How'd it go today?

Good experience Nick, if nothing else. Sometimes if the turbo "quits" it could be a boot slipped off the intercooler or some such, much more likely that just died on a bump and a quick, easy fix

I shat my pants when I blew a intercooler boot off the turbo. Where'd the power go???

That's what ya get when you recirculate the crank case vent back into the intake. Lame, OILY boots, boost, PSHHHHHHHHH no more powa.

Good point B. I was worried about my turbo on the F550 as the intercooler lines were oily, now I think about it though the CCV was routed into the intake like you said.....I feel better now:)

I shat my pants when an intercooler hose blew off my Scooby. Had just picked it up from having a load of work done, was going down a slip road to join a motorway booted it and just as it hit 1.6bar of boost BANG. Thought the motor had blown, no power and the engine died. Sooooooo glad when the guy got there after a phone call. He knew what had happened , had left it to the trainee/apprentice to do all the hoses up, guessing he got a kick up the arse.

Good experience Nick, if nothing else. Sometimes if the turbo "quits" it could be a boot slipped off the intercooler or some such, much more likely that just died on a bump and a quick, easy fix

Yea i called up the seller of the truck and he said a hose probably just slipped off. Its one of those things that I wished he would of told me the problems with the truck and be 100% honest about it and i wouldnt of cared, infact if i would of know about it, i would of bought the truck.

Heres the listing to the truck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...0e6QQitemZ130440339686QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

I found a reasonably priced source for AR400 plate this morning, gotta get on designing me some attachments. :rockon:

AR400 is about 3.9 times stronger than "regular" mild steel (A36). With the addition of a 200 mile round trip, I can get AR400 for about 30% more than what I pay for A36 locally. The biggest downside is the welding procedures aren't as lax.

When did I do the first?

The plate in my mulch bucket is tearing off the bucket, and the male adapter plate on my Thomas has broken its welds before. Both were from crappy designs though.

Not a bad looking truck, shame its not 4x4. Wonder what the hydraulics front and rear was used for.

Yea its not too bad, i just dont want to buy it and be stuck with a bad engine.

The front hydraulics are used for a snow plow, and the rear are for a salt spreader.

Crappy day hear today. Allergies or a cold is kicking in, so I've been going around in a sort of haze, brain working at 50% capacity. Hopefully I'm better by Saturday.

Moved dirt off some oaks today and then made retaining walls out of some granite they had from blasting the footings for a new house. Kinda sucked and my back hurts. I am going to try and sell the HO on some mulch for around the poor abused oaks we dug out... Kinda felt like this guy....
Except I did not split my pants... :lol:
708_Doubles_of_property_and_boat_1021.jpg

Then we burned some of the brush we had staged over there. Came home sore as hell...
Replaced a fuel tank and lines on an FS 250. Replaced throttle cables on an Echo 311U and 400U. Have a couple jobs coming up that I'll need brush blades and string for....

Katy has a cold and had to go to school in Merced tonight. School for her till Wed.
I been sleep deprived between her being sick and Lilly waking me up repeatedly any time starting at 2 am :roll: For the better part of a week :P
About took Robs head off first thing this morning (verbally) so the day kinda started off on the wrong foot. Now he's walking on egg shells around me. I was not in the mood for attitude first thing this morning..:evil:

That crap has been going around here Adrian, sure seems to linger longer! I've been fighting it off for about two months, finally on the downhill slope now I hope. Keep hydrated and take something so you can sleep through the coughing.

Good point B. I was worried about my turbo on the F550 as the intercooler lines were oily, now I think about it though the CCV was routed into the intake like you said.....I feel better now:)

On the drive side valve cover, you can flip the vent so the tube faces down. Then just pipe into the atmosphere. Plug the the other side and good to go. I just don't want to smell it.

I haven't had any issues on mine with the boots popping off. I figure I'm the only bombed 7.3L here? Max boost for me is about 26psi/1.8bar.

