How'd it go today?

Thanks, Brian. Things are progressing well. Erik's former co-worker, the lead climber at the OH tree service for 6 years, may be moving to OLY this summer.

They had the customers that would ask "how much can you take off without killing it?" and "Can you make it not have fruit on the fruit trees?". They spike pruned everything. They did everything old school: natural crotching, buck straps, no idea about a throwline.

Erik has made the shift well. He loved climbing the trees, and will really like the ease of SRT, I think. He'll really love when I can afford a Wraptor, and has said he'd rather climb in the old harness, and have me put money aside for the Wraptor more.

I think that his climber friend can be trained in tree biology and spurless work.

Erik is interested in getting his CA credentials.

I'd like to take him to the ISA International in Portland this summer.

He likes tree work, and his bachelor's degree in philosophy is a no-jobber.

Bid two jobs today. One rotten based hemlock, hollow drum at butt. about 24"x 100'. Limb and buck, no chipping. Can't reliably fall it into the space available, so I'm thinking of climbing (or hopefully Wraptoring up), knocking the top out, stripping it on the way down and felling the stem. Hard to know what the safest way about it will be. The neighboring tree is about the same size, but 20' sideways. Probably will be okay to pop a small top, and chunk some stuff off it, then limbing it on the way down. A full crowned tree. Really hollow at butt. Annosus root and butt rot, so I want to keep all forces low on it. Many other failures on the property.

Second one, the guy almost killed himself as he was too impatient for me to get there to give him a drop and leave bid. He wanted to pull a leaning maple trunk on a multi-trunked BL maple 90 degrees to the lean, away from his 3 years in the ground orchard. Figured his wife was gone, so he could get away with it. Come-along and all. Dutchmen and all. Barberchair and all. On to the orchard trees and all. Saved a few bucks, now he can buy some new fruit trees before his wife gets back from the weekend.

Doesn't it sound familiar. Homeowner found dead by wife. Pinned under tree he was felling. This guy was only 45 yo, rather than the one's you read where they're retired age.

Went for about a mile hike at a wetland/ pond area today near the bids with Amy and Dahlia. Wood ducks, mallards, Canada geese, songbirds, beaver chewed trees and beaver dams, songbirds and all. Sunny. Second or third time there with lil' D.

Good read, Sean.
Those jobs where you just break about even, but get a chance to let the guys show they can handle it on their own are priceless.
I recently bid a little high on a pine takedown, we are busy right now, so I didn't need the job, but figured that if they agreed to the price, I could let the apprentice spend a day on it and not loose money.
Worked out fine.
I love when they are real proud of themselves and have that fine " mission accomplished" feeling.

I just looked at my most expensive removal bid ever. $4000 oak tree over two houses and the only spot to process everything is right on top of the drainfield. Four leads over 28" diameter each plus the broken one laying in the neighbor's swimming pool.

And there's no crane access due to three other trees in front of the house. Otherwise I'd pass it along to my local crane guy. The limb wood is pretty big for my truck but I'll just have to take it one bite at a time. It will take two days for me.

Big removals are hard money, I make better money on minimum calls trimming palm trees or popping out skinny little dead removals that can't be climbed.

I agree. Pound for pound, I do better on small-mid sized removals. Anymore, I high ball big removals badly. It's not to be brutal to people, but I'm sick of wrangling big wood for a smaller profit. It just doesn't make sense.

Yes, for me multiple removals always seem to come out low. Each tree individually would pay far better.

A buncha small jobs...

True, but sometimes you've just gotta TCOB.

That's why we're here. Ya'll remember my 6 grand graveyard tree.

Who ya gonna call?

;>)

Your fuel cost to get to the job is the same whether you only do 1 tree or a few more. Seems logical that the per tree price should be slightly lower on the multiples due to your fixed cost being the same.

1/2 price seems to be too low though.

Brendon, in regards to having too much shit. A wise man once told me that the secret to success in a trade is to specialize. The narrower your focus and specialty, the more you can charge. A hand surgeon makes much more money than a general practitioner. If you could specialize in surgery of the right hand pinky finger you'd be a billionaire. I applied that line of thought to tree work and decided I needed to focus on the specific aspects that I really enjoy and could excel at. Can you split firewood better than the next guy and make more money at it than him? I spent a lot of time observing other tree operations and judging the estimated wealth of each operator. I decided I couldn't make more money than them if I did it exactly like them. I had to carve my own specialized niche in the market and it seems to be working so far.

I myself prefer the 20 minute. $250 minimum bucket cut and leave or the flop and haul ass.

I still enjoy the challenge of the big trees, but now only if they pay damn well!

4k is also my largest dollar amount on a single tree. Can't seem to break that barrier

Brian, explain the estimated wealth comment.

Brendon, in regards to having too much shit. A wise man once told me that the secret to success in a trade is to specialize. The narrower your focus and specialty, the more you can charge. A hand surgeon makes much more money than a general practitioner. If you could specialize in surgery of the right hand pinky finger you'd be a billionaire. I applied that line of thought to tree work and decided I needed to focus on the specific aspects that I really enjoy and could excel at. Can you split firewood better than the next guy and make more money at it than him? I spent a lot of time observing other tree operations and judging the estimated wealth of each operator. I decided I couldn't make more money than them if I did it exactly like them. I had to carve my own specialized niche in the market and it seems to be working so far.

That's some sound thinking, right there. :)

I hear ya, I really need everything I have now as far as work. One more truck and GTG.

I was thinking the conveyor would help, but I'm not looking to sell oodles of firewood. I'm just looking to get rid of some to help pay the mortgage in winter, and heat the house/barns. A $2,000+ conveyor isn't going to make it that much faster, so I've been thinking of just collecting the money.

I already have over 10 larger engines to maintain, I don't need another. :lol:

Firewood to a tree service type person is a suppliment for an income in the dead of winter when usually in the snowy north there is no tree work .In Florida obviously there is no call for firewood .

It's not great money but better than no money at all .

Brian, explain the estimated wealth comment.

I'm rather materialistic, I freely admit it. I tend to judge people based on their wealth (or perceived wealth). I will respect the opinion of the guy living in a nice house, driving a nice car and running a well capitalized business more than the opinion of the guy in the ragged pickup living in a mobile home and working with junk equipment. I believe we should surround ourselves with the types of people we wish to emulate. You can't soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

I think it's more the attitude of being successful. I know a young guy that doesn't have a pot to piss in but he has the attitude that will make him successful one day. He's working his ass off going to school, working and raising a 12 year old son. He has an intensity and inner drive that can't be denied, much like Carl or Brendon (among many others) here at the House. On the other end, one of the big tree outfits here was shut down by the IRS last year and the guy moved and reopened down the street with one letter changed in the business name. Now he has a couple million in inventory and equipment parked in his lot but he's still a scumbag who doesn't pay his suppliers or his help.

Back