How'd it go today?

when the snow packs up like that I usually try to nurse the truck along skirting the shoulder, hope for gravel underneath and less packed snow/ice. or I turn around and go home, not many things are worth that kind of risk if you can do it another day ;)

edit: I guess no one carries chains?

I normally do all winter, just haven't put them in yet. Didn't think it would be nasty as we haven't had snow for a couple weeks. Just a deep canyon that never see sunshine this time of year. Just got above freezing so the top was melting which is g'nasty

worked on some small American elm today for a side job. nice trees, not too common around here. the neighbor says they came from a load of debris some one dumped in the creek years ago. now its a pretty little grove. pruned one and took down several others to thin the grove. all the brush and wood stays. i love it. kept some rounds for the lathe, and a couple limbs for spoons too.

This is what the pile looked like when I got there, hard to see how far back the pile goes and they were still bringing trees! They figured a bit over 600 trees

Attachments

• 0108111337a.jpg
    0108111337a.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 4
The muffler on your model sure does a number on the chute. No one called for me to chip christmas trees this year. I'd like to think that means our economy here is improving.

Gigi... Fly me out and I'll drive you :D

Awesome newspaper spread Stig... Congrats. :)

Thanks for the offer! We made it with no problems, found the dress and had a great lunch at Red Lobster! Long but good day! Oh, and did I mention Wally World and Michaels? (I don't get off the rock much hahahaha)

Willie, does your chipper have a blower on it?? I think my morbark drum would stop up a bunch with all those super dry trees. I need to put a blower on it..

If you drop the trap below the feed wheels doing trees like that you won't jam up. Willie's machine has more horses than mine so maybe doesn't even have to do that.

To deal with the soot part, in addition to tuning it up as best possible, I painted the portion of my chute which is above the muffler with black spray paint. Taped it off to leave a clean edge between black and white portions. I think it hides it well.

P1020688.jpg

Mine blocks on dead cedar, freaking sucks big balls. Luckily I have those two ingenious rubber latches, which lets the bottom of the discharge hinge.

No blower. Dead stuff is no problem. In fact this chipper rocks, the only times the chute has plugged is chipping plum trees loaded with plums or snow laden evergreens.
Before I paint it I will probably re rout the exhaust.
I have the guys clean out the trap mostly to keep the crud from pushing into the bearings.
As for the cones, it is every cone I currently own, they are still on there from the mall job where we needed them all every day. I have no designated cone spot on the other trucks, someday

I have 5 cones, 3 minis and 2 full size, I rarely use them but they are good to use as weights to keep stuff from flying out of the truck bed. :)

I could use more about 1/3 of the time, need to just setup the trucks with mounts one of these weekends

shoot I pay about $9 a piece for full siz cones, maybe I need to make a drive down to Oregon.... Funny that I asked my landscaper buddy this past summer why all his cones had C.of V. (city of vancouver) stencilled on them... lol

Back