How'd it go today?

I went to college at UC Davis in California's central valley. On the track team, when we needed to do hill repeats it meant running over to Mt Davis, a train overpass on the north side of town.

Today me, the kid and some friends of ours are headed an hour and a half to the east of here to the Bruneau Sand Dunes to go sand sledding and play around.

bdunes.jpg

I think that the older I get the dumber I get .

In my frustration of that old tractor I had overlooked the obvious . I completely had resoldered the entire commutator to the series armature windings but overlooked the fact I had one ground brush tilted . Damn it I'm a lot better mechanic than that or so I thought .:roll::(

It works so as soon as it stops snowing I'll get with it again .

My roof is only 5-6 years old. It leaks around the chimney flashing a hair. I'll take car of it in spring.

You were shoveling snow off the roof you said you finished up then?

The common roofers trick going around chimneys is to just butt the shingles up to the chimney and tar it up. It works for a little while, until the tar dries out and cracks. It isn't all that bad to reflash, they just don't bother.

Get the metal stuff ,it doesn't cost all that much .If it's installed correctly it won't leak .Fact you can get the morter in tube form and use a caulking gun rather than tuck point morter in if you prefer ..

I shoveled my roof a few weeks ago, this week I did my neighbors and her moms.

Ya, the tar is cracking around the chimney, letting the water in. Doesn't last long like you say. Probably re flash the RIGHT way come spring.

I usually get a siding guy to bend my flashing out of aluminum coil stock when I'm reflashing a chimney. The galvanized stuff isn't going to last as long, and you can often find a color in the aluminum that will go well with your brick/shingle color. I prefer to flash the old way, with bottom flashing, then counter-flashing over the top. It's simpler to figure cuts and angles than trying to do it in one fell swoop. And any chimney over three feet wide should have a cricket or saddle built above it to divide the flow of water.

I've turned down about six roofs in the past month.....feels so good. I've got three, maybe four left to do before I'm officially out of it. I keep hoping they'll call and say they found someone else to do them......

Well, actually I meant a built saddle, but for a smaller chimney that would work. I built a saddle above a chimney several years ago that was six feet wide. It really needed one.

When I built my house, I had my brick-layer lay the counter flashing into the mortar joints for an even better leak protection. I normally use a diamond blade on an angle grinder to grind a 1/8" slot along the top of each brick course where I want to insert the flashing. Then a bead of silicone to seal against wind-driven rain takes care of it.

I don't know if it's Audels or not .I snatched that off the web .I've got a set of Audels though on electrical stuff ,old as the hills .

Another tip I learned a few years ago, they make a fiberglass webbing, much like regular fiberglass matting, put up a layer of tar, cover with the 'glass, the cover with tar again. Keeps the tar from cracking and running off in the heat we get here.

End of a hard week here. Normal daytime was a woodland thinning job, which made a nice change. Hard though as on a slope, made almost brutal by an unrealistic schedule. That spiced up with the joys of emergency callouts on thurs & fri night (part of the job - gotta keep the highways clear in the area we cover) has left me tired.
Today however has been fine. Two walks with the hound, a fine meal & I'm having a nice slow and relaxed drink of a nice wine tonight.8) All's well that ends well:D

Back