How'd it go today?

Remember that job where the guy texted the video? Ended up bidding it blind (well txt video blind) @ $700... Never heard back so I called and he said he didnt have the $ so we talked and I needed the work so we settled on $500. Bill and I took a laborer and went and wrecked it today. It was a pin oak tall and straight with a pretty big canopy. We ended up taking down 2 sections of fence, 30 minutes, and moving the trampoline. Just like we discussed on here I piled up wood by the above ground pool, brushed it out and started bombing trunk wood... did about five 3 to 4 footers up high and took the rest in three 10' sections till we could fit the spar in the yard. It was about 28" DBH and it took around 5 hours on site so it wasnt a huge profit but we both ended up taking home over $200. With all the wedding expenses coming up I need every bit I can get though.

On another note Davey is going well, I have tons less responsibility, basically zero, and I am making more $. LOTS of hours, and the crew are nice, very experienced and safe guys. They are going to buy me all new equipment so when I get the 'catalog' I will likely be coming to you guys to hear your thoughts. Saddle, biners, slings, pulley, splittails, rope and other misc stuff. They only have so much approved stuff so my choices will be limited somewhat but hey, free gear is free gear. Its a big change from my last gig where all the wear and tear was on my stuff.

Lastly I had some private dealings with DMC, I gotta say that guy is one hell of a dude. Thanks Dave!

bonner, glad things are going so well...

Went to breakfast this morning and picked up another stump job while eating 'cause the truck & trailer with the mini in it were parked outside. Ended up stumping all day except for the 12' stub I had to cut down on the last one. HO said it was all hollow and I could cut it with a 14" bar...glad I opted to grab my ground saw. did a bore cut and she was solid oak all the way through.

Dave, glad to hear your self employment venture is taking off well. Quite an investment you made and it's good to see it taking off.

Nick, awesome news about Davey. I think this will be an excellent stepping stone in your career and also provide you with some security. I'm glad you're liking it so far.

Easy DF take down and a RW'ed DF storm damage prune.

Erik felt satisfied felling a tall but not thick forest grown doug-fir. First one since his bicycle sabbatical.

A little chipping.

Ran some errands with Amy getting ready for the baby and a bite at the new Jewish deli in Oly. A different slice of life down there, both, that the deli and downtown Oly, the latter being a general freakshow.

I found something out today I never knew nor even cared about .A guy I work with is a base player turned electrician . He mentioned Elliot Randall who I met in 1966 when he was doing an extended gig in Lima ohio at a local club and filling in at a place called Custom Percussion .I used to pound the drums for his practice sessions .Sunny beech I had no idea he was the lead guitar for Steely Dan until today .Damn the kid made good good .

Just kept on snowing last night. Guess we lost power as well. We even had some sleet during what would be our work hours. I thought it prudent to take a couple days off. At least the kids will probably get to go skiing Monday.
Road conditions were pretty bad for this morning and Katy ended up going in late after the plow finally plowed and sanded the road out. Normally she is supposed to be in at 5am and probably did not get there until 8. I have an estimate to do today, but I won't have the 4WD vehicle so I may reschedule it. Don't know that we got even a foot of snow, but with the ice mixed in it, it's kind of messy outside. See what comes of the day.

I feel like shit. High 60's, sun shining. Took down a big Oak, and small Birch this morn, and the start of a row of Spruces. Made a load of chips and said screw this. I've got a nasty cough and achy. Add the blues and it's a recipe to go home.

4 foot of fresh powder :D Twas sweet ......
Well... it could have been sweeter if I had actually got more than one run on it :lol:
Most of my day was skiing backwards watching and teaching 1st & 2nd graders.

Sorry you got the blues, and sick Brendon.

Stephen, where about Yosemite do you live with that elevation, eastside of the sierras, no? I had been thinking on the valley side for some reason.

I sure was happy when the 5-gallon bucket of primer was empty last night. That meant I could quit painting. Came to the office today to rest. :)

It's great to be done with something isn't it?:) I finished painting last night.8) ...now on to the vanity, cabinets, floors, trim, & a little plumbing.:|:

Back