How'd it go today?

We have been rolling right along. Few emergency jobs thrown in to keep it interesting. 2 jobs that I haven't even gotten to yet have called to add more work to the job!!

I've been selling phc pretty steady as well. Folks really seem to be receptive to it this year. Maybe I'm explaining it better nowadays:|:

So for phc is that mainly spraying for you? A huge whole has opened up locally in the spray market. I know very little about it though.

Not a good day here. Got pulled over in the 3500 with the trailer for a DOT Inspection, wasn't bad, but just wasted time. A light on the truck and one on the trailer are messed up and have to be fixed, but that's all he cited this time.

Then ended up telling the guy I've worked for part time off. I quit him a few weeks back, but then told him I'd grind stumps and climb and drop trees for him, but no more honey suckle cutting, cause I don't want him talking our other guy(who he's gonna use to cut honey suckle mainly) into anything over his head and getting him hurt. So I went out to grind some stumps after work today, and he told Dad it's only 4 or 5 stumps and he'll give us diesel for the grinder(something he's never done before). So I go out and 5 stumps turn into 25 or 30 (given, about 15 are small 3 to 6 inch ones and the rest are 12" or larger) and he never once offered diesel for the grinder like he said he would. So I said screw it, we're done putting up with him and all his bs. Told him I quit and was tired of his bs and lies. Felt kinda bad later, but it feels good to be done with it now.

I've been trying to concentrate on soil ph, mycorrhizae soil injections and general improvement of site conditions,mulching etc.. Just adding spraying and trunk injections to my list recently.

It's good to stay busy. I pulled the usual for atleast two or three nights a week right now. 8 of production and then close to 4 of quoting. Gotta keep it all rolling.

Not a good day here. Got pulled over in the 3500 with the trailer for a DOT Inspection, wasn't bad, but just wasted time. A light on the truck and one on the trailer are messed up and have to be fixed, but that's all he cited this time.

Then ended up telling the guy I've worked for part time off. I quit him a few weeks back, but then told him I'd grind stumps and climb and drop trees for him, but no more honey suckle cutting, cause I don't want him talking our other guy(who he's gonna use to cut honey suckle mainly) into anything over his head and getting him hurt. So I went out to grind some stumps after work today, and he told Dad it's only 4 or 5 stumps and he'll give us diesel for the grinder(something he's never done before). So I go out and 5 stumps turn into 25 or 30 (given, about 15 are small 3 to 6 inch ones and the rest are 12" or larger) and he never once offered diesel for the grinder like he said he would. So I said screw it, we're done putting up with him and all his bs. Told him I quit and was tired of his bs and lies. Felt kinda bad later, but it feels good to be done with it now.

Adrian, don't be too hard on yourself. It's tough when you're raised to respect your elders and you expect them to be worthy of respect. But you'll find out that not all men are created equal and many aren't very worthy of your respect or your time. It's hard to believe but most people are selfish and will lie, cheat, and take advantage of others for their own personal gain; and they will have absolutely no remorse about it. A large percentage of tree guys fall into this classification and it's OK for you to recognize this and not allow yourself to be used by others. This shows maturity and self respect. You have to respect yourself because many others certainly won't. I try to give everybody the benefit of a doubt but I certainly won't stand for people who try to use me or take advantage of my generous and helpful nature.

Good for you for sticking up for yourself. :thumbup:

Agreed. Don't take shit in this business. Do good work, do it when you say you will, and for the price you said you would. If you have all 3 of those bases covered, don't take an ounce of shit from anyone.

I don't bid on a lot of jobs, but i did on the one done yesterday, but I had lost the bid to the guy that usually hires me, and he hired me to do that job too. I bid $700 for a crane job to remove seven leaning trees trees in a small woods next to a vacation home management office, including bucking them into four meter lengths and stacking them neatly along with the brush, I figured an easy day at a leisurely pace. The crane guy bids $600 to leave them in the woods where they were lain down, with two sections cut through at the base, that's all, we were done in two hours. I said to him, don't you think it is a little dangerous leaving the trees like that? They were sitting on their limbs and a few were on top of each other, and still over head. "Naw", someone wants the wood and will come and cut it up, and the budget is tight". That "someone" had better be careful out there, is all I can say. The whole thing bothered me less than it was confusing. The lady that runs that office is sort of old and doesn't know what's up. An extra $100 would have been dirt cheap for what she got instead. i was planning to hire another crane. The crane guy that hired me is so busy he is doing bs like this. Anyway, i got my pay and can just forget it, still.....

Yeah, I was hoping to get in good with that housing company, a lot of work comes up through them. I sort of feel like dropping in to have a chat with the lady about how things worked out, but it spells trouble if the crane guy got wind.

I guess this was the other day, but along with a big Black Oak, we removed a Fir that the home owner had built the tin roof around the tree. Now, I can see building a deck around a tree, because, everyone has to do that at least once in their life until they finally come to their senses. But really ? a tin roof on a shed ?.

Anyway, this isn't the first time I have had to do this and it annoys me when folks have this idea that the tree will never grow and create a problem.. So after rigging out limbs and all, we finally get to the ( tree that never grows) part at the roof line. It had grown into the tin roofing and of course after removing the portion of trunk under the eve, we're stuck with a foot and a half by eighteen inch piece still stuck to the roof line.

How would you guys, gals go about getting this piece out with damaging anything more to the roof ?

After cutting as low as possible from the top side, I would make the cut below the roof line as high as possible, but not quite all the way through. Then I'd split the piece stuck in the roof like a round of firewood, even if I had to plunge it with a saw for the first couple of splits. Much easier to lift out splits than wrestle a heavier, more awkward round out of the hole. Depending on how stubbornly it is stuck, you might have to plunge out a center hole, so the outer ring has a place to release to to break it loose from the tin roof.

Beat me to it on splitting it out. I'd leave it attached to the stump and split it a bit with a maul or saw so that it's stable and supported, then buck it off below the roof and pull the pieces apart.

If you cut a think cookie above and below, you might use a sawsall to cut it free from the roof in order to not wreck a saw chain.

Yep ! thats exactly what we did..... rip with saw and split with the Fiskers.....worked well

I am about to light a giant fire in a corner of my field today. I did get a permit(free) and there are no size limitations on it so hopefully no one freaks out! My wife has planned a weenie roast for some friends for the afternoon evening.................on a fire that's probably going to be 30' in diameter. Lol. I hope everyone is bringing loooooonnng sticks! I plan to have enough beer on-site that we can use it to control the fire if need be. It's a tough job but I'll be working hard at minding the cooler errr I mean fire all afternoon.

My two guys just got back last evening from their first decent sized climbing job on their own while I was home. They said all went well thinning 6 firs for light to the house and roof. Erik, who's managing things said he loved it. Harvey did a good job. He was sore from splitting 4 cords yesterday. Big rounds to wrestle to the splitter. 10 hours of it, and he's a hard worker, especially with some hard music jamming on the earphones. Erik said I could have done all 6 in the time they did it, which is fine. I told them that they had all day, and to take their time, be safe, and do a good job. It was intended as a stepping stone climbing job. Both are new to spurless climbing. Mostly ladder access to the crowns, but a little work with the foot ascender for Harvey, and Erik did a tree to tree transfer. A good day all around for the company. Not a money maker, really, but a little, and good training.

Back