How'd it go today?

I don't know if you guys know this or not, but I'm just a young feller still, and have lots of time to figure out what will work best for me and my family in the long run. For now, however, I'm keen on seeing a positive result.

Lots of time, great idea to at least get an inside feel of that aspect

Ok, I confess. I had to google that one.

Thanks for confessing.
That made my day.

We finished the last of our logging contracts today. In heavy rain, no less.

We just buckled down to it and worked till the last tree was on the ground and bucked, no raingear or anything. Last day, may as well get wet, then go home and dry off in comfort.

Going home wasn't easy, though.
Anders, who drives a 2 wheel drive car, was the last to come into the dead end skidder trail spur we were parked on.
So when he got bogged down because of the rain, me and Richard couldn't get past him to tow him free:X

Richard ended up cutting us a new trail and eventually we got out and pulled the stranded kid free as well.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was: LOGGING SEASON IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After whacking trees down for 8 months, it is time to hang up the falling saw and play arborist for a while:)

Not a day too soon, either. My elbows hurt from carrying big saws for so long.
Not 25 years old anymore.............................................:cry:

I spent the morning running errands about town, got my uncle situated for his transfer, and now I'm back home working on trying to get back into school for the fall.

I already have my associates degree in Electronics and Electrical, but I am looking to go back and complete my Bachelor's of Science in Nursing. If I can get into one local program, I could be done in two to two and a half years. Since I am still classified as a "displaced worker" I have a lot of grant options available.

This is my preferred plan, short of going back to a community college for my RN license. Both would take about the same time, but one school I'm leaning heavily towards, would put me in a category as a minority (opens even more grant/scholarship opportunities). I'd also have more prerequisites fulfilled prior to entrance into their school versus the others, here locally.

If I go this route(going for my RN license), and pass the NCLEX in Va, it would open me up with an RN's license with reciprocity in 24 states.

Well i went and checked on my 1995 4X4 Ford Ranger and found out what kind of damage it had.And the macanic told me that it needs a new center linkage that it was worn out and that he tighten the wheel bearing up.And it has a bad fly wheel but he told me when i find the center linkage to bring it back and he will put it in. And then take everything loose and replace the fly wheel on it.And then he told me to watch these chug holes for now on they do a lot of damage to a 16 year old truck LOL.

Doing a little land clearing this week. Broke the handle on my 394, borrowed a 385. Nice, for a small saw.:/: Had to drop five 18" to 36" pines uphill into the wind against the lean. Had to use the 17 tonne hydraulic wedge.

Another busy day. Cut down a total of three large laurel oaks on two different jobs. One of them was partially over the big fat 1.5" power lines feeding a relatively large area. I worked it down rather than wait all day for the line clearance guys. The line clearance supervisor showed up when I had it down to a 20' spar and tried to act important before going on about his way.

Second job was a bomb fest, wrecked two big oaks from one setup in about 2 hours. Honey bees were in one big limb that I left until last. I got it down without having to spray the bees and without getting stung. Called a bee guy to see if he wanted to go get the hive. Small hive, docile bees.

Had the interview with the City of Kelowna today. Went well, but it seems that my lack of a degree in Horticulture will be a big stumbling block. I don't think they'll offer me the position for which I applied, but they let on that they may have lesser positions for which they like me. Bugs me a little, paper over experience yet again.

Going strong with good results and happy clients. I also encountered my first bees of the season, its a go in the am bee free but as the rootball is pulled some from the recent storm I am thankful to only have the tree to contend with.

Slash and burn again today... Well... back at it anyway. Still tired from the trip up North and back. Katy too. We were both up at 5 am to start our crazy days. She is at work now and had school this am. Me... I made dinner and getting the kids a bath.
I took them for a little Jeep ride this evening up our front slope after dinner.. All three really got into it :D

Looked at some nasty root disease pockets after we raised/ deadwooded about 40 canopies from the bucket truck, and dropped few hazard trees in a campground.
Used the bigshot to take out about a dozen dead limbs over a campsite that were out of reach of the bucket truck. Probably 60-80' up, at the bottom of a tall fir's canopy. Saw the Resistograph in action on a Doug-fir. Cool machine.

We are working on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands between Bellingham, WA and Vancouver Island, BC. Very scenic. We got put up in a 2 bedroom condo with ocean views, looking out now at dusk, as I type.

Tomorrow, we will have flaggers, and will have some big hazards to drop, possibly across the county road. Hoping for no damage. More canopy raising in campgrounds for upcoming chip-sealing asphalt resurfacing.

Enjoying the new job, working with the Eastside Arbor Crew guys, as well as my boss (the two of us make up the Westside AC). Will be on Orcas Island until Thursday, then homeward bound. Personal business jobs on Fri and 1/2 of Saturday.

I'm putting on a new hydraulic pump on my bucket truck. The old one started leaking oil out the shaft seal when under high pressure. $491. Got the bell housing back on and the starter, tomorrow will see if I can get the tranny, driveline, and exhaust system back on.

Dylan, sorry to hear that you might be blocked for the lack of hort degree. An "in" with the city might be a good move forward. Proving yourself might help you hurdle that block. Even if they fill it with someone else, it doesn't always work out for a long time. The might be more willing to promote from within.

Back