How'd it go today?

The water resistance is why some smart fellow developed a special scythe blade for cutting under water. It makes a world of a difference.
And yes, it is hard work and the pay is lousy some years, but who here has not done hard work for lousy pay to get through bad times.
We are all in the same boat, which is why we understand and respect each other so well.

My new apprentice, Martin, started just as creek clearing went on.
He had been told at his interview that getting that contract was what made us able to take on another apprentice, and that he would have to work with me untill the season was over.

He has really been busting his butt in the creeks. He is a former soldier and has that " death before dishonor" gene. Rather blow a fuse than admit that he can't keep up with me ( I may be old, but I have 8 years of experience in this kind of work).

He has really impressed me, and I don't impress that easily.

In a week he is off to forestry school , so just to make him feel like something else than a ditch clearer, we have set up a saturday rec climb, where about 10 people are showing up and friday I'll take him down to the local outfitter and buy him his first set of climbing gear, saddle, rope etc. as a bonus for working so hard.

So when he gets to school , hopefully he'll feel like a climber.

Jerry,the best thing about running apprentices, except for seeing them turn out to be accomplished fallers, is seeing them the day they get to put their first real big tree on the ground.

We'll always pick out a good one beforehand, since it is paramount that they have a succesful experience.

But seeing their face after they have put that thing on the ground, right where it was supposed to go is priceless.

The biggest grin in the world.

Probably like ours, when you took us up the Coombs tree, come to think of it, so you'll know what I mean:)

I stayed on the ground, you guys got up there by yourselves. But I know what you mean about letting a young fellow take the saw and fell a note worthy tree for the first time.

I remember my first big fell very clearly. Though I wasn't truly given the opportunity. First I had to cry enough before my foreman caved in and said "OK, damn it. You can fall the next one." Which was the one I was hoping for. Mac 125 with a 60 inch bar. Strained my gonads too trying to level it out. I tucked that tree right in between stumps at the head of the lay. My foreman said, "Beginners luck" About the only thing I knew back then was what the sights were for. And I could tell fairly well which way a tree leaned. Oh yeah I had a big smile on my face.

You never forget those moments.

That is really cool Stig. I hope he has a great time on the rec climb :)
Stig? Have you ever tried a dry suit (like a wet suit) for canal clearing instead of waders. Might be too hot.. Dunno. Just wondered. Probably would be more mobile that waders are.

Today we cut and chipped about 150 feet of drive way, 5 yards of chips, up in the Telegraph Fire zone so everything was nice and kiln dried dead. Pushed the new and burned brush 15-30 feet in places back from the road. Almost had words with the neighbor on this place again. He blocked our entrance on the easement to the clients property and there was no pull out. He just kept coming with his truck. I got out, went up to him and told him to put it in reverse unless he wanted to be stuck in the easement for quite a while. I can't back our little chipper down that blasted hill easily so it would be more unhitching the chipper and setting it aside. Then back the truck around it and letting him out. He complained about "his road" and our client and proceeded to reverse his vehicle when he saw the VERY irritated look on my face knowing full well I was serious about not moving for him. If he blocks my access on that property again and I lose a second day of work for it... he will find his ass in court. I had a copy of the parcels and the easement and who owns what in the truck. I told my client my intent and to let him know next time he harasses her over the phone about calling him ahead of time when it is her property he crosses to get to his along with BLM and a mine claim. I wanted to about drag him out of his truck and beat him senseless this morning. But I kept my cool and hoped he would call the sheriff so I could have the upper hand and shut his bull shat up with the paper work I was carrying :D
Got paid, I am covered in P.O. from chipping it.
Now I have to shower and run both boys to soccer.. 1 at 5pm and the other at 5:30 .....

Collected the cheque for a landscaping gig this AM and did some light pruning today. Tommorrow I start a contract for a Utility crew which is clearing lines be Summerland. Their lead climber is back on the Island, so I'll be filling in for him. They hired me as a groundsman, but quickly changed their tune after they learned I was a climber on my first day. Hopefully I'll be able to build up some hours to the Utility ticket and make a good contact with a company on the Island.

I think that climber in the tree should have hollered out a little sooner, Deva.

I agree. or atleast told me that I wasn't far enough away.
Thing that bothers me is that the guy has an excuse for everything.

Like today he almost ran over my climbline with the bobcat. Tracked in deep sand.
He coulda pulled me outta the tree. Just a DingBat.

Home now and tired from a long day and now it's time to hang with the kid.

We have a few outfits like that around here. Guys just have total disregard for the amount of damage they can inflict with a foot long chunk of wood. And when I have stopped and asked them about ppe. They just give some bs excuse about hardhats are for pansies. I would have liked to have bonked him on the head with a twig just to prove a point.

Jerry,the best thing about running apprentices, except for seeing them turn out to be accomplished fallers, is seeing them the day they get to put their first real big tree on the ground.
It kind of works the same way with any apprentice regardless of the occupation . I figured I've pushed over a hundred in my life time that I can think of . I'm real proud of most of them .

Big ones are note worthy, but some hung up trees are the ones I mostly remember. Getting those suckers down safely can be a challenge. Sure can eat up some time as well.

I bet it does, Al.
Treat them right, set goals for them to accomplish and give them a chance to really learn the trade and most will shine through.
Having each and every one of mine still active in forestry is one of the things that make me feel real good.

Lucky day .My mother was a tad worried because she just about lost all water pressure in the top story of that big old farm house I grew up in .

I had visons of snaking new pipes up through interior walls to fix the problem ,not good .Turns out just to have been a clogged water filter . She had one plugged a few months ago which I had replaced but dumb me used a 5 micron instead of a 20 micron .

Back on the utility crew today. Different scope of work for sure, not what I'm used to. Skinning trees, spiking retain trees...but what do you do? I asked the foreman if I could climb the trees without spikes...you should have seen the look he gave his apprentice, and then me.

When in Rome...

Worked in a customers pet cemetery limbing trees and such. It got over grown so you could barely go visit Mama Cat, Butch and else wise. Made it all pretty and accessible again and void of dead trees. Then did the driveway entrance and behind one of three houses. Then dropped a couple dead live oaks and butchered them up. Left the chips on site for their chicken coup, got paid and tripped on home.
Good day :)

Today was good.

First job, customer was super happy, bought us breakfast, drinks, and cash money in the end.

Showed up second job that was awarded to me two weeks ago, with an addition of some storm work from Sunday. Every tree was done, asshole never had the courtesy to even call me not to come, was a buzz kill after the first job. The fact I did work there in the past and he lived down the street didn't matter I guess. I'm wondering if he'll come by and say anything while we are working across the street tomorrow.

Back