How'd it go today?

Butch, I'm thinking you are right. I will get of the smokes quickly, and map a plan for the patches. If my plan is tolerable, with plenty of discomfort factored in, then ill stick to it. If I'm struggling in a bad way, then ill modify it with a better plan. This pertains to patches of course. The smokes are done after tomorrow. I'm making my patch plan tough, basically setting the bar high to just get it over with. If it works great, if not, no biggie.

I just quit cold turkey. It wasnt the nicotine for me so much as the act of doing it. The nicotine is gone after 72 hours which was the first battle for me, its the following weeks thats the problem.

I've quit before. It sucks. I could care less about the act of smoking, its the nicotine I crave. My reasons for quitting this time are deeper. If I don't quit now, I'm basically helping the barretts esophagus hurry right on up and turn to cancer of the esophagus. In that case I might as well get some lumber and powertools and start building my casket as free time allows. I'm not much for carpentry so I'm going to quit, ajd work towards a full long life.

Not smoking is great. I quit in Aug last year. Cold turkey & I love not having to be a slave to it.
You will feel a little anxious, but that's jut your body wanting to know when it is going to get a fix. It subsides soon enough & you will feel soooooooooo much better as the carbon monoxide in your blood is removed.
Hang in there it's worth the effort

Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I ever did.

I just quit cold turkey.

And there you go. I quit painlessly using the patch AND the gum. I weaned myself off the patch first, then the gum. It took about 60 days.

I wasn't in any hurry. I've been tobacco free ever since... about the time I started this place.

I'm thinking about quitting smoking and financing a mini. I can get a real cheap rate on it. I figure use the banks money, and not my own if the rate is low enough. The money spent on cigarettes comes out to the same payment on a lightly used mini.

This is just BS stuff my bud Ron sends me from time to time .I got a chuckle out of it.

Drafting Guys Over 60

This is funny & obviously written by a Former Soldier... New Direction for any war: Send Service Vets over 60!

I am over 60 and the Armed Forces thinks I'm too old to track down terrorists. You can't be older than 42 to join the military. They've got the whole thing ass-backwards.

Instead of sending 18-year olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35.

For starters, researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds. Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a day, leaving us more than 28,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy.

Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. 'My back hurts! I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry.' We are impatient and maybe letting us kill some asshole that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for awhile..

An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10am. Old guys always get up early to pee, so what the hell. Besides, like I said, I'm tired and can't sleep and since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatical son-of-a-bitch.

If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.

Boot camp would be easier for old guys.. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we're used to soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from the screaming and yelling.

They could lighten up on the obstacle course however... I've been in combat and never saw a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after completing basic training.

Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy, too... I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet.

An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to start a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head.

These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way.

Let us old guys track down those dirty rotten coward terrorists. The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple million pissed off old farts with attitudes and automatic weapons, who know that their best years are already behind them.

HEY!! How about recruiting Women over 50...in menopause!!! You think MEN have attitudes??
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my God!!! If nothing else, put them on border patrol. They'll have it secured the first night!

Smokers that say that there cardiovascular is in good shape, are like an average person that walks into a Gold's gym and tells the guy behind the counter that they are in fine condition, but just want to tone up a bit.

I can run several miles without issue at a strong pace Jay. I also put in extensive fast paced foot work in lousy terrian all fall long tagging behind my pointer while grouse hunting. Im not talking a mile or two. Im talking up to 40 a week. Not every week. But no less then 10. I body thrust up trees constantly, and what makes me take a break is abdomen fatigue, not my lungs.

The sedentary lifestyle many smokers lead often compounds their cardio weakness. I was once a Marine, and smoked while in service and managed to run perfect 300 physical fitness test scores. What you are saying applies to many smokers, but is not carved in stone for all.

That's not to say I'm the perfect specimen of cardiovascular health. But I am saying ill blow the doors off of most of my non smoking peers in my age group. That's a fact.

Perhaps so, Chris, but there can also be a little black spot forming in some tissue as well, and well early of affecting performance. You don't seem unintelligent about it, but lots of folks kid themselves by saying it doesn't affect them much in a negative way.

Tobacco costs too much. It's like being addicted to New York Strip or caviar. Who can afford it???

