How'd it go today?

It is sunday, so I didn't do much of anything, but write a few bills.

One of my best clients is expecting a baby soon, so I fired up the lathe and made her a baby rattle in boxwood.

P1010125.JPG P1010120.JPG

One thing you can do is to cut the oil filter open, cut a 1" swath of filter maybe a quarter of the way around, put the accordion piece of filter in a vice and squeeze all the oil out. Then open the filter and see if there are any chunks. Small specs are normal but you shouldn't be able to feel them

There was no visible chunks whatsoever, just lots and lots of color. We have not had color in any oil change previously on this engine. I still have the filter, I will cut it open and look for chunk. The oil is down the drain, so I will have to wait till the machine has a little use before I can get a good sample for testing.

Should be some oil in the filter. I would suspect a bushing. Crank bearings would be silver specks until they got down really deep, then I think you would see oil pressure drop or hear some rattle.

John Deere is pretty tough. I saw a tractor seize up when the oil plug fell out. Never got tightened. I put oil in it and towed it. Broke loose and ran fine for years. When I tore it down to put new sleeves and bearings in you would never know it had a problem.

This was bronze color specks. The oil pressure is fine and there are no rattles, just color. I am gonna run it as long as I can, maybe pull the pan off and see what I can see. Just want to investigate the cost of a rebuilt engine to drop in, in case it gets worse.

Raining again. Like yesterday and last friday too. And even tomorrow.
At least someone seems like he's not caring about the weather outside...

tart1.JPG

tart2.JPG

No, we don't have snapper here. It was born not even one month ago.
His parents are quietly sleeping outside at the moment . I'll see them again next march.

Put the rattle in the freezer and the ring in the oven.
Havent you ever put crankshaft bearing on a 1930-whatever engine?

The old captive ring trick is one that virtually every turner knows.
It is quite easy to do, the hard part is getting the ring to have a smooth cross section.
I'm not 100% satified with this one, there is a line that should have been scraped/sanded away.
It shows clearly on the second picture.
Jay will spot it for sure.

What a cool rattle. How did you get the ring on? Does it come apart.

Oops, I posted before reading the last post. Still dont know how you did it. Really cool.

The ring is simply cut in place, then separated from the rest of the rattle.
Centuries old trick.
Then after separating it, one puts a piece of sanding linen around the narrow part of the rattle with gaffa tape.
When the rattle spins on the lathe, that can be used to sand the inside of the ring.

All it takes is a little manual dexterity.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C-tXOqLlvJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That said, making a captive ring with lots of room to work both sides as he does is super easy.
The difficult part is to make it in as small an space as possible, it took me years before I could get the space between the round "head" of the rattle and the part behind the ring down to where it is now.

I don't know how many rattles I've made, but it is a 4 figure number.
It used to be my show piece, that I'd demonstrate at turning gettogethers.

My best time for turning one is 6 minutes.

Now that I don't turn regularly any more, I'm way slower.
This one took at least a ½ hour, but then boxwood is hard to work.

so far so good today, woke up with an hour extra sleep, wife made coffee and I had an interesting conversation about tree related stuff with a univerity professor in Italy. Chores the rest of the day it looks like.

Back