How'd it go today?

Suffering a bit, since yesterday. I was bragging it up in another thread about how big of rounds I can huck. Well just yesterday I picked one and it was heavy, my employee offered to help me with it but oh no, "I can handle it". As I threw it into the dump trailer as it went over it caught me just under the ribcage, roadrashed me a bit and bruised my ribs just enough to let me know I'm still alive. Lol. A few advils and I made it through today just fine.

Woke up to pouring rain today mixed with ice. Kids got me up to fix breakfast. Then Lilly and I went back to bed (she has been a tad under the weather) and watched Princess and the Frog. I fell asleep, rain quit by noon. Round up Rob and Wyatt and we went and hiked into the woods a ways to light seven large burn piles. Rain started again at 4 PM so we went home. There will be some clean up left so we'll have to burn it again next month. Some were the size of a garage.
Came home and fixed dinner, now Kat is at work. Put the kids to bed here soon and settle in.
Not a totally unproductive day.

Tiresome. I have a couple little money makers in the morning. Honey locust and an incense cedar. Both in a tight place between buildings. But nothing to them. Right next to the Subway, so lunch is handled :D
Just hoping the rain holds off tomorrow for a bit.

Ordered a Commando smartphone. I was going to get the Iphone 4s, but the Commando is like the smart phone version of the G'zOne waterproof, dustproof, shock resistant (I don't buy that its shockproof) phone that I've been rocking for a while with no problems. I keep it in my pocket all the time. Totally sealed.

Hope its a good choice.

Turning over my Gz'One with the company number to Erik for him to have with him and field all the calls while I'm working at Parks.

Ordered a Commando smartphone. I was going to get the Iphone 4s, but the Commando is like the smart phone version of the G'zOne waterproof, dustproof, shock resistant (I don't buy that its shockproof) phone that I've been rocking for a while with no problems. I keep it in my pocket all the time. Totally sealed.

Hope its a good choice.

Turning over my Gz'One with the company number to Erik for him to have with him and field all the calls while I'm working at Parks.

I hear that the touch screen on that phone is horrible. An Iphone in an Otterbox is pretty much bullet proof.

Got Bailey to the town cemetery this morning and it started wind driven pouring rain. So I met with the client over a cup of coffee at the job site and rescheduled for Saturday or Monday weather dependent. Storms like these can hang up and sit against the Sierras for a while longer than forecast. So I ran some errands and sent the Taxes off in the mail. Came home to a dry warm house. If the weather breaks a bit, might go extract some of the beetle kill wood on the side of the road and get it on property for covering. Little buggers can't be fairing well in the cold snap anyway. We were getting an ice mix yesterday and could possibly get some ice or snow tonight mixed with the rain. Maybe I'll go eat some hot soup :)

Somewhere between brag and a complaint, but at just about any tree job I have to work the hardest to keep things rolling. My body is trashed. Neck and elbow fighting for which part feels the worst, and a mild headache. :|: On again today with his job, just the crane and me, which means doing everything. Can't exactly recall how I got in this position. People have expectations. :roll: I might have to hit the hot spring tomorrow, find my spot in the corner to die.

Jay do you do tree work daily? Part time? I can't guess whether tree work is common in your region or occasional......? I have always wondered if wood working was your primary or secondary job.

Chris, furniture making my long time regular gig, tree work whenever required..the frequency varies. Not enough work for tree jobs being a daily gig. Most people in the trade do other things too. It wasn't so much that way when domestic lumber was high in demand and logs fetched a better price. Moat of my tree jobs these days a crane operator calls me up. His work is mainly trees, highly unusual, where most cranes spend more time doing construction in these parts. I like the balance that having both occupations brings, but tree work is much more physically demanding.

Dry as a bone here too. Although just went outside to some rain. Turns out my log trailer is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Attachments

• DSC00541.jpg
    DSC00541.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 26
Looked at two jobs this afternoon. The first was 2.5 acres on the St. John's River all covered with live oaks. The guy doesn't want to do a lot of pruning, just major deadwood. I am guessing around 80-100 trees and about 2-3 days of work just doing the cutting. I think there's 3-4 removals. Once I'm done he will get a guy with a loader to gather up all the brush and wood and haul it off. I got the go-ahead to tackle it whenever I wanted with no rush. He has about 4-6 weeks before they begin working on the house.

Second job is 14 oak removals for a homeowner's association. Too many trees planted too closely in the strip between the sidewalk and street. Some oaks are only 5'-6' apart and others are 4' away from light poles or street signs. Nothing huge but 10"-14" caliper and 30'-40' tall. A nice little one day job. I'm still waiting on some info before submitting my final numbers but that one is pretty much in the bank as well.

I'm completely booked for next week already and it's all easy work. Looking forward to another excellent year. :D

Back