Day came, day went, one more day of it at that account and I can move on to the next. FINALLY got a call for tree trimming and I gues I might get to try my hand at fan palms. Any tips and pictures would be appreciated. I will slum on down to the high rent district in the lower elevations to go check it out Saturday.
Friggen hot and tomorrow is August... usually our slowest month. Can't wait until September. Not complaining ... we are working and a lot are not. Just want to get through another week or so of it and take the kids to the coast for a day or two. Kat and the kids have about had enough all the heat and shat as well. They'll start school here soon and then a whole new hectic will commence. Cook some Chicken Marsala tonight, watch a movie and chill. Some days I just feel so damn done with some of the crud I deal with.

I can run several miles without issue at a strong pace Jay. I also put in extensive fast paced foot work in lousy terrian all fall long tagging behind my pointer while grouse hunting. Im not talking a mile or two. Im talking up to 40 a week. Not every week. But no less then 10. I body thrust up trees constantly, and what makes me take a break is abdomen fatigue, not my lungs.

The sedentary lifestyle many smokers lead often compounds their cardio weakness. I was once a Marine, and smoked while in service and managed to run perfect 300 physical fitness test scores. What you are saying applies to many smokers, but is not carved in stone for all.

You make me feel old and decrepit, Chris....:whine:

I'm 28, I certainly should be able to roll like the wind. For now. Jay, I know that my smoking affects me. When I get respiratory ailments, it takes a lot of antibiotics to fight it. My lungs don't get the job done. I do have my moments of being winded easily also. I can feel the effects of the cigarettes. But I also get my heart and lungs pumping enough that I keep them active. Most smokers get winded easily and so they avoid any activity that gets them pumping. I've never done that. Where I do think I suffer the mist is lack of oxygen to my muscles. THAT is a source of pain for me. I know that it comes from the stogeys.

Ah, to be young again.....actually I'm pretty satisfied with my current health/condition. I occasionally bump into folks I went to school with, and I daresay I could work nigh any of them into the ground. Most of them seem to have some sort of swelling affliction.

As for "How it went today"....I took down a sweet gum that had a lead that failed last week in a wind. Both forks stone dead, and the failed one laid right over into a water oak. I climbed the remaining lead, brushed and topped it out and hung a block and two guy lines on it. Guyed it off, ran a rope from the top of the failed one through the block I hung in the other, down through a redirect and over to the truck. Pulled on it and it stood right up. I had a couple of guys pull it to the side while I lowered it, then retrieved my block and lines and dropped the other fork.Quick and easy money....Would have filmed it, but it started raining just as we pulled up and i didn't want to get the camera out in the rain.

Some fellow I slightly know dropped in at the shop and said that he had recently put up an addition on his property, and was interested in a dining set. Could I come over that night for some drinking (you have to know the culture), and dinner. All kind of sudden like, but a job like that is a couple months work for me, so I made hasty arrangements with my wife that I would be home late. He picks me up at 5:30, since I can't drink and drive home, and says his wife will bring me back. I get there, see the addition and go through some furniture preliminaries, then they suggest that I spend the night, not uncommon. I reaffirm that it is not in my plans after it had been mentioned by the fellow earlier, and he brings out his favorite elixir, Japanese made Budweiser. Never had it before, and it is a lot smoother than the Bud I knew. I notice that the Mr's. glass gets filled up too, and after a few more times, realize she isn't driving me home. Anyway, by the time I call my wife she is already asleep, but wake her up to say I'm not coming home that night. Its all cool, but I don't feel too good about it. We drink a ton of Bud and when I give them a price for such woodwork, the lady kind of freaks, her eyes popping out like Rodney Dangerfield. Her husband is most cordial and says to go for it, but it appears that the woman controls the purse strings in that household, not uncommon here. Anyway I hit the sack in their nice tatami mat guest room about 2:30 and don't sleep well. Get up to a nice morning and the man goes to work. The lady drives me back to my shop where I show her what I'm doing and how I do it, hopefully put things in a more understandable vein about price. She doesn't give a clue if it might be changing her perspective. Say goodbye niceties, and I end up being too wiped out the entire day to get much of anything done. I might hear something, I dunno.....

I had a a lot of fun there, back in the sixties. 360 yen to the dollar, you could smoke and drink in the theaters.

Back