How'd it go today?

Yeh Ger, I feel my mind was not on the game. I was unprepared for the day as I decided to take Sunday off work so didnt get stuff ready and then felt rushed with all the guys showing up and the crane guy being early (he was supposed to set a hot tub first but did it last week). Started off bad and got worse. When I saw that biner unclipped I almost came down and went home but shoot I had 4 guys and a crane there:|:

Love running 2 businesses....

Working at an agreeable pace sure make life easier and more comfortable....safer. One of the secrets also to clean woodworking by the way, the mind one step ahead of the action.

Working at an agreeable pace sure make life easier and more comfortable....safer. One of the secrets also to clean woodworking by the way, the mind one step ahead of the action.

Couldn't agree more Jay.

School is in full force as of today. Can do what we are starting on in programming class on my mac but going to have to break down and get a PC for later and for ARCGIS stuff. Hoping I can get the GIS software for free through the programming class.

I could do it all at school but I'm a bit slow in the computing department and would rather have more time at home to figure things out. I can see already I am going to have my hands full with these two classes and zoology...glad I didn't take the other class I was thinking about...

Wow Paul..... That is a bad day :(
I am happy however you that you were observant and thorough enough to realize your tie in situation.

Sort of a goofy day here. Went to cut a good sized hanger over a eating area and pathway at the B&B up the street. Got that done and it went quick so I took some more dead I saw while I was up there. Then I was supposed to prune out a blue oak at the same place. Once I got in the tree, I found more stuff that needed doing (of course). Found more mistletoe and crossed limbs... I figured I had a day to complete the job and I could most likely pull it off even with some extra work... HA! Foiled again! I had Rod touching up the Catalpas with the pole saw and pulling any hangers he could reach in the oak as I worked it. IMG_1009.jpg
Well, needless to say a screw came loose... I am 1/2 way through the tree, crown cleaned of mistletoe that I found once I got up there. Side over the drive way all dead wooded and large amounts of layered limbs gone. Tons of climbing down vertical limbs to get to stuff. Ahhhhh for a bucket truck. SO now I am on the side I really need the pole saw to get at stuff that is just out far enough to cause me grief. Saved that side as we had to lower stuff over the green belt under it and the walk way that is planted on both sides and nicely raked. Pole saw comes up missing a bolt on the blade. Funny how you should have more in the tool box, and low and behold, none to be found today.
I rapped out, apologized and will be back next week to complete the other half. At least no car bashers over the driveway.
Sold her more work though :lol: IMG_1009.jpg IMG_1008.jpg

This damn oak was a mess! 70 foot high with about a 50 foot spread. I don't think it has ever been touched prior. Save for low limbs being removed in the past.

And I don't know why it posted two of the catalpa.:scratch:
Got paid for 1/2 days work and gonna chill out before unloading chips.

Hey Stig... when ya all done with that there.... :/:
Seriously tough job. Good to have the steady income from it though.

Nice work, Stephen.

Paul, Gawd-dang. Slow down or Fall down.
Man, you're too smart to be careless.

Stig, I used to clean miles of creeks in Marin county supervising a conservation crew. Fun stuff.
It is nice on a hot day for sure. Stoked on a 5 year contract.

I was working the ground yesterday, Guy up top yelled headache.
Looked up to see him banana cutting a good sized dead upright branch.
After I realized I wasn't far away enough, I started running.
After like three steps I got smacked in the back and knocked the wind out of me as I ran. Haha.

The branch had landed vertical, broke and slingshot the top of itself at me as I ran from it.
No worries, Deep gash in the back on my spine. Heating pad and stretching and life is relaxing again.

No disrespect, but.
Running for your life, In my opinion is not a proud moment.

But, glad it was a smack and not a poke, :)
Trees hit back sometimes.

Walked up and down the mountain forest helping a friend who is a surveyor. Mapping it out for some thinning which is going to happen. I held the mirror thing that bounces back the laser beam, and pounded stakes. Lots of steep ground and thick growth, I'm ready for the sack too. Mountain survey can be tough work, and the people who do it deserve respect.

I think that climber in the tree should have hollered out a little sooner, Deva. Least it would have given you a better margin to get out of the way in time. Or where you asleep at the wheel?

Be careful guys! Check your gear check the LZ and recheck communication is hugely important to a safe work place. I was on a job subbing not too long ago were a guy got smacked hard enough to crack his helmet and get knocked out. The climber and the guy who got hit have worked together many times and in many major hurricane clean ups and just got a little to complacent with each other. Chit happens and anything can happen just do everything you can to not let it happen.
Stay safe!

Damn. Gonna have a tailgate meeting this morning. Sketchy cracked and mostly dead Acacia on the books for today. Y'all are making me nervous.

Tough work, Stig. Remind me, what do you cut with?

A002D001_z.jpg

One of these .
Stihl combi tool. Not made to run under water, but handles it real well if greased regularly with marine grease. The trick is not to get the engine under water:D
For the thicker stuff I use a scthe with a special narrow blade with a sleek cross profile, so it cuts easily under water.

In case some one has not swung one of those hedging/power scythe attachments on the end of a brush cutter all day let alone a regular scythe......... It gets harsh. Hats off to you Stig.

I've cut willows and alders out of streams numerous times and every time it just amazed me how much resistance it added to the dragging and pulling the brush out of the water. Especially when there was a current. Ten fold the weight and mass to manage until its out of the water.

I cleared swamp in preparation for a boardwalk to a small creek. Close to 3/4 mile. I was 17 at the time. Spent anentire summer with a brushcutter and a shotgun slung on my shoulder. I don't know if I could or would do that again.

Back