How'd it go today?

Today was good.

First job, customer was super happy, bought us breakfast, drinks, and cash money in the end.

Showed up second job that was awarded to me two weeks ago, with an addition of some storm work from Sunday. Every tree was done, asshole never had the courtesy to even call me not to come, was a buzz kill after the first job. The fact I did work there in the past and he lived down the street didn't matter I guess. I'm wondering if he'll come by and say anything while we are working across the street tomorrow.

Now that just sux, Bren. Give him the Evil Eye!

Yesterday and today thinning on steep ground, a prefectural contract that a friend bid on and won. The majority of forests here are on steep ground. :|: Leave the deciduous and space out the conifers as prescribed, but it really comes down to your own judgement on what to cut. Lots of trees with broken tops and those all have to go too. Size ranges from pecker poles to about 24" diameter. Hung up trees are unavoidable. Lots of thought towards safety. Pooped but a good tired. String a few of the steep ground days together and it gets you in shape, carrying all your essentials...fuel and oil with you, and lunch on location. Sweat city, lots of sports drink. Rain chased us out at three today, a typhoon moving in, but that is about quitting time anyway. Watched over a new young guy for half the day. He is enthusiastic. :)

Hot ,hot ,hot .The heat index is over 100 .I mowed the yard before it got so hot but waited too long before I blew the grass out of the flower beds and sidewalks .Only took ten minutes but the sweat is just dripping off me .

Butch. You could move to Alaska and resume treecare...

Brendon. I have shown up and started working on a job before only to have another tree crew show up to the same job. Funny part was I had walked thru with the homeowner the week prior and marked the trees that were coming down. Turns out the other crew spyed the marked trees and undercut my price. Homeowner neglected to call me off the job. We were overhalf done when the other tree crew showed up. I've never heard such foul language used between the HO and the owner of the other tree service!

I'm just sour about it because I did him a favor in the past. We dropped two big assed dead trees in the woods, deal was to cut them out of the creek, and leave everything else. Priced for 3 hours. Neighbor comes over (husband on the wetlands committee), said we can't leave the wood not cut up in the woods like that. So I spent another three hours cutting the shit to lay flat, I'm talking 40" diameter trees. I eventually told the HO this, and he asked if I wanted any extra, let him know. Neighborly old fashioned guy I like to think I am, said "No, don't worry about it, you have plenty more future work for us".

We both didn't have power, and he knew that. He wrote me an e-mail I eventually got days later, if it was such an emergency all he had to do is call. He had to call to get someone else after all, why not just ring me so see what was up after no response to the e-mail he sent.

In the end I responded to his e-mail, thanking him for not giving me a courtesy call to say he had the job done before I brought the equipment there, and told him we'd rather not work for him.

I'm mostly blessed with a good group of customers, sometimes you have to pick the weeds.

Thanks Stephen. Still digging myself out of the months of no work hole, a tough job site, but lots better than sitting and 'pondering'. The down side is having been stung through my glove by one of our various wasps today when grabbing a limb. I didn't see what it was. Finger swelling up and already itching like an absolute mf.

It's a crying shame that the friggin heat MADE me change my career.
Oh it's just a thing ,not a big thing .Sometimes they just happen in life .

I can still take the heat although I'm not so sure how well I could in LA or Fla . I don't do it every day either . You know it's hot when you can swig half a dozen pints of ice water and never pee once .It's going somewhere .

I went into a 7-11 yesterday on the way home from the mountain, opened the refrigerator door to grab a sports drink and it was frozen solid. What the...? Apparently it is the latest thing at the convenience stores to help combat the heat. They sell underpants at those places too, so sooner or later......

Slashing all day with the utility crew. Worked with one of their apprentices, as the CUA's are both in transit today. Kid had only ever seen someone climb on a split tail a month previous to me climbing that way yesterday. Been doing it for a year on Van. Island. Was asking all sorts of questions regarding treework, cool to see the interest.

Speaking of wasps, I was splitting some wood today when along came the biggest frikkin wood wasp I have ever seen in my life. Watched me operate the splitter for a moment, then I followed it around for a while before he buzzed off...ha. Thing was probably a total of 4 inches long, amazing!

Ain't it the truth, Butch.....

Wasps, I'm googling to see how long before the swelling might go down? Real hot and balooning up now. Going to the hospital for a drip will eat up my whole day. If I saw what it was and the guilty party was a Giant Asian, getting the drip would be the only option. I saw a few buzzing around earlier. Hate those fookers.

Spent the day in the creek bed over the hill form us. We had brushed it out prior and we cut the new growth back every year. Needless to say that the willows did fantastic with all the water they got this year. The creek is usually pretty dried up by this time and there was still standing water in it. Limbed up some, dead wooded some...
Stig, I too got to swing that dang power scythe today in all those little willows.
At least I did not have steep slopes like Jay today, that we normally have, so I feel ya buddy. Those will be later this month.. Thinning trees and pulling poison oak out of the survivors. Last time I was there I got hit twice by the damn wasps.
Nice thing today was, there is a red shouldered hawk that lives on that property. He has it all figured out that when you cut brush and grass (when equipment is running) mice, gophers and snakes run out.. meal time. So he sat on branches right above me not 10-20 feet away regardless of the noise I was making with the brush cutter or the chainsaw. Took a mouse right in front of me when I had taken down some grass first thing. Then sat and watched some more.. Then when I was removing some old willow stumps... mouse came running out and he took that one right behind me then and there. Sat there watching me eating his break fast and lunch :lol:
Pretty dang cool... Wish I had my camera. Quite beautiful. made me feel good about cutting that creek out as well, some part of nature benefited by it :) We do leave some habitat on the other side, so it is not all cleared ;)

The fastest hawk I've ever seen is a little sparrow hawk .They can hit so fast and be gone so quickly all you see is a little puff of feathers from the snatched bird .They're only about as big as a blue jay .

Back