How'd it go today?

Toms old Lindag C and D with a 300 Ford was a wood eating machine .Just stand aside when feeding it else it could spit out a big chunk and smack you upside the noggin or beat the tar out of you with the tail end of a branch .It doesn't take long to learn that lesson though .

Never better words to describe all the happenings through the apprenticeship and true art of feeding a drum chipper.

Got to work with our friendly competition on a job a couple years ago. I was hired to do the fruit trees and he was using a bucket (under my suggestion at the time) to remove some large epicormic leaders (what to call them when they are as big as a tree?) over a bus home on a hollow oak. When him and his crew finished their brush, the HO asked if they would chip ours and we helped. 6 of us feeding that beast of a C&D like you describe. She kept adding to the job it was going so fast... Couple of pines, some more of her oaks raised... It was a hoot to watch that kinda crew move material through a chipper.

Had a good weekend with the family over in Ashcroft. Knocked a little hung up beaver chewed poplar out of a larger one for the wife's gramma (a treeman's weekends are never free, are they?). Attended a wedding reception, floated a river, and had a good visit.

Drove back home today, but meandered a little off the beaten path and dropped off the Nikosi with a fellow treehouser who was generous enough to feed my family a fine meal (with an ice cream cone dessert!!). Tay loved the visit, he was talking about the Squisher's chickens all the way home. The boy really likes chickens. Funny enough, when we pulled up I told him to knock on the door, so he did, and then proceeded to let himself into the house. He ain't shy.

A good weekend, and thanks again Justin!

Dylan and squisher, good karma fellas. Was it a drag race weekend in Ashcroft? I have only driven through there a couple times on those weekends, never had the time to stop and check it out. Oh, if you play golf up at Semlin Valley, watch for rattlers ;-)

Good day at work today. All went well, nothing lost or broken.

Went to try and get my own phone line today, because I want to upgrade to a smart phone and it would only be an extra $30 a month for me, so I figured why not. Turns out my credit score isn't good enough and they wanted a $400 deposit just to walk out with the phone. I'd get it back in a year, but really?? $400 to just walk out with it. WTF?!?!?! Either waiting till November too upgrade on the family plan or waiting till my credit is good enough. Pisses me off you need a good credit score just to get a new phone line.

Day went smooth.. Got that oak up the hill from me down. Little glitch is we could not take it all the way down as it was supporting the gate. Hmmmmmm. I guess she is having it done soon, just not in enough time to get the rest of the stem down. Sold her a roof clearance and a partial removal. Go back in November.
Have some more rescheduling to do and that will help with my wait list.
A couple of prunes tomorrow.
Made some dinner, sharpened a set of chipper blades. Chillin with the kiddos and getting them settled for bed.

I went and had lunch with my daughter today in SF. The first pic is a test for Deva. It is a shot of the street facing south in front of an Indian and Pakistani restaurant. The second (not a test for Deva) one is a shot of my kid trying to figure out which moisturizer to use. Quite a dilemma apparently. I did a bid for a limb on top of a house in Turlock on the way home.

Attachments

• DSC00656 (Large).jpg
    DSC00656 (Large).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00655 (Large).jpg
    DSC00655 (Large).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
I got a long awaited call from the local state forest yesterday.
They had an order for beech veneer logs for us to cut.

Unfortunately I'm still clearing waterways, so Anders had to get on it.
Cutting vegetation out of creeks when someone else is logging big stuff sucks!

I don't think I've mentioned this, but I landed a 5 year contract for maintaining some 20+ miles of creeks.
On one hand I don't really want to do the work, on the other hand it'll keep me plus one more person busy part of the next 5 summers.
The way the economy is going, that is not a bad thing.

Contract work can suck indeed but the regular paychecks make it tolerable. You clear those creeks and I will keep my lawn mowing work a few days a week ;-)

Stig,

I can somewhat relate to the scope of your 20 mile creek. I maintain 1+ mile. When a big willow goes down it collects all kinds of stuff in no time. If you let it go the job keeps getting bigger. It is pretty much dry right now. My son has been cutting up a black locust and several box elders that went down in a wind storm in early spring. It is much nicer when it dries up. Doesn't always happen here though either.

I think what I do is different.
Since Denmark is very flat, water has a hard time getting to the sea.
Since the creeks, and drainage canals have such a slow flowrate, aquatic plants grow very well, and eventually start filling them up, so they overflow.
So we cut the vegetation away twice a year, to keep the water flowing. That means spending 8 hrs a day in Waders, either cutting or forking the cut stuff out of the water.

Downed trees are not in the contract. I just call the county's waterway superintendent and report them.

If there is a lot of vegetation we sometimes float it downstream and have an excavator grab it out for us.

åer1.jpg åer2.jpg

Had a bad day yesterday, just one of those days when you are not "ON IT". We had a BIG split oak to TD with a crane and I had 4 guys working for me which is unusual and I think added to my confusion. To start with I decided to fill a jug with diesel to take along incase we needed it, just then all the guys showed up and we fired up the trucks checked gas and oil etc and I forgot the diesel was flowing:(. As we were leaving I told one of the guys I knew I was forgetting something but the crane operator had called to let me know he was running early and would be onsite soon so we rolled. I got half way to the job and remembered the diesel, called the Mrs. and asked her to shut it off. Turns out she was out allready so she called my neighbor to get him to shut it off. He called me up to inform me that about 30 gallons had spilled and he was pissed at me and mentioned that if the EPA found out they would fry me. I was a little upset with the Mrs for calling him but oh well.

Got to the job which was a little sketchy, got a ride up to the top to tie in then pitched my rope bag down only to find that who ever hacked the rope last had left a knot in it 6' down. I put my flipline round the tree then undid the biner that secures the spliced eye on the hitch climber then undid the one that connects it to my harness so I could undo the knot. I threw the spliced end back around the TIP and clipped it back to the hitch climber but forgot to clip the other biner to my harness as I guess usually that never comes off the bridge. I then undid my flip line and was just getting ready to sit back onto my rope when I realized I wasnt tied in:|: Luckily I caught it as I was at about 90', no surviving that fall:O

After a long busy day I was driving the chip truck home and I had a blow out :roll:

Kinda down on the tree business and myself.....

Boy, that's a crappy day that could have been much worse. Blow outs happen, but the other two events show that your mind was not on the game. That was about as close as it can get to dying without dying.

I fellow once told me, "Luck is something that doesn't happen to you."

Back