How'd it go today?

Well, just got in from taking down a ~80' water oak. Felt plumb near like a hurricane before I was done. I had no idea the wind was supposed to howl like it is today. Glad it's over!

Fun and interesting day today. We were down our normal ground guy because he's sick, so Dad and I finished up a quick clean up at yesterday's job, than met our contract climber at the shop. Pruned two Sycamore's for the second job. Dad was dreading pulling the brush up a steep hill but I threw a pulley on an eyelet welded above the infeed table on the chipper and another on a big fence post and just ran a rope through those to a truck. Saved us a good hour of humping brush and wood and rakings up the hill. Got everything in two large loads up the hill. Times like these I wish we had a winch on the chipper.

Ok day - couple of ash trees pruned, a spruce & a cherry killed. Back pruning street trees tomorrow- not looking like fun, but better than chasing the idiots around asking them why they are not doing there fair share of work. Company politics suck

Had tires to fix this morning. I dropped Rob off at the job site to start the burns that needed doing before I could get back with the truck. Then went back to the job site and killed and started butchering a grey pine. Go back tomorrow after dropping the van off for a brake job and finish that tree and start on some other storm damage and brushing the guy wants done over the next couple days.
Stopped by the day care centre and I have a large storm damage live oak to remove. I might do that on my days off just to keep ahead of schedule. I really need to get busy tonight with some estimates on a maintenance account for a commercial rental property and some storm damage I looked at. One being a crane job. I will be one of four vying for it. See what happens.

Ran an errand into the city this morning...watched this guy from my porch much of the afternoon.

He just laid up there yawning & napping for about 5 hours.

I figured if it's too hot for the squirrels to play I'm sittin' in the shade.

003.jpg

008.jpg

Hit an all-time record high temp for March here today.

Speaking of squirrels ,one of the orphaned squirrels Tom's lady is trying to save expired .The other seems to be doing find .They are fox squirrels of which they originally thought they were reds .

She went and got some type of puppy formula to feed them .

I started a fire today, ended up calling the fire department to help put it out. It was a small code enforcement job for the city of Orlando cutting down a couple dead trees along a sidewalk and ditch. Not much left to the trees other than about 30' of very punky trunk and a couple rotten stubs. The first one started smoldering while I was cutting it down and I thought I had it out, checked each piece and didn't see any smoke or embers. By the time I finished the second one, about 3-4 chunks of the first one were smoking pretty good. I dragged the burning chunks out onto the sidewalk and tried to isolate them but there was a 15+ mph breeze blowing the embers back towards the dry sawdust and 20 years of decayed crap on the ground.

After about 10 minutes I realized I wasn't going to be able to put it out any time soon, and I was busy chasing embers that kept igniting toward the ditch. So I called the fire department and the pumper truck was pulling up before I got off the phone with the operator (about 2 minutes, they were right up the street). They pulled out their small 1.5" hose and soaked it down while another guy hooked up a bigger hose to the hydrant 50' away so they could refill their tank on the truck. Took them about 20 minutes and 3 tries to get everything extinguished. I hope they got everything, because I left as they were leaving. If it sparks up again this afternoon then somebody else will have to call it in.

Yup, my Husky 372 muffler caught the wood on fire. It was like powder and dry so it burned like shredded cardboard.

And I do have screen on my muffler, including the extra port I added on the front. But it will still blow enough heat to catch dry wood on fire once in a while.

Dang man, sounds like you had an interesting day haha. Glad it all worked out.

Easy day today, just climbing and pruning a good number of small to medium sized trees. Feeling the heat here, for March at least. Crazy weather we're getting.

That's pretty dry, for sure.

Right here, today, you couldn't start a fire with a blowtorch...wet heavy snow, a foot of it since middle of last night, still coming down. Soggy.

Gonna have to start carrying a Mcleod and an extinguisher Brian :D
Just kidding. I start them from time to time here as well. Usually moss on the stump or saw dust. We just usually have the gear to put it down.
Except for that little mishap from last year. :/:

31mOHe6-ShL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

Well shit. You just reminded me that I have an extinguisher on the truck (right next to the driver's door) but it completely escaped me until just now. It's been hanging there for 4 years so it's probably close to being expired anyway, would have been a good excuse to use it up.
:banghead:

A rake will aid in a sawdust or leaf fire as well. Just rake the stuff back away from more fuel and upon itself. Clean the path of more fuel for it to get in to. We use rakes all the time to keep fire piles behaving.

Lawdy It was hot here today .June weather in March .

Figures I had to knock down a tractor tire today .I'm glad it was just a 28 and not a big one . Damned calcium chloride rusted the rim and poked a hole in the tube .I'll weld up the rim get a new tube and have-er -done in a day or two .No more calcium for me .

A rake will aid in a sawdust or leaf fire as well. Just rake the stuff back away from more fuel and upon itself. Clean the path of more fuel for it to get in to. We use rakes all the time to keep fire piles behaving.

I had a ton of debris grown into a chain link fence 5 feet away, and a 15-20 mph tail wind. I wasn't about to clean up the landscaper's mess (the clean up crew wasn't there yet). I did have a rake and pitchfork but there was too much combustible material for me to isolate it.

Not much chance of starting a fire here it's raining again. I can't remember it ever being this wet, it's sending me broke.

That's along with the dentist, it was my turn today. They're sure getting some money out of us lately. Deep cleaning for me, two hours & $1050. That's more than I've made in the last two weeks and there's more rain coming.::cry:

Crane job yesterday and today. Two guys and the operator, eighty trees down. My elbow hurts. Working on the vid, some interesting moments upstairs in the wind.

Back