always called our Oak and Elm prunings "dormant work" because we would only do them during the dormant season to prevent the spread of Oak Wilt and Duth Elm Disease. We now use that term for any job that we can schedule at our leisure during the slow winter months.

Everyone in WI seems to use the term "dormant work "... It must be a regional thing.

As for today, I threw out my back. I will be out of work for several days until it gets better. This is the first time since starting our own business that I have been hurt this bad. It's a bad feeling putting everything on my partner. I hope I get better soon for his sake.

LOL. Gotta love it, Bud.

I climbed for Harlan today. Master of tree massacre, who still cannot tie a bowline from 30 years of tree work. We untie his knots with screw drivers, each one is different!

I set up the GRCS to crane some trunk out from over a house. Clearly stated how to use it, multiple times. He nodded, the typical.

Get up in the tree and cut the first limbs and he wraps the rope backwards. It clearly states what way to wrap it ON THE BOLLARD! I tell him he better figure it out or else his customer is going to have some trunk wood through their roof.

Why can't people pay attention? :|:

Back