How'd it go today?

I don't know any more Butch! I've always had problems, I have a crushed disc at L4. This is a fracture at T12, if I lie flat on my back it tends to hurt, but what is tearing me up is the muscle pain I get in my sides! Right below the rib cage on both sides just flat hurt! One day it's fine, the next it hurts like hell, no real rhyme or reason to it either.
Yesterday I worked it pretty good, so I figured it would hurt today, it just kicked in sooner than I thought.
I guess I'll have to go back to the Doc next week, because it sure isn't getting better, but I really don't want to do the damn MRI though.

What about wearing a back brace when you're working? One helps me a lot when I'm working outta bucket.

I may try to work on the garage door in a while, I'm sure that will end well.

I went over to help Andy with his garage door this afternoon. His back was still hurting so he put me up on the ladder and he did the lower work. He told me to lift up on the top panel while he adjusted from the bottom. He raised the door just enough for the top edge to catch me on the neck and push my head up against a ceiling joist. When he asked if I was alright, he mis-interpreted my groan of agony as an ok so he left me pinned for a few minutes until he finished. I had to catch a new handhold and before I knew what was happening, he pulled the door back down hard. Severely pinching my fingers with the door roller as is went down the track. I was in a great deal of pain by this point. Andy came over to steady the ladder but instead, accidently knocked the ladder out from under me. I fell about six-feet, landing flat on my back. Geez, I feel like I'm having an Andy day about now.

At this point, I don't really care if he gets the garage door fixed or not. I packed up my stuff and headed for Oklahoma.

I had a climber out today, to knock out a tree on one of my jobs. Way way old family friend, young, like me. We did good, wish I had more on the tree but nothing got broke, and we finished a half hour longer than I thought. Used the mini as a GRCS as we needed speed in lift the limbs after they were cut to miss the wires. Brushy mess, Norway Maple. Brittle, no high tie in. Hate 'em.

We worked well together, and hope to do so in the future.

After work, we went and did our first cat rescue. Sucker was hissing and clawing like crazy though and nicked Dad in the finger a bit. Lessoned learned, always have gloves

It takes some kind of thick gloves to prevent a cat clawing you. They can easily puncture most.

I like cats too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NmXxrMC5Pv4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NmXxrMC5Pv4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rain put off the tree job until tomorrow.

At night a friend of mine and his family and I went out to dinner at this Italian restaurant that opened in town, their opening night, are well know by the couple that runs it. We both frequented their former location by a lake, but it was out in the boonies and business had slowed. Great food, and pretty cheap.

Something bothered me though... We had this pretty extensive meal, and are old customers who went there on opening night at the new place. I would have thought that some little offering by the cook owner, some small dish or a pitcher of beer...whatever, as a freeby way of saying thanks, would have been an appropriate gesture. They weren't all that busy when we were dining. Maybe you shouldn't expect that sort of thing, and it no doubt cost some money to get set up in the new location, but I was disappointed. I did give them some bit of my time earlier when discussing how they could modify their existing furniture for the new place. I don't know if I will be going in there again, the tally rung up as usual and smiles when we left, but it bugged me. I don't give a crap about the free thing, it's just the idea. It didn't spoil the meal, just some lingering afterthoughts.

Door is toast. Taking apart and putting back together a 16' garage door by your self isn't advisable, just FYI.

There was a huge cottonwood closeby that stood dead for years. It had several trees growing out of the main trunk. I wanted to see it rigged down, but I missed it. I figured it to be a crane job, but was told they rigged it down.

Carpenter ants were in one of them today, the other bad one had some kind of a bug that lead to a big hollow section for about 15' that some kind of critter had lived in at one time. The other three were relatively healthy, one of the healthy ones geysered on me, but I got next to none of the cottonwood piss on me.

Made more firewood for another customer. Then ran short on the day. They did open burn season early as of today. So we got to salvage today with our first burn. :D The pyro in me is very happy. May only last with permit for about a week if we don't get anymore rain. But hey .... Made for a good ending to the day.
Tomorrow is soccer and I'll also be off on Sunday. See what comes of the weekend. I have some fix'it's waiting on me... :lol:

I'm trying to celebrate some good business successes.

Today, I put in a bid with a retirement manufactured home park across from a golf course that was one of my first jobs after getting my own business going about three years ago. It is my first business relationship that has been pretty consistent for work between this park and its "sister" park to the tune of a few jobs a year, pruning and removals. All nice residents.

The owners have gotten to the point of trusting the managers to spend their money wisely, and it feels like the management trusts me to be honest in my advice/ input/ recommendations, charge a fair price for a job safely done (which pretty much includes clearing every stray wood chip from the roads and sidewalks, lest a elderly resident's walker comes to a screeching haul when the wheel hits it. And, the old loggers that like to walk under the caution tape, through the brush with their cane, to come talk to us when rigging or dropping wood. This last bid was mostly posed to me as "What do you think we should do? Here's the considerations x, y, z. Send us an invoice to let us know what it will cost when you're
through."

also

My neighbor's a reasonably big realtor in town (Olympia's regional population is about 100,000), and just had me do a first job for his company, with the "just send an invoice and we'll get you paid right away out of escrow" way to the work request.

Those two victories feel good. Gotta celebrate some of the success to balance out the challenges and battles of business, especially starting up when the economy is bad, and there's a lot of out of work timber industry people around.

I've been around, Brian. I check here and there, but mostly sit in the back of the classroom, so to speak. It's just been slow and monotonous, Brian. looking for work day in and day out...

Back