How'd it go today?

I'm still going full-tilt. The rad gave out on my 250xp today and because I live were I do I'm 10-14 days out for a new one(had two rad shops tell me it wasn't repairable). Tomorrow I'm off to drive 3hrs one way to look at and more than likely buy a vermeer bc1000xl. I've never liked the looks of Vermeer chippers but I need a spare like yesterday and that's the only chipper anywhere near me. 2001 with 2200hrs. What's the good, bad, and ugly on these units? Guy is asking 10g, says it's in real good shape new drum bearings with less than an hour on them done at a vermeer dealer as well as new rims/tread. It's never been used in production work by the last owner of a couple of years, just around his acreage.

I had a morbark 17 for years and loved it. Just started using a vermeer 1400 and hate it... all computer controlled and feed wheels jam all the time and it drinks twice as much diesel as the old 17. Progress.:|:

Heard some good things about the BC1000, stay away from the BC1400, that sucker is plagued with problems, everyone I know who has one/used one hates them. The 1000 on the other hand is a solid chipper from my understanding. The BC1000 and BC1800 seem to be Vermeer's two premier chippers from what I've heard, ppl tend to like those two the best.

That early model is built like shit. The feed table is attached incorrectly, the bearings do go out on the drum prematurely, autofeed is crap, the fiberglass cowling everywhere is begging to get smashed, changing knives on it is easy, the axle sucks. The new models have none of the problems that the first one had. 10k sounds high to me for that rig.

Thanks for the feedback. I've always held your opinion Dave on most things Vemeer, just a Bandit snob I guess. 10g seemed kind of under market value to me when I searched around even compared to what you guys can get them for down south. And that's his asking so I won't pay 10 but still I'm kinda fence sitting on this machine. It's the only decent sized chipper I've found within like seven hours of me(unless you cross the line into the USA) but still I'm not overly thrilled about it. I have renewed hope this morning from talking to Bandit directly that I may be able to source a rad through our local Brandt/John Deere dealer. If that's the case I'll probably pass on the 1000xl and just keep my eyes open for a better machine/ better deal. If I can't source this rad like today or tomorrow though I'll probably pick up that little Vemeer as the down time will cost me to much in lost revenue.

Well it looks like I'm driving down to probably buy this unit. Hard to get excited about really but I need to roll. I hope it isn't a lemon.

Pissed about the 250xp really which by all acounts is supposed to be a great machine. Mine's around 1000hrs and has had the oil cooler go, the transfer pump go, the belts done in, and now the rad which is going to run me around 2g gone too. That's pretty lousy imo, I bought it with .4 of an hr on it and have been meticulous with maintenance.

I'll hopefully have a chance to pop in here one more time if anyone has any recommendations on things to check over on this 1000xl.

Hope it goes well Squish, sounds like the 250XP hasn't been working out well for ya, hopefully you catch a break here in the busy season.

Laid back kinda day today. Me and Dad went and ran some errands, and looked at some dump trailers. I ended up picking up a nice 7x12 unit, can't wait to put this puppy to use! Came back home and while Dad ran some more bids I worked on cleaning off the bed of the 3500 and putting our new ramps we got from Dave to use, loading our mini on the bed of the 3500, so now we have the package I've been wanting. Mini being hauled on the back of the truck and a sweet ass dump trailer.8) Now we just need a set of forks and we'll be good 2 go!
IMG_0319.jpg IMG_0314.jpg

Today went well.. Felled the last beetle kill tree in the grove we have been working. I have two more for a new customer across the creek from this section.
I missed my mark by about 3 foot. I placed a 2 foot scabbard where I was supposed to aim for but still lost sight of it from the butt. Still landed between a couple goal posts though. Smacked one little sugar pine I was trying to save however. Oh well... Finish yarding the logs and hauling the wood out tomorrow. 9 trees total on this one.
2012-05-07 11.01.26.jpg 2012-05-08 10.49.45.jpg 2012-05-08 11.24.21.jpg 2012-05-08 12.45.44.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3ZPaSmS9FbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Killed 20 trees today. Some moron bought a house and 1 acre wooded lot and decided he didn't like all the trees. The crew worked yesterday cutting down most of the smaller and easier trees to give me room to get around. I knocked down some nice oaks and about 8 very old pines. The pines weren't particularly big but the grain was incredibly tight and I figure they were a hundred years old or better. I brought home a wafer off one of the stumps but can't find my camera right now.

I counted rain drops today. I was going to work, but it really poured steady and my groundman was in need of some time to get a loan worked out for a firewood truck. I'm stir crazy tonight. Good work is rolling in, and I've got plans for that money.

People are frigging stupid. I killed a beautiful water oak today that woulda looked great trimmed.

Now it's a big ass stump.

I think the full moon is messing with people. I gave away a tree today to my friendly competition. Guy wanted a bucket truck and I climb. He thought is was a horrible idea to climb with a saw. Thought I would have a rough time rigging the limbs from over the roof. Got anal about his tile roof and I handed him Andy and Paula's card. Walked away. He'll feel better with a bucket truck and I will feel better about not having to worry about working for him with his OCD.

OK, I figured out how to take a picture with my phone. This phone will actually plug right into my computer, unlike my last phone, so I can download photos without having to purchase internet access for my phone and email the pictures to myself.

Anyway, here's the stump of a 70' pine I cut down today. Who wants to count the rings?

moto_0007.jpg

Back