How'd it go today?

Ha, they just called me to come back and remove two more limbs, so I went... an easy, extra hunnert! Sweet!

Probably take a hike today up near Huntington Lake. They asked that I take my ropes down the day I put them up. Levi got to swing and I got to climb a bit. I guess some gal decided to swing off a rock at the lake on a rope and hit a rock breaking shoulder or a collar bone and rupturing her spleen. They had to run the rescue crews out by boat to her, then air lift her out. I obliged and took my ropes down. The camp host at our site said he could tell we at least knew what we were doing, and loved the fact we were using harnesses and the right gear. Just the head honchos had a bad taste in their mouth from the accident and just would not allow it anymore. Bummer.
Kids are having fun fishing and what not. :) I'm good with that. If I feel I have to go climb anything I will just ninja it out in the woods :D

It happened the same day I set my ropes as well... I so totally understand their position on it. When I thought more on it, I would have had to take them down every time we left camp anyway. Someone else's kid would probably decide it looked like fun and hurt themselves. A lot of families here in the camp grounds. A lot of adults eyes lit up when they saw us playing.... :lol:

Fun day, but had some bad luck mixed in. We're calling it the bad luck tree. A lightning struck honey locust removal, maybe 20" DBH. Double leader. Knocked a few boards off a horse farm fence because I miscalculated the distance to the fence once, and then we had a bad bounce that knocked a few down. Easy fix with a hammer. Then, falling the trunk/remaining top, due to cracks and a slightly off face cut, we took out part of a bush. Nothing major, just little small things of bad luck. Other than that, it was a fun day. Climbing it was kinda scary, it was cracked everywhere on the main trunks from the strike. One trunk just came apart as I was felling it. Other trunk did the same when we cut it up on the ground.

Stopped at a friends place today. He finally got a real saw block to put on the wire saw we built a couple years ago. It's about 3 1/2 x 8 x 10 feet. Scaled 30,800 pounds. He said he's been waiting 43 years for this.

bigrock.jpg

Long day with my Sister at funeral parlor, lawyers and bank, but glad we got so much done. Havin' a beer & playing with the dogs outside 'til dark. Y'all have a wonderful evening.

I ground a stump this morning and was wiling the rest of the day away and got a couple of calls for bids. I was coming back to Waterford from Delhi and wasn't paying very close attention to my GPS and missed a turn. So I turned down the main downtown street in the middle of Turlock and this cop in a cop car starts waving me down. I couldn't think of what a cop would want with me and when I got close enough to see his face, it was Jessie. Just waving.

Brian... It's a block of stone; you cut it with a diamond-encrusted cable.

Greg... YOU WOULD. :P

My friend does architectural stone work. This block will make all kinds of parts. When we started building the saw in '04, he told me you don't want anything smaller than a mini-van to start with.:lol: Marble stair cases can use some large pieces, like 3'x8', or bigger, so the bigger the piece, the less time you spend setting up. In this case, situating the piece requires some serious equipment, but the 50 ton P&H barely grunted. He's going to mount a huge winch about where the chain is and remove the dipper stick. He's estimating at least a 20, maybe even 25 ton capacity with that setup.

That block on the saw is only about 2 tons. There are diamond segments every couple of inches on the cable. It leaves a very smooth even surface. It is somewhat automated, but doesn't really need much. There is a 2 meter radial inside that does all sorts of things unattended. Neat stuff.

wiresaw1.jpg

Went to grab some wood with the log trailer. Got caught in the worst storm I have seen in a while. Seemed like lightening was popping all around me on the ride home. Streets flooded out. No tree calls yet. The wind was pretty bad for about 15 minutes.

This is all I could find in a quick search for wire saw. This one is super fancy, but the basics are the same. This one works horizontally, the one my friend has is vertical only. You get a quick glimpse of the wire at about 0:17.

Been busy making plans for our trip to southern KY in my search for a good banjo to play. Think I'll be leaving next Thursday with a couple friends in tow. 8 1/2 hours there, time spent checking out the instruments, then the ride back..I'm looking foreword to the adventure...There are a couple down in Butch's area i was interested in, but I just punked out on driving that far...

I don't blame you; I hate driving. I'm hoping to beat the traffic back to LAX tomorrow.

for the price they wanted down there it was not worht the extra drive to see those instruments. they are good ones...just too pricey and too far away...

Back