How'd it go today?

I had a boo boo today...:|:
2012-05-09 18.09.04.jpg

About a 20 plus foot long by 24" pondo log decided to chase my truck and caught it :lol:
We were trying to re-orient the log for a better pull and she cut loose and rolled down the secondary slope of the hill, you guessed it, toward the truck. I tried to escape, but I was tied to it. As it rolled up the rope around itself... I knew what was coming and braced for impact. Tough old truck. Guess I will be really shopping for that flat bed sooner than later :lol:
No injuries, no damage to property. Just blocked the road momentarily and we got lucky with no traffic. 8)

Here are some shots of the final tree stump from yesterday ..... I cut the bed of the face at 4" above ground level and the back cut was 4' above ground level on the back side.

Not my prettiest double cut... Oh well.. All's well that lands well.

Attachments

• 2012-05-09 10.35.38.jpg
    2012-05-09 10.35.38.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2012-05-09 10.35.49.jpg
    2012-05-09 10.35.49.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 6
  • 2012-05-09 10.36.00.jpg
    2012-05-09 10.36.00.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 6
we knocked out an underbid job this morning. five fir trees, combination of felling, bombing tops rigging, speed lining, and chunking. then we did our aerial rescue training. Manuel really shined, i think we will keep him on, maybe even give him a raise! IMGP5307.jpg IMGP5300.jpg IMGP5302.jpg IMGP5303.jpg IMGP5306.jpg

For the forks, I like the little extra reach, I move a lot of broken lawn mowers around. Load and unload them with the mini and I can move them around with it as I work on them. I also use pallets a lot around here, load the pallet with firewood to move it around where I need etc.
I also like being able to move lumber and fence panels, when placed properly, with the longer forks.
Yes, you need to keep the load close to the machine, but that's anything, and if I get something heavy or try to pull something out of the ground I have to stay close to the machine with it.
I'd never be happy with the shorter forks myself, but that's just me.

Guess I will be really shopping for that flat bed sooner than later :lol:
Oh just get ya a dead blow hammer and beat most of the wrinkles out .Solder in a bulb and cover it with a piece of red cellophane and duct tape and keep on keepen on .--or just get a red bulb .That thing is only wounded it's not dead yet .You have to really work at it to kill an old Ford .

Now the danged roto tiller .Seems I didn't hammer the flywheel tight enough and sheared the aluminum key . I beat that SOB with a dead blow this time .Now slip you rascal .:X

Geeze fiddled around for a hour to use the thing for 10 minutes .

I've always felt like it takes longer to get all the tools out than it does to actually do the work. Then add more time to put all the tools back up.

That's were I fall short .Not all the tools get put back then I have to hunt for them the next go round .I once misplaced a vacuum pump used for refridgeration and it took me three days to find it .Bad habit I can't seem to break myself of .

My wife rearranged closets recently. Wanted a couple of shelves etc. Of course my little air compressor, nail guns, & circular saw were at the rental I'm working on.

It was probably a 10 to 15 minute project to her. It was a special trip to the rental for me. Load everything up etc.

Still need to take it all back.

Got quite a bit done trimmed the shrubs--with a 200T .:D

Fought that big ole 2100 Husqvarna today .The big old Viking Swede is one cuttin fool when it runs right .It is just the most stubborn SOB I've ever turned a wrench on .No middle ground it either runs like crazy or it is a dog .I got the damned thing going my way now .For how long I have no idea .:what:

Saved a tree today ... small victory. HO's wanted two mulberries gone ... talked 'em into keeping the larger one with some light pruning and deadwooding. Still have a little more to do and then remove the smaller tree which is failing.

Before & After:

Attachments

• 120510 Before.jpg
    120510 Before.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 7
  • 120510 After.jpg
    120510 After.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 9
Went to the big town to look at a tree to be trimmed. Heading home I received a call from a gardner friend that he needed help with a tree, "How long will it take for you to get here?" Twenty minutes and I see he had cut up a dead oak but things hadn't gone the way he had planned, it was hanging over some expensive looking fence and windbreak affair around an apple orchard, partially cut up and seemingly barely hung up in another tree. He had a rope on it, but no way to pull it back by hand as he had envisioned. Ran to the shop and picked up the Masdam, hooked it to his line and easy peasy got him out of trouble. Kind of screwed up the latter part of my day's plans, but what can you do....a friend in need. He has helped me out a few times too.

Rounded out the Parks work week with an alternator replacement, fuel-up, and washing our trucks. Skidder got a good bath, too. Hadn't had one in a loooong time. Removed the Olympia green tint job. Might give it some paint this summer. Its a conversation piece, as is. 1967 Garrett 16 cable skidder that people always comment on how they'd like to have it. Guess not many were built. We drug it over the pass to the east side of the mountains where we were dealing with some laminated root rot and needed to move logsd out of campsites. Got to operate a loader with bite-bucket for the first time, which was a skill builder. Its hard to bite what you can't see.

Erik did some climbing jobs for hangers, and sold some climbing work for me to do. HH will hopefully be in action tomorrow! Haven't tried to grind it open a hair more yet to accept the dogbone.

Going to Beacon Rock SP on the Columbia river next week for a few days of storm pruning, the taking my class A cdl driving test.

Gonna have a Mother's Day bbq on sunday with some other new parents.

Back