How'd it go today?

I do understand the whole weight issue with lugging the big bar. But wouldn't the extra effort to get a big tree down with a midget sized bar be more tiring??

Just curious. Don't go off the deep end on me!!

Ain't no extra effort if you know what you are doing!

I'd love to time it sometimes. Running a short, full comp chain, versus a long full skip on the same size saw, and felling the tree both ways.

Burnham, want to come over, and we'll get the stopwatch out:D

It is simply two different ways of doing the job, adapted to fit two very different working scenarios.

If I was working big conifers on the slopes of Mount Hood, I'd run a long bar and If Burnham was felling hardwoods on flat ground here, he'd run short ones ( I mean, the guy is not stupid, just stubborn:P)

We are just having way too much fun with this arguing about the right length, to give it up:)

I love cutting a tree with a small bar. When people see you going around cutting off the root flare, they get all nervous wondering which way you are felling the tree. :lol:

Yup, just having fun. I'm sure Stig is every bit as quick at the stump as I would be...plus, then he can jog to the next tree, whilst I have to drag the saw as I plod along.
:D

Most of you have probably seen this one before.
I'm not computer savvy enough to upload it, so go to my homepage: www.skoventreprenoeren.dk
At the bottom of the front page there is a video of me felling a beech tree.
Not much root flare cutting going on, I'm using a 24" bar on a tree suited for an 18" bar.

Burnham, I just watched it for the first time since forever.
You, as a forest treefaller will appreciate the fact, that even though I'm felling a seeding tree out in the open, I look up for falling branches, TWICE:lol:

BTW, see how nicely that 100 years old maul pounds in the wedges?

Actually I've just come across a great argument for you to use in our ongoing maul versus axe discussion.

My former partner, whom Richard & me fired for being a general incompetent, just affirmed our decision.

He went out logging on his own, forgot his cell phone and instead of going back for it, like any thinking person would do, started falling trees.
As luck would have it, he got pinned down by a branch and couldn't reach his saw.

That makes for a lonesome death, out in the woods, and no-one knows where you are!

As Richard put it, you can always try to gnaw your leg off, but with chainsaw protective pants on, that is quite the job.

Fortunately for him, he could reach his axe, and eventually managed to hack through the branch and crawl back to his truck, with only a severily sprained knee to show for his ordeal.

So, in that situation, I'll gladly admit that the axe is superior:lol:

Personally, I log with a partner and a cell phone, so I'll stick with my maul.:)

Great day today. Flopping red oaks on a high end property along the woodline. All of them dead from tent cwterpillars a few years back. Wood stayed, no topsleft on the trees worth mentioning. A little luck, and a few tools, was able to dump the trees back into the woods and not on the lawn. My right hand man came to me and told me today that he feels he has more to offer and wants to take on more responsibility to get me off the jobs and chasing work more often. He told me he wants to start climbing. I was floored by his ambition and willingness to view the company from that perspective. I gave him a raise recently when we got rolling for the year, and I seem to think he valued it and wants to keep working towards the next raise. I value him.

Good people are hard to find Chris, sounds like you got a keeper.

I'm just sitting here now minus my two front teeth. Extractions this morning, yee-haw. Toofless sucks and they say 2-4weeks of healing before the bridge can go in. Anyone want a slightly oversized dog with a bony head? That bugger has cost me a small fortune in dental repairs now, not to mention the discomfort of it all. I'm getting tired of having stitches in my mouth.

Ah. It's not that bad, atleast I'm able to eat right away this time.

Davey is stuck in the field across the road from my place(Must have a railway contract or something). I'm thinking I should do the right thing and offer to give them a tug out if I can. They have a pick-up with them but I don't think they're getting anywhere with it. I've had great success before by 'linking' two pull vehicles together like a train and pulling my bucket out.

Well they're out. They had it under control by the time I got over there. I know the guy who runs the Davey outfit around here so we had a bit of a chat and now they're cleaning up like crazy. They made quite a mess in the field and on the road getting the bucket out.

Meanwhile I wanted to go and get a load of 3/4- from the pit just around the corner from my place and now my 1ton/dump trailer set-up is firmly planted in the edge of my field.:whine:

I can't believe it. I'll get it out easy enough once I have someone to drive my other truck and pull.:|:

Dude I know right, weird weather here as well. Hitting low to mid eighties and its not even Spring yet.

Bummer on the two front teeth also man. I know it sucked when I got my four wisdom teeth pulled, two days of no solid food haha.

Easy, laid back day today. We got quite a bit of rain last night, and on and off today, so no work today. Spent the day running some errands, got my tax checks mailed so that's done. Next week is looking good weather wise, hopefully we can get a solid week of work in for once in a long time lol.

Short day today. Chipped up a few jobs for another tree service. Their chipper went down and is being fixed and they were in a bad jam. We were done by noon and I didnt want to bite into anything before the weekend. Looks like next week should be a strong week. Im optimistic about 2012.

Sheesh, missing teeth is going to be hard on your bid closure! What were you doing to your dog?

Kaila wanted to do crew pix today for our newsletter

Attachments

• Crew4.jpg
    Crew4.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 27
Haha, yeah, Scott is our ground man. Dude used to be 300 pounds! Pretty amazing comeback

Attachments

• DSC_0383.jpg
    DSC_0383.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 9
Nice group of pics Willie!

picked up two multi-stump jobs for tomorrow morning and drove out to look at another job of 7-8 red oak removals. Going to start the oaks in the afternoon but won't finish for another day or two. Smallest one is about 24dbh, biggest is co-dominant 32-34". Fair amount of roping involved.

Sounds like an awesome job right now to me, Dave.
Just finished a 2 day stint pulling poison oak out of trees on a thinning job. Feels like I hardly get any felling done.
Raining pretty good now, might have tomorrow off :)

Back