Two days of removals around a second home and turning it into firewood. :|: Mostly oaks. The customer said to just buck it up and leave it lie, but I felt at least compelled to pile it up. Topped one oak leaning towards the house, then when using an endless line puller on the rest, the tree that the puller was hooked to pulled it's roots. The cut was almost complete then. The tree sat back and fortunately we had another line on it for side drift, or I'm sure would have lost it. The puller attached to another tree and it pulled right over.

The guy doing the pulling part, he has lots of experience at it, but it was a bad choice. He said the set up was ok and I just went to cutting. Too small a tree to hook to and there has been a lot of rain of late. A dicey moment just hoping the tree played nice until getting it hooked up again. The second holding line was very fortunate.

After school today I went and did some practice climbing with Jesse and a few other guys around here. Jesse has a work climb set up at their shop, so I ran through that once, and practiced my foot lock, along with trying a few AR techniques and learning a few from Jesse.

Also got our Wraptor in today that we'll be taking down to the KY comp. Thanks again Paul!!

This one was a bit of a challenge. Property had originally had a double-wide trailer or manufactured house, with stick built house built onto it, to have trailer stripped down to joists, and the white plastic wrapped bathroom. The contractor will dig under the rim joist and install a foundation, then rebuild. A weird project.

A good distance up a doug-fir, had lost its original top, callused over, and had a secondary leader. Don't know how tall, but not short.
P1060478.jpg

Last log to drop from spar to remain at about 13' tall, so the lady can carve it (???). 28" would not reach across, and the saw that it was on was bogging down (dying saw), so I changed back to the MS 361 with a 20". Used a rope puller to pull it over. Had two wedges to support the slightly heavier side, with some of the pull line, pulling toward the lighter side, hopefully countering the side weight. When it dropped, the tension side ripped down to the sapwood cut.
P1060485.jpg

While at the top of this log, I through a running bowline around the tree behind, with another piece of the rope tied onto the running bowline. I had overhead (and off to the side) support while cutting the final felling cuts, then, once I was on the ground, I was able to pull the SRT climbline to the ground from its choked position. Used F8 Revolver style SRT.
Just piled brush, she and her husband will rent a chipper. No large wood cutting. Also, took down a medium rotten snag, and two small trees, also with spars left for her to carve.

I've left lots of spars like that before. We usually call them 'habitat poles' (or 'termite bait'). Sounds like the clients have made a myriad of poor choices in their lives. :/:

Gotta love it when jobs cost more due to someone deciding to start building before wrecking a tree! Did the butt of that last log come back at you?

I was double cutting, and left a rear strap, tripped from the rear, having the tree as a barrier in the event of it bouncing funny. Tree was wider than me, so I figured it was a good barrier. Ben wasn't able to pull that over on his own. Started cracking, but not quite. I jumped down to help pull, but we couldn't crack it free together. Ended up using a rope puller to winch it over.

It dropped somewhat flat, nose first by a bit, but settled down fine, bouncing off the logs that were on the ground. A happy customer.

Was a bit of a stressful bit with one block before this log. About 6-7 foot tall log. I was using an "undermine the center of gravity, sniped bypass cut" (anybody have a good name for that? Gord on TB called it the Magic Cut. I like that name. He's the one I got the technique from, though he didn't claim to invent it), letting gravity pull the blocks off the spar.

Anywoo. I was double cutting, and bypassed on the sloping cut on one side, as well as the horizontal cut(as planned), and when I did the low back cut, the block settled instead of tipping on its own. No rope on it, since they pull themselves off the spar when you undermine the center of gravity. I pulled up a rope, installed a running bowline down on the bottom of the block, not being able to hook it high on the block for leverage from below the cut, and without rocking the spar, and then after cinching up the RB on the backside, took slack and flipped the rope over the top of the spar to maximize the leverage. I'd wedged my saw free from under the block, and hung it. Ben was able to pull the block off. I didn't undermine the COG enough. The two compounded each other, I think.

Sorry if that's clear as mud, I'm tired. I'm not good about going to bed when I should when my wife's working out of town.

Back