How'd it go today?

When me and the boys were sitting in our hammocks in the top of a giant Sequoia, two years ago, watching the sun go down, it was really quiet, the way it only gets in the mountains.
Suddenly Richard turned to me and said: " I bet your tinnitus is real loud right now".

Asshole:lol:

I have been looking on the net for better hearing protection for the very reason you guys are talking about. I would like to prevent as much hearing loss as possible and I am curious what the best protection is. My dad was in this industry for 35 years and his hearing is aweful, I have to repeat myself every time. I don't want to be like that. You guys using any hearing protection that you really like that keeps your head flaps safe?

The hardest part is getting people who get sick of repeating every other thing they say to understand that it's as annoying to us as it is to them. I'd love to be able to catch every word the first time; having to ask people to repeat what they're saying is a pain in MY ass, too. But even with hearing aids... you still miss a lot, although the new ones are WAYYY better than the old ones. It sucks being a passenger trying to listen to other people, when the only ear you can hear out of at all isn't facing them. Some of you whom I've met have surely noticed I ALWAYS move to put you on my right-hand side. You don't really notice how much you're reading lips until someone talks when you can't see their face. I even sit at someone's table in preference to being able to hear them.

FJR, what we found in the Forging industry is to run a light set of ear plugs, then use a maximum rated set of ear muffs. We never took the plugs out unless we where in the office area. You do reach a point in really loud environments were the sound literally transmits through your body, and no matter how much hearing protection you use it is still loud.
I haven't found stock saws to be that loud and just run a maximum plug or earmuff.

I've got a little ring in the right ear but it comes and goes .It wasn't just saws ,industrial noise ,having a battery blow up in my face ,running old diesel cats with a straight pipe and a depth charge run kind did it in years ago .

It kind of got worse a few weeks ago running souped up Macs with gutted mufflers at a GTG .I should have thought about ear plugs at the time but it slipped my mind.Usually after a period of time it goes away maybe it will again .

Did you guys here sumptin?? :/:

Oh yeah.. my day turned screwy after the mail got here. Seems someone in foreign lands is using my Visa Debt card with out my permission:X
Sooooo
Down to the bank.... Kill card and get fraud report form to submit. Kill card.
Go to Sheriffs office and file a report so I have a case number for the bank...
Call one vendor on the charges and get a full refund and kill some one else's account :D
Other vendor is in CT. They are closed due to weather and probably a loss of electricity. Soooo I will handle that when they are back open.
Only got me for a few hundred in 4 charges. I got lucky :) Then again... Not all the money is in there for a reason :/:

BTW Stig.. sorry you have to go through that.. getting older sux :P in some ways :)

I have a hard time hearing in crowded places. It's not that I'm deaf, I just hear everything that's going on around me, and it's really hard to communicate like in a restaurant for instance. I find that I have to be looking straight at the person to understand them, probably a little lip reading required.

Wrecked a big dead oak today for my sawmill budies church. Did it as a freebie and 3 guys from the church did the ground work. Strange thing was I worked till 2 but felt fresh when I rolled home. I think just not really having to worry about equipment or employees and just climbing is nice once in a while.......

Stig, I have had hearing aids for about 5 years. they were cheapy $3400 ones. Work great, when I wear them. Usually not at work as I can hear the saws and chipper just fine without them. They are the behind the ear type, but most people don't know I have them on.

PC, it's always better to sit back and wreck and not try to run the job too.
Tomorrow, i just have to wreck a redwood down in woodside.
Cash day, love working someone else's job once in awhile.

I ran a job today, two pine removals, two sites,
the client changed back and forth, chips stay, go, wood stays, goes, stays.
Hustle around on the ground, load wood, do on the spot bids, "mister, look at my tree".

Sheesh, Beer was made for tree guys........and gals.

Ear protection, I use plugs almost all the time, just to drown out people talking mostly.
I protect my hearing for later in life I want to still be able to listen to soft soothing classical music.

just got back from the caa safety seminar. what an eye opener. John Traverso of Traverso tree service was there to to talk about loosing an employee last year in a chipper accident. i heard about it when it happened but i didnt know any thing about the company and just assumed that they were lax or reckless. turns out they were/are a very competent co. with a better (much) safety and training program than my current co. of employment. you can bet your ass ill be on the boss to improve things, as well as running my jobs in a much more safety conscious mindset. the other thing i learned is DOCUMENTATION, equipment checks, training, safety meetings... dont mean spit to osha if it aint documented. cool day. im excited to go back to work. oh, and i got my big shot in the mail!

Silencio silicone ear plugs and muffs.

Sometimes the pitch of the voice is in the range of hearing loss. I knew someone who could not hear her mom, but could her dad. If the mom lowered her voice, more like the dad, it was easier for the mom to be heard by the daughter.

Yesterday I was at C4 Funs for a little visit .Going home on US 30 I saw 6 gigantic wind generator blades heading eastward .Those things where on a 90 foot extended trailers and hung 10 feet out the back and must have been 12 feet wide .Must be a huge windmill .Probabley a tad too large for Don Quixote to tilt against .

Al,
We have those big mills not far from where I live. South of Thruway (90) is one site of about 7. More south is a site I have no idea but I would guess 100. Pike. They really aren't that loud or annoying when you stand right next to them. I don't mind the way they look either, but lots of people do.

There are a few in this area although they aren't quite that large .I've seen them in West Virginia that are in between two mountain peaks where the wind picks up speed .Those are huge and can be seen from miles away .

I guess there is quite a conglomeration of them about 35 miles north west of where I live near Van Wert Ohio but I've never seen them .

You should make a detour and go see em. I took some of my family to see them when we were in the area. It isn't Pike, it is Eagle where the big site is. Pike is where we had a get together.

The towers have a man door and steps that go up inside. The foundations are massive.

Well it's me and mama Dar for family .However just last year my daughter the environmentalist/engineer/gymnist/marketing expert was involved in the Ohio wind generation projects when she worked for the Ohio PUCO .

I was invited to take a tour of the whole thing until she got a burr up her butt and sought employment elsewhere because of the Attila the Hun governer they elected who wants to privatise the entire state with lower payed people so his buddies can get a piece of the pie acting as private contractors .

Actually I could still tour the thing because her real close friend of whom she lives with is in charge of the whole state from an environmental stand point . I'll probabley see him around Christmas time .

Back