How'd it go today?

I know the first day will be nerve racking if its a removal I will for sure be paying way more attention to the groundies, I see a tailgate safety meeting before I climb at all!

Cool deal, Joel. I did that for several years and it really helps keep the schedule filled without putting any effort into it. Just your referrals will keep your dance card filled so you can pick the better jobs and you don't have to compromise on price to stay busy.

Oh that sounds so nice don't have to compromise on price to stay busy I've done more of that this past year than ever before and it did not attribute to a good feeling at the end of some of them days when you knew you got paid but you knew it was under comfortable rate!

Well, you're only going to have time to do 2-3 jobs per week unless you clock out early enough to slide in some small jobs in the late afternoons.

Well damn .... Ain't much sexier than a gal that will handle a saw. IMG_4476ed.JPG IMG_4475ed.JPG
And Che will appreciate what I am saying about a woman and tractor too.. :D
Yeeeee Haw!8)

Attachments

• IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Congrats Joel! 30 hrs a week garanteeeed! plus the bennies. Hope it is all you hope for.
I bet the pace will be a little slower than you are used to as far as effenciey goes.

Cool Joel!

I do 24 hrs a week with another company, with the option of more hours during the busy season. Been working out great as I can fill the rest of the week with my own stuff. Biggest head ache if finding help for the three days on my own. Luckily this year I contacted an old friend and turns out he too works three days for another company, and the other days himself. So he helps me when I need it on my days, and I help him a bit.

I dunno...it just disappoints me a bit when I hear of people giving up the self employment road to go work for someone else. Got to live, and hopefully live well, but freedom seems a gift to take advantage of.

Good luck with the new position!

I dunno...it just disappoints me a bit when I hear of people giving up the self employment road to go work for someone else. Got to live, and hopefully live well, but freedom seems a gift to take advantage of.

Good luck with the new position!

Jay, It disappoints me that dispite working my arse off, I still can't afford the medical,let alone dental and vision and not that Social security will be there for me, as I'm sure it won't I am looking at my future. For me the stresses are the paperwork, keeping enough lined up. I have a problem feeling, I empathise and that when making bids is my down fall. I will miss feeling that I am in charge of my day to day and on the big dollar jobs the cash I could be making if it were my biz doing it but the stresses over all will be reduced. And with the profit sharing I have a reason to make it succeed as with every other employee.

Good day today. Weather was absolutely perfect, about 65-70 and sunny. I had a small referral job today, all polesaw work and cleanup. I called in a couple buddies who I do some bucket work for and turned them loose on the job while I tried to keep up with a rake and blower. We finished about 4 and I just got home.

If you saw me online earlier it's because I came home for lunch and to take a break.

Jay, It disappoints me that dispite working my arse off, I still can't afford the medical,let alone dental and vision and not that Social security will be there for me, as I'm sure it won't I am looking at my future. For me the stresses are the paperwork, keeping enough lined up. I have a problem feeling, I empathise and that when making bids is my down fall. I will miss feeling that I am in charge of my day to day and on the big dollar jobs the cash I could be making if it were my biz doing it but the stresses over all will be reduced. And with the profit sharing I have a reason to make it succeed as with every other employee.

Yes, there can be ideal or close to it situations other than self employment, with good people out there to work with. Rarer, but they exist. It seems that you have well thought about it.

Started a new project in Stamford CT. 3000 sq feet of new office and exam rooms for a health care center. Mostly Demo today no problem there. But the only route to the dumpster is 265 yards 1 way. Figure I walked 5 miles by 1:00 pm. Then the snow, why can't people in the northeast learn to deal with snow. Took 6 hours to drive home. Funny thing is, every high end BMW we saw was stuck:lol::lol::lol:. I guess high performance does not include traction in snow.

Had a bid for the daughter of my first tree customer in Olympia. A pretty cool guy that does all his own clean-up, brush hauling, and wood splitting. 2 medium doug-fir removals.

Seems like all I've done for a month are removals. That time of year, and what people are spending money on, I suppose.

Will have a bid for some pruning at a large private property upon returning from Chicago for a family visit, leaving next Friday. Also, the neighbors' 30 bradford pears need pruning and some bracing for included crotches.

Get to feel like a tree care person, as well as a removalist. The rigging over houses has been fun, I'll have to say.

Damn, thats a hike for you Mike!

I'm headed out to plow in 30 minutes, about 10-12" out there.

Yeah, but you gotta go where the work is. We do all the Community Health Care Centers in Ct. Don't want them looking to others. Spent more time traveling than working today.

Hope your arm held up ok Brian.

Ski Instructor Orientation today for Mountain Home School. They still have not decided which class I am going to get. But judging by what I saw today... probably B class of the beginners. Pretty much the same kids I had last year.
Nice deep pack of snow. Looks good for the season this year. Roads are a tad treacherous with rock slides, sheet ice and ice boulders. I saw one that had fallen off a granite face that was larger than a basket ball in the road.:\:
Sheets of ice cascading down the rocks was really cool looking.

A first for me today. I started a diesel engine that normally starts on gasoline, on propane.:lol: I have an International genset that starts on gas, then switches to diesel, but the gas side wouldn't run because the plugs were fouled because the diesel shutoff solenoid is malfunctioning. So, I stuck the end of a 500kbtu weed burning torch over the intake and regulated the engine rpm with the valve on the handle. After a bit, the gas side started to fire, and then I started as per usual. Weird situations have weird solutions.:/: After I got it cleaned out, I could then use the hand crank to start it at will.

Well, I hope today goes well. I am taking my daughter and her future MIL up to Miami to look for a wedding dress. That part be fun, it is the getting there that I dread. Mapquest says 2.25 hrs. I grew up in Miami, so I know how to drive on the highways, just been down in the islands so long that I dread it. Anyone want to drive us? Ha, John bowed out. :whine:

A while ago we voluntered to do a show of taking the tops out of two large doug firs to be used for climbing poles by a local school.
That got us a mention in the local paper.
The forester had told the journalist about our little trip to the big trees last year and she was pretty turned on by that.
I found out that she had travelled in california back in 81-82 and had a thing for those trees.

So she did a full article about me and the company today:D

It is in danish, but basically it tells what a fantastic treefaller I am ( blush!), how we went to visit the redwoods, sequoias and bristlecone pines and so on.

This ran in the biggest paper in our normal work area.

GREAT advertisement, since she mentioned the company name and homepage.
Twice, even!

I'm really stoked about this, bet we'll see an increase in private customers this spring.

I was talking about my younger years when I did the " have chainsaw, will travel" thing and said: " There aren't many places where I haven't killed trees" for fun.

That is the quote that is in bold in the middle of the page.

I may get picketed by the treehuggers for this:lol:

P1000142.JPG

Back