How'd it go today?

A conveyor does help in your production. Don't rule it out. When you add up the time you spend throwing wood, it does add up. The fatigue slows you down over the hours too. Before going the processor route, I put a conveyor with the splitter, and it helps. It makes the work easier. When the work is easier, you can do more of it in a given period of time.

I hate the conveyor I'm running off the processor. It's a 24" wide rubber belt and doesn't grab the wood well. The conveyor on my splitter is a grain conveyor, which works much better but only goes 15 feet up. The conveyor on the processor goes 25 feet high, which is necessary. Either way, I believe you will produce more wood with less effort with the conveyor.

I look at fiorewood as you do Brendon. It's like a bank account I can tap if I really need to. Just pledged another cord of wood to a raffle for a good cause with option of $200.00 worth of tree work. Heat my home. Rainy day I tan drop some wood if I so need to :)

I hope I NEVER have another night like last night, flat scary! We had, at the last count I heard, 97 tornadoes in KS. At any given moment, 40% of the state was under a tornado warning. They activated the Skywarn spotters, which I am one, but asked we stay home to spot, they didn't want anyone out in it as it was dark and raining.
Up until last night I had seen a total of two tornadoes my entire life. Last night I called in three of them from my back yard! One was 1/4 mile wide, the other were a multi vortex with rope tornadoes. All were around six miles from the house and it was sheer dumb luck I could even see them because they were so rain wrapped. The lightning on the back side just struck in the right place, at the right time so I could see them.
We had been warned about this event, the weather channel was all over it, the local media was all over it, one local station even dropped regular programming at noon and went commercial free until noon today!
Minor injuries were reported, no fatalities but hundreds are homeless tonight. We all really got lucky last night! It was very humbling for me.

We've hit the dry line for this round, we might get some showers the next few days, but nothing severe. What's in store next week? Well we'll just have to wait and see!

Yeah, damn phone keeps ringing!
That one down by Dennis was a LOT worse than what we had here! But they had some daylight to see it, I hate trying to spot at night!

Dry as a bone here too. Although just went outside to some rain. Turns out my log trailer is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
No offense intended here Brendon, but that looks, on my screen in Olympia, to be sorta inefficient, especially if you're selling fully dry wood. You are fighting a whole lotta gravity in a big open, sunny space to have a pile with minimized sun and air exposure for drying hardwoods. Greenest wood on top of drier wood.

You probably have your reasoning, though.

What's your method?

Time will dry the wood. Sun and air are dandy, but time itself will do the trick, as my experiment last year proved.

I sell seasoned wood, cut and split a year ago. You can stack it if you'd like, and put another tally on the list for wood handling. ;)

Inefficient is stacking the wood. I already cut, split, tossed, then load. That's 4 times touching it, three too many.

Not in the firewood business here, just getting rid of, and heating my home with a waste product.

Interesting, the Skywarn board just contacted me, the want me to put on a presentation of what I did to prepare Saturday night. Not sure what I'm going to present them with but I bet it's interesting or something!

Another interesting thing, on another note, went to the Dr. today. My wife has been sick as a dog the last week. She doesn't miss work, she just doesn't! She's been home since last Monday, doesn't want to get out of bed, terrible cough, low grade fever etc. but wouldn't go to the Dr!
I told her last night if she wasn't going to work I was taking her in, I feared she had pneumonia as it's going around. The only way she would go was if I went in to get my cough checked out as well. I scheduled both of us and we both have bronchitis, no biggie there and I felt better.
But the interesting thing to me is I am now 5'11", not 6'1" like I used to be. Guess I lost two inches breaking my back!

Laying on the couch with a pounding headache. Had sinus surgery this morning...hopefull the third time is a charm. All compliments of a couple of wrecks in the woods when I was falling timber and busted my nose a couple of times. If you all get tired of my posts...remember that I am bored, in pain, and hopped up on pills :)

Hey, Cody ... I've followed you on other forums, GOOD to see you here -- WELCOME. Hang in there ... hope you're feelin' better :occasion5:

And, by all means, as Chris says: "Type on my friend, type on."

Feeling pretty miserable now :( Dang pain meds are not workin very well. Will post on when I feel a little better. Glad to be here in da house with you folks!

Pain meds are nothing...some of youins might want to kick me outta here if I post whilst drinkin some whiskey :)

Back