How'd it go today?

Great day today. Went over to the Essex area and checked out the Mayer Shop a bit. Bought a few pieces of gear in their gear shop, and then we went and checked out the Atlantic. Pretty sweet views along the coast. Had some awesome sea food at a ocean side restaurant. After that we went and met Jim(BostobBull) at a job site in Essex and talked for a bit. Got to take a quick ride in a SWEET International Bucket Truck, pretty much brand new or close to it. Looking forward to coming up here and working with that company, after hearing Jim tell us a ton of stuff about it.

It is a pretty swanky company, eh?

I fielded a buncha calls this morning, went and gave a couple bids. I knocked out 2 pole saw jobs, the first paid for the new polesaw (Hayate), pretty pleased with it. Cut a couple limbs at ~28' with it.

Posting the trailer on Craig's list now, or rather on 15 of them in 4 states. :lol:

I bought an ARS extendable pole saw several years ago and loved it for about 6 months, until I had to spend $75 for a new blade. About that time I decided the fiberglass pole sections with a standard head and the $15 blades worked pretty darn good. Don't get me wrong, it's a great tool, but not something best suited for everyday use. I've used it exclusively for trimming my own oak trees in my yard for the last 4-5 years and it works great for that.

Broke a blade on the zubat pole saw again today. :lol:

Carl, don't pull a Brendon.

Buy something, then sell it shortly after. Shortly after that wishing you just kept it in the first place.

I snapped the last $20 blade on the 3rd limb, decided it was time to upgrade. Assuming this blade lasts as long as a standard Zubat blade with regards to sharpness, I'll have made $20k+ off it.

Cuts wicked fast/easy like, we'll see how I like it long term.

:lol: B, if I sell it for $10.5k, I'll get over my seller's remorse tootsweet.

It's all in the technique, Carl. If you're snapping blades then you're also probably bending blades. Bent blades don't cut so well either. You end up snapping them when they bind.

I don't think I've ever snapped a polesaw blade, although I've bent more than a few.

That's the only blade I've snapped without cause. The one before that was a zubat blade I burned holes in, cut wicked fast but the heat messed with the blade's temper, causing it to break at the mounting point. The one before that ($15 blade) was several years old when it was replaced.

Zubat pole saw has been breaking blades at the mounting point cutting deadwood. Happened twice, I've never snapped any other blade in my life (although a short one). The other two times, including today, was being in a windy tree, tight quarters somehow a branch grabbing and bam, SNAP. They have no flex in them.

This morning I went to Worcester today to start training for ALB inspections. I got called by my my boss telling me I had to go at 9:30 last night. The other guy decided he wasn't going. After a 2.5 hour ride I got down there and they said that it was postponed till the 12th due to the weather. Its going to be a long 24 weeks and sounds link the army.

Oh yeah Im getting payed for travel and gas but when we get rolling we have to stay Sunday thew Friday.

Cut down about a dirty dozen smelly siberian elms, a lombardy and a couple of pines today. More tommorrow. The bosses are away and our CuA with the class 1 is covering for them, but really doesn't want to do any tree work as he would rather roll around in the big sterling or fill the debris bins in the yard with the skid steer. Lazy git.

Been sick again, I think it's the flu. Woke up at three with chills, then sweat, upset stomach etc. Started throwing up at four, even chicken noodle soup isn't settling today.
Hope for a better day in the am.

Not sure Butch, Bubba is acting a little peaked tonight, he might have brought it home from school? I might have gotten it at the bike park yesterday?

3/4 done harvest! Short days due to dew and humidity. Hope the weather last 'cause I have a lot of tree work to do!

Go Brett.
Hauled a couple of loads of firewood today and did a bunch of running around. I'm estimating 20 gal of gas in the pickup today.

Hey, what do ya know.

More rain. We hammered through it though, taking down two fir trees in a tight spot, and some misc. dead wood around the property. Chip box smelt like lemons, from the fir. It was great.

Poured with rain again here too B. Put some 'duckbill' anchor kits on half a dozen Picea pungens that we moved last week with a tree spade mounted on a Bobcat.

Felt better, dad called, needed help getting the brake lights on his Model "A" pickup going. Got them going, then, "Hey, while you're here, help me wire the turn signals up to!"
It went down hill from there! Do you have any idea how much of a bitch it is to find 6v parts any more? I've spent over an hour and a half at O'Rielly's today!
No, it's not done yet.

Knocked off early today and sewed up all my old plow accounts. Might advertise for a few more this year too I'm thinking. Still busier then hell with no end in sight until the snow flies. Fighting a cold myself, but need to stay focused and get healthy. Starting to feel kinda burned.

